Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 88
Chat with Seneca Owner. Looking to buy.

Hello,

I know there are quite a few Seneca owners here but was hoping I might be able to chat 1:1 to get some questions answered and just get general nuggets of wisdom before I get serious in my search for a used 2012-2016 Seneca 37FS.

Even better if someone is located in the Phoenix metro area . Feel free to PM me if you wouldn’t mind having a conversation about Seneca ownership. Of course, happy to hear feedback here as well. Areas I’m interested include:

1. Searching for a unit. Seneca’s are pretty dispersed across the US so when you find one that you think is a good match, how do you vet it out? Hire someone local to do an inspection?

2. Running costs. I’m new to diesels and RV ownership. Last November our family of 4 took a trip in a 2018 red hawk 31XL and absolutely loved it. The room was certainly “adequate” but more floorplan, storage and towing capability has us cross-shopping a Greyhawk/Entegra bunkhouse “C” and the Seneca 37FS, which is what we really want. I’m interested in the maintenance costs on the Chassis of the Seneca. I understand coach maintenance will be additional, but curious to know the types of costs that go into running the Freightliner annually.

3. Towing. I recently bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited to serve toad duty. Interested in setup and ease of towing with a Blue Ox flat-tow setup.

4. Storage - While we plan to use the RV for between 4-6 trips per year, anything special to consider with storage of the unit on down trips? I’m planning to pay for covered storage - too much paint & rubber degrading sun here in AZ to keep it out in the open!

5. Key modifications - What are the key mods to consider or MUST do? I know about things like filling holes in mirror, water tank support, ECU/TCU reflash, (want a unit with O/D switch), Scan gauge, Saft-T-Plus steering stabilizer, water heater, etc..others or opinions on these?

That’s it for now but generally, I’m in a position to consider the Seneca OR the Greyhawk Prestige/Entegra bunkhouse C models. Really want to avoid stepping up to the Seneca if that would be the best solution for us but also don’t want to ignore the differences in TCO of both vehicles. Love to hear feedback!

Thanks,
Aaron
__________________

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,485
I'm no major help. One mod to consider is the fw tank to burp the air so it will no syphon out your tank.
__________________

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (retired from towing)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
SloPoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Kingman AZ and where our Seneca is today.
Posts: 3,051
If you want to PM your contact information... I would be glad to give you a call some evening. We just finished two weeks in Kingman AZ, we could have gotten together and discussed / walked thru our 36FK model.

As far as annual maintenance, We have our local Freightliner do our annual maintenance / inspections - I attached the last invoice we paid.

As far as towing... we tow on a trailer. It adds a lot of weight to our total combined weight, but we are usually running right under the 33,000# limit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2019-03-19 184728.PDF (435.1 KB, 80 views)
__________________
Steve & Stacy with Jasper (Australian Cattle dog)
2015 Seneca 36FK
Custom 27' flatbed trailer hauling:
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 88
Thanks for that. This may be a new one that I’m not aware of. Is this the water or fuel tank?
__________________

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 88
Really appreciate that offer! Yes, I’ll PM you my contact info.

Thanks!
__________________

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Rustynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronL View Post
Thanks for that. This may be a new one that Iím not aware of. Is this the water or fuel tank?
I think he was referring to the need for an air gap in the fresh water tank vents to prevent the siphon effect that can happen. If you have read all the Seneca threads then Iím sure you have come across it, pretty common in a lot of RVís
Attached Thumbnails
04CE8A7A-6B44-4CC9-A8D2-08F091E319FB.jpeg  
__________________
Brian & Jeannie
2018.5 Seneca 37RB with to many mods to list
2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I think he was referring to the need for an air gap in the fresh water tank vents to prevent the siphon effect that can happen. If you have read all the Seneca threads then Iím sure you have come across it, pretty common in a lot of RVís
Ah, understand. SloPoke just explained the same to me. Thanks!
__________________

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 428
You are welcome to PM me as well and I can tell you of my experiences. That being said, you may have talked to Steve who saved my refrigerator when I first purchased my Seneca!
We looked for a long time so I do know many of the differences of model years.
__________________
Riley & Myla
2018 Jayco Seneca 37TS
McGintys924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
You are welcome to PM me as well and I can tell you of my experiences. That being said, you may have talked to Steve who saved my refrigerator when I first purchased my Seneca!
We looked for a long time so I do know many of the differences of model years.

Yes, I had a great conversation with Steve. Happy to chat with you as well. Really great folks here! Iíll PM you.

Thanks!
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 357
Go ahead and PM me...I have a 2016 37FS and can give you lots of info. I am in Albuquerque, while not the same weather, we share some of the same camping destinations.
__________________
2016 Seneca 37FS
DW+7 kids+2 dogs=bunkhouse required
RyRoRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
Go ahead and PM me...I have a 2016 37FS and can give you lots of info. I am in Albuquerque, while not the same weather, we share some of the same camping destinations.
Sounds great, Thanks will shoot you a PM!

Aaron
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
SloPoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Kingman AZ and where our Seneca is today.
Posts: 3,051
Aaron... I encourage you to take the opportunity to talk with everyone on this forum that HAS a Seneca... We all have different experiences, use our Seneca in different situations, have different model years and have different towing configurations. There can't be a better bunch of people to give you honest feedback on what the Seneca can / can't do that the folks here!

It was great talking to you... I hope we get to run into each other out on the trail/road/park/etc some where in the future... If you are in a Seneca, or anything else you choose - it does not matter as long as you are happy with what you have!
__________________
Steve & Stacy with Jasper (Australian Cattle dog)
2015 Seneca 36FK
Custom 27' flatbed trailer hauling:
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Aaron... I encourage you to take the opportunity to talk with everyone on this forum that HAS a Seneca... We all have different experiences, use our Seneca in different situations, have different model years and have different towing configurations. There can't be a better bunch of people to give you honest feedback on what the Seneca can / can't do that the folks here!

It was great talking to you... I hope we get to run into each other out on the trail/road/park/etc some where in the future... If you are in a Seneca, or anything else you choose - it does not matter as long as you are happy with what you have!
Thanks, Steve! I enjoyed our conversation and certainly do hope we catch up ďin the wildĒ someday soon. Will keep reaching out!

Aaron
__________________

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 880
Aaron,
Feel free to contact me at -
Ricgolding at yahoo dot com
with any questions or concerns.
__________________
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan Golding
Southern Illinois
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Aaron,
Feel free to contact me at -
Ricgolding at yahoo dot com
with any questions or concerns.
Great, thank you!
__________________

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Thompson falls
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronL View Post
Hello,

I know there are quite a few Seneca owners here but was hoping I might be able to chat 1:1 to get some questions answered and just get general nuggets of wisdom before I get serious in my search for a used 2012-2016 Seneca 37FS.

Even better if someone is located in the Phoenix metro area . Feel free to PM me if you wouldn’t mind having a conversation about Seneca ownership. Of course, happy to hear feedback here as well. Areas I’m interested include:

1. Searching for a unit. Seneca’s are pretty dispersed across the US so when you find one that you think is a good match, how do you vet it out? Hire someone local to do an inspection?

2. Running costs. I’m new to diesels and RV ownership. Last November our family of 4 took a trip in a 2018 red hawk 31XL and absolutely loved it. The room was certainly “adequate” but more floorplan, storage and towing capability has us cross-shopping a Greyhawk/Entegra bunkhouse “C” and the Seneca 37FS, which is what we really want. I’m interested in the maintenance costs on the Chassis of the Seneca. I understand coach maintenance will be additional, but curious to know the types of costs that go into running the Freightliner annually.

3. Towing. I recently bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited to serve toad duty. Interested in setup and ease of towing with a Blue Ox flat-tow setup.

4. Storage - While we plan to use the RV for between 4-6 trips per year, anything special to consider with storage of the unit on down trips? I’m planning to pay for covered storage - too much paint & rubber degrading sun here in AZ to keep it out in the open!

5. Key modifications - What are the key mods to consider or MUST do? I know about things like filling holes in mirror, water tank support, ECU/TCU reflash, (want a unit with O/D switch), Scan gauge, Saft-T-Plus steering stabilizer, water heater, etc..others or opinions on these?

That’s it for now but generally, I’m in a position to consider the Seneca OR the Greyhawk Prestige/Entegra bunkhouse C models. Really want to avoid stepping up to the Seneca if that would be the best solution for us but also don’t want to ignore the differences in TCO of both vehicles. Love to hear feedback!

Thanks,
Aaron
Hi Aaron,
I live here in Phoenix and keep my Seneca at my shop in Tempe. I would be happy to have you come over and walk around the unit and I can tell you about all the repairs I have done to this unit since taking delivery of it New in 2017. I too am a pilot.

602-315-3622 Kurt
Kurt & Veronica Tedhams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:09 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt & Veronica Tedhams View Post
Hi Aaron,
I live here in Phoenix and keep my Seneca at my shop in Tempe. I would be happy to have you come over and walk around the unit and I can tell you about all the repairs I have done to this unit since taking delivery of it New in 2017. I too am a pilot.

602-315-3622 Kurt
Hi Kurt,

Ah, a fellow pilot, nice! Appreciate the offer, that is very kind. I will reach out and we can setup some time.

Thank you!
__________________

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Thompson falls
Posts: 4
I'll listen for your call in the future
Kurt & Veronica Tedhams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Crestline
Posts: 18
You can give me a call at my cabin in Crestline CA, 909.589.2309.
We have a 16 HJ which we bought new. Tow an 03 Subaru 5 speed and occasionally a Silverado 4x4. Pevious rig was an 03 Fleetwood Southwind gas Class A.
We are leaving June 14 for a four month road trip.
Meeting a Fantasy RV tour group July 9 in Coeur D'Alene ID for 61 days.
matthewphilippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Thompson falls
Posts: 4
Hi Matthew,

My HJ is all loaded and the trailer is full of stuff to take back to the farm. The wife and I hope to pull out of Phoenix on Tuesday night. We like leaving at about midnight as the traffic is gone and the road surface has cooled down and it is not so punishing on the tires. We have a small farm in Thompson Falls Montana which is exactly 92 miles from Coeur D Alene. You guys will have to plan a day trip over the mountain to come have dinner with us while we are all up enjoying the Inland Pacific Northwest.
Kurt & Veronica Tedhams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.