Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #1

can you run your home off coach generator

I live in Northeast Texas. I have a 2006 jayco greyhawk on CHEVY kODIAC Chassis. Due to last years snowmageddon I was wondering if I could run my home on generator.
BigJohnKub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnKub View Post
I live in Northeast Texas. I have a 2006 jayco greyhawk on CHEVY kODIAC Chassis. Due to last years snowmageddon I was wondering if I could run my home on generator.
Read this first: https://gelawncare.com/backfeeding/ There are many articles available on the internet that address the same issue. Unless you understand the whole concept of generators and grid, it's best to have a qualified electrician make that connection.

Now, to answer your question. You could do that but you might not get enough amps from your generator to meet you needs. If you have have specific needs, refrigerator, CPAP, etc., it would work. But there won't be enough power for your whole house.

Edit: Once again, please read and understand the attached article about "backfeeding" before you do anything.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:33 AM   #3

With a few modifications I did using our 08 SENECA (6000 QD geny) before I had a whole house geny installed, but it was limited to what we needed to get by. Fridge, micro, couple kitchen outlets, gas furnace ,family room, bedroom and bathroom.

As OnTheGo said with the correct transfer switch installed you could do it, but don't expect to run the entire house. If you don't have the correct electrical knowledge then you definitely need to get an electrician involved.

You need to add an outlet on the output side of the geny to plug into and also this transfer switch in your house.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reliance-30...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 02-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #4

Why not just live in the RV? We have a whole house generator but started with just a manual gasoline one. You need a transfer switch and proper wiring to avoid backfeed for any generator You can ruin your home circuits with a DIY job unless you have all the knowledge.

The RV is smaller in volume and heats more efficiently than a whole house.

Kinda chuckling .. We have just started winter in January with the whole month below freezing snow and ice. Three feet of snow.

Florida Bound before tomorrow when the next foot arrives.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #5

Keep it simple, just run the shortest heavy duty extension cords you can find to your critical appliances, furnace, fridge, etc. Depending on your generator it may not be able to run your 240v loads anyhow if you have any.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:51 AM   #6

Check the phase of your generator. I started to do a setup to be able to run my house on the RV generator and come to find out the QD8000 in my Seneca is single phase. In other words a multimeter across line 1 and line 2 results and 0 volts. Line 1 and line 2 are on the same phase. You will not be able to run anyting 240-volt in your house.
I called Onan and confirmed that. I asked if there was any way I could convert it to a two-phase generator and they said no.
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Keep it simple, just run the shortest heavy duty extension cords you can find to your critical appliances, furnace, fridge, etc. Depending on your generator it may not be able to run your 240v loads anyhow if you have any.
I have done the same numerous times. I run a few heavy duty extensions cables to critical things from RV. Fridge in summer, Pellet stove in winter…Just the basics when the power has been down for days, which is unusual.

Anymore the Lithium generators are your next best bet. Bluetti 300 for example for light duty, or whole house generator is the solution.
From 2001 Daemon Escaper
From 1998 Daemon Intruder
From 1993 Daemon Hornet
From Tent (BEST RV EVER!)
Jmorenz is offline   Reply With Quote