Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2023, 11:08 AM   #1

Chewed wiring.

Well, I've been staying near Sonora, California* this winter and have been very disappointed with the number of squirrels and mice that think our engine compartments are the best place to nest and chew up wiring.

$2300.00 for repairs for my F-150, my 4runner wouldn't start last week. Two nests and injector wiring chewed through. I don't want the Seneca to fall prey. Interestingly enough, my 1978 F-250 is unscathed.

Diesel sprayed on the ground is a good deterant but not easy to do and the place smells like the Marine base near Barstow.

I ordered three Mouse Blocker devices, http://mouseblocker.com/
Two plug in and one battery driven.

I will tell you how they do when I get them installed.

*this isn't about taxes or politics.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wintering in Texas a couple years ago I had a similar squirrel 'nesting' event take place that blocked my TV cabin air filter. Fortunately wiring wasn't compromised.

The critter(s) entered through the outside air intake housing via the rubber drain flap(s) located on the engine compartment's upper firewall

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:53 AM   #3

When I camped at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument years ago pack rats were a big problem. Since the rodents are attracted to dark locations it was recommended to leave the vehicle hood open during the day, and to have some kind of lighting under the hood overnight.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:28 PM   #4

Fresh cab. Just remember to remove it before driving.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:26 PM   #5

Look at a company called NHOU - New Hampshire Oil Undercoating. Great company and they sell an oil based product called mouse-out. I treat the underside of my camper as well as my cars, lawn and garden equipment, snow plow etc. It not only inhibits rust but it has stopped all creatures great and small from wanting to enter, chew or nest in or on my equipment.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 02:01 PM   #6

A reason vermin chew the wiring and infest some vehicles, yet leave others alone, may have to do with the fact manufacturers are using soy in wiring insulation and even seat foam in some vehicles. Nothing better than making certain components of our vehicles "food"!

https://www.motorverso.com/which-car...-based-wiring/
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 03:29 PM   #7

Biologists have done enough studies on these critters to have data that supports the following: Squirrels are highly resistant to being in the presence of capsicum. They run from it the minute they figure out what it is. It's available as a spray product and doesn't harm insulation or rubber/plastics used in autos or trucks. I've used the powder version in bird feeders successfully as well. There may be a paint on version, just never looked. Mice on the other hand could care less. However, it's been proven scientifically they hate peppermint aroma. The menthol of it tears at their nose lining and they are an animal that is almost 100% scent oriented. This too is available in an oil based spray, but don't put both on the same stuff. Put the capsicum on the wires themselves, and the oil on surfaces under the hood. Someone once suggested peppermint tea bags, never tried that. You will need plenty of both since they don't last but more than a week or two depending on the weather.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:30 PM   #8

Well, I've had these devices a little over a week and they have really made a difference. Before I got them, the truck I just had repaired had a mouse eat more wiring, including a fuel injector connector, and I will have to get it towed to a dealer for repairs. They built their nest to include the mothballs that were there.

So now with the Mouse Blockers, my four traps under my vehicles are filling up everyday but no mice in the engine compartments.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #9

This won't work for everyone, but we have two full time outdoor barn cats. I'm not a cat person, but these cats are amazing. They don't roam and they eat anything that moves. No issues yet, knock on wood...
Old 03-29-2023, 04:07 AM   #10

I swear by the two barn cats we had for 5 and 1/2 years. Never saw a rodent and we lived 30 miles out in the Virginia country.

But now we're traveling in the motorhome, towing the Jeep. Not weekly, but monthly or so. Already cleaned out a squirrel nest under the Jeep hood. Bought two devices like Semix-Hex did and installed them two days ago, one in the RV one in the Gladiator. Also have peppermint oil on cotton balls at possibly entry points in the Accolade. Very paranoid about this.
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:18 PM   #11

When they had the winter Olympics at Lake Placid they laid TV and electric cables around the cross country ski course. The beavers chewed them up.
Bridgeengrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 01:07 PM   #12

I have and use all the mouse, critter repellents and electronic devices in all of our RV’s. About 2 years ago we were on the road for a year, Fl to CA to PA. The following year, I found evidence of a mouse that got inside my Onan generator, thank god he didn’t chew anything just a bunch of straw. I run my Gen once or twice on travel days, so who knows when he or where he nested. I now treat the generator with repellent and Victor mouse packets. Last year I used a different brand of packets from Agway, (feed store like tractor supply), I think it was mouse magic, the mouse ate the packet! So I’m back to the Victor that Home Depot sells. I am a fanatic about treating my RV, I do it once a month and change the batteries on the mouse replant alarms that I keep under my hood! Who know what really works! ALSO, my wife found out that manufacturers of wire use soy in their wire jacket! NICE!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote