Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2022, 10:46 PM   #1

CB / Ham radio

Hello all,

I have a 2022 seneca 37K. I’m looking to install either a cb radio or ham radio into the open space between the front seats, ceiling level. I’ve seen some small president and uniden radios that would fit nicely there. My question is, does anyone have a freightliner mirror mounted antenna? These are the ones that have the mount on the mirror frame and wire through tubing. I see that Renegades have that type of mirror mount from factory. I’m not sure if that mount is grounded or not to the frame.

Thanks!
Born to Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:46 AM   #2

My 2014 (M2) came from Freightliner with a driver's side mirror antenna which served as the AM/FM dash radio antenna but it also had a connection for a CB on the multiplexer "box" behind the dash. But on your chassis (S2RV) they eliminated the mirror-mounted antenna. I added a SiriusXM mirror mount to my passenger's side mirror mimicking how it was done on driver's side; if one wanted to install their own CB-only antenna it is certainly possible. You just have to tear the dash, door, and mirror mount apart to run the coax. And a while ago the subject of antenna grounding came up, my AM/FM/CB mirror mount is grounded, I checked with a multimeter.

Freightliner offers a variety of CB antenna mount options on new M2 chassis, likely what you saw on a Renegade. Just depends on how they ordered their chassis.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
My 2014 (M2) came from Freightliner with a driver's side mirror antenna which served as the AM/FM dash radio antenna but it also had a connection for a CB on the multiplexer "box" behind the dash. But on your chassis (S2RV) they eliminated the mirror-mounted antenna. I added a SiriusXM mirror mount to my passenger's side mirror mimicking how it was done on driver's side; if one wanted to install their own CB-only antenna it is certainly possible. You just have to tear the dash, door, and mirror mount apart to run the coax. And a while ago the subject of antenna grounding came up, my AM/FM/CB mirror mount is grounded, I checked with a multimeter.

Freightliner offers a variety of CB antenna mount options on new M2 chassis, likely what you saw on a Renegade. Just depends on how they ordered their chassis.
AND.... the Freightliner antenna on our 15' M2 works better than expected - ask me how I know. Good SWR on the first test!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:29 AM   #4

when we use to go to the dunes with 4 wheeler, we would caravan and had a poratble hand held cb to communicate, it worked well, got tired of listening to the truckers do their thing though,