Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2023, 08:32 PM   #1

Chassis battery voltage monitor

Okay, new one on this 2,500 mile trip. In the last couple days my Vega monitor is showing the chassis batteries as totally discharged. I have verified with my multimeter that are NOT in fact discharged (~13 VDC). This visual fault automatically clears itself once I start the generator but shows this error whether on shore power, and or, just the diesel engine running and providing power to the batteries. I have looked for any obvious errors with the inverter and don’t see anything.
Any ideas? I am thinking at has to be a partial ground, short, on a lead wire? Thanks I’m advance.
R/Mike
Attached Thumbnails
CD35B7C0-C769-44C4-80ED-168AFB5FC043.jpg  
Lasvegasstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:05 PM   #2

This would have nothing to do with the Inverter, and Inverter only takes 12 volts and inverts it to 120 volts. Since you batteries are actually testing at good voltage, but the panel shows low, I would suspect a loose connection somewhere. It’s good to always post your year with a question but I checked your profile and see you have a 2022. I would start by checking all the connections at the battery terminals, then there is a carpeted box in the compartment just aft of the battery compartment. Remove the screws and pull the cover off and then check all the connections to the breakers and bus bars in there and see if you find anything loose. If you do t find anything there, then I would start looking at your grounds, most should be in the back, up above the trailer hitch or on the left or right side. Mine also had a small bundle of grounds up behind the entry steps, screwed to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
9DF40A40-A417-43A0-A7A7-910806B80F05.jpeg   5C4B6912-CB94-4577-9AA8-C088936F34E4.jpeg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:08 PM   #3

You’re a wealth of knowledge sir, much appreciated and will do. One more day and we are home and I can look into it a little deeper. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:27 PM   #4

Okay, problems found:
Poor crimps on a couple butt connectors on the BMI and other contactors.
Poor grounds and corrosion on the wiring loom back aft.
Fixed my AquaHot (heck yes!!) by resetting the upper/lower thermostats, fixing some weaping around some plastic/brass couplings and purging the system totally (burping) and letting it come up to temp on electric and diesel burner.
Now all that’s left (at the moment) is to get the door handle fixed/replaced. Hopefully we can solve this issue as we ramp up for our spring and summer trips.

Finished up our PNW winter trip, 2600 miles round trip, averaged 8.1 mpg flat towing our F-150.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:29 PM   #5

Oh, and I found the dryer connector to Bendix air dryer for the brakes was disconnected? Don’t know if a rock/road debris knocked it out, or?!? Strange. Dielectric grease and a couple zip ties and will check in the future on its condition to see if my “fix” worked.