Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #21
MD3

Sounds like a solution to my problem .... I need more power.
The 45mph rolling road block up the hills gets old fast.

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #22
Sam

Hello Ripples,

Could you provide the name and location of the Cummins service center that did your upgrades? If you could share their phone number that would be great. Your upgrades sound very encouraging.

Thanks, Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #23

Pretty much everything LSA376 said!

Safety margin of steel in front of you.

I would only add easy of chassis maintenance. I have read many post from owners who have complex problems that the Ford garage cannot handle do to the size of the RV, so you go to the RV dealer and after you wait days/weeks they are not specialized to handle the complex chassis problem. Even some freightliner dealerships only do RVs on certain days. However, when I tell a freightliner dealership I need service on an M2 106 I just get in the Que any day. I believe costs are less for many repairs; some repairs on diesel pushers require removing the radiator which the Good Sam ESP specifically states is not covered.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Would be very interested if you could expand on your upgrade. Do you possibly have a service receipt that lists what they did? Our engines were 340 HP with 700 lb/ft of torque stock, do you have any idea what they upped the torque to?
For many of us that could be the best money we have spent on our Senecas! Thanks in advance.
Yes... PLEASE share all the details you can ASAP.. even share the invoice (please black-out the personal information) so we can talk to our local Freightliner dealers!!!

I've got an appointment for Scheduled Maintenance, Inspection and Emissions next Tuesday - I would love to sneak this in on the work-order.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #25

F-53 to Seneca

After three seasons in my F-53, I purchased a Seneca. Some folks may disagree but after owning the F-53 it is almost hard to believe they are still allowed on the road. It was garbage to drive and frightening with side winds.

The Seneca is very comfortable on the road no matter what the weather. The fuel economy is roughly 2 MPG better in the diesel in my experience. This is likely due to the Seneca being larger than the class A Thor I had. This economy also includes towing a half ton truck that is heavier than the tow rating on the Ford so I never bothered to even attempt to tow with it.
Purdue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #26

Here is the answer. Sorry just picked up rig from storage. On Cummins ticket:
Calibrated ECM from DT 9015709 to DM 9015713.
From 340 hp to 360 hp and 700lb of torque to 800lb.
Was off some from what I originally posted. The cost was $864.
Hope this helps. Again with the transmission Reprogram, there is a difference on towing up hill.
ripples2ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripples2ya View Post
Here is the answer. Sorry just picked up rig from storage. On Cummins ticket:
Calibrated ECM from DT 9015709 to DM 9015713.
From 340 hp to 360 hp and 700lb of torque to 800lb.
Was off some from what I originally posted. The cost was $864.
Hope this helps. Again with the transmission Reprogram, there is a difference on towing up hill.
I took my 2017 in for yearly maintenance in Jan and asked exact same question at my Cummins center. Was given exact same info. Mine was $250 for the program and $600 for Cummins to keep under warranty. Basically the ecm wouldn’t let him update it without the Cummins codes or if the 5 year warranty had expired. I didn’t end up doing it as I didn’t think the $850 was worth it. He said bring it back after the warranty has expired and he could do it for the $250.
FYIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #28

Have you had a chance to drive it and was it worth the cost?
Old 04-04-2019, 04:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
Have you had a chance to drive it and was it worth the cost?
Yes, do tell us along with any fuel economy hits.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #30

Yes the upgrade made a difference in towing the Jeep up steeper grades. The transmission Reprogram help the most towing up the hills since the down shift in gear is now at a higher RPM. The cost was worth it to me since I didn’t feel comfortable taking bus to states with steep grades the way it was previously performing. I had my upgrades done by Cummins and Allison not by Freightliner
Old 04-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #31

Fuel economy was not affected. Still 10mpg
Old 04-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYIB View Post
I took my 2017 in for yearly maintenance in Jan and asked exact same question at my Cummins center. Was given exact same info. Mine was $250 for the program and $600 for Cummins to keep under warranty. Basically the ecm wouldn’t let him update it without the Cummins codes or if the 5 year warranty had expired. I didn’t end up doing it as I didn’t think the $850 was worth it. He said bring it back after the warranty has expired and he could do it for the $250.
I just had my 2014 reflashed this morning at Cummings. 360hp 800tq. $370. Drove back home 80 miles. Definitely better acceleration. Need less throttle to do the same job. Hope it picks up a bit of fuel economy. Looking forward to towing the jeep and seeing how the rig performs on the hills.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
I just had my 2014 reflashed this morning at Cummings. 360hp 800tq. $370. Drove back home 80 miles. Definitely better acceleration. Need less throttle to do the same job. Hope it picks up a bit of fuel economy. Looking forward to towing the jeep and seeing how the rig performs on the hills.
Were you past your 5-year Cummins warranty? Cummins here just quoted me $700+ since I still have some engine warranty left.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #34

2007 Seneca 35GS linoleum cracked

So I pulled the trigger and gave a deposit on this Motorhome... The owner called and advised me today that the floor in the bathroom area has a crack that spans from one side of the hall to the other. Does anyone know why this happened?
Attached Thumbnails
36DC0228-D009-44A2-81F7-E8CDC74167E7.jpg  
Paul Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Were you past your 5-year Cummins warranty? Cummins here just quoted me $700+ since I still have some engine warranty left.
Yes, the only thing Cummins warranties for 5 yrs in some emission stuff. Not the engine. This is what Cummins told me yesterday. I believe the engine is just 2 or 3 years.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
Yes, the only thing Cummins warranties for 5 yrs in some emission stuff. Not the engine. This is what Cummins told me yesterday. I believe the engine is just 2 or 3 years.
On mine they told me I had 5 years/100,000 mile coverage so I have almost a year left, hence the upcharge to uprate mine. Plus they are going to quote me an extended Cummins sponsored extended warranty when I take it for the reflash.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3381340_0516.pdf (463.6 KB, 16 views)
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #37

Quote:
On mine they told me I had 5 years/100,000 mile coverage so I have almost a year left, hence the upcharge to uprate mine. Plus they are going to quote me an extended Cummins sponsored extended warranty when I take it for the reflash.
They told me the same thing but when they checked it only covered some emission items. Been in the repair industry for 42 years and have found most warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. There always seems to be a loophole to wriggle out of the warranty.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYIB View Post
He said bring it back after the warranty has expired and he could do it for the $250.
Bingo, that's the way to do it. $600 warranty upcharge is absurd.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harrison View Post
So I pulled the trigger and gave a deposit on this Motorhome... The owner called and advised me today that the floor in the bathroom area has a crack that spans from one side of the hall to the other. Does anyone know why this happened?
This should actually be in its own thread. Was likely started here by mistake. I would ask this same question in a new thread. But while I'm responding, this is a 1st Generation Seneca on the Kodiak chassis. The reason for an irregular crack across the floor like that is likely that the motorhome was bounced very very very hard at least one time, and the frame has probably bent. The crack is approximately within a few feet behind the rear axle, which means its near the point of last support for that long overhang behind the axle. It's the point of greatest stress. It sounds like you are intent on buying it. I would advise that you don't do that. A simple stress fracture would be right along the joint of two plywood floor panels, and would likely be a straight line. I'd get the deposit back.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #40

Was just searching to web tonight and came across this site. It’s the first one I have seen for the 6.7 in Senecas.

https://www.magnumtuning.com/en/deta...40-hp---diesel

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote