Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2023, 08:38 AM   #1

Coach entry door flapping when driving

I am new to this forum. I have a 2021 Jayco Seneca Super C. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this major problem of driving at highway speed and coach door violently flapping in the wind? I have been to dealership several times. They have replaced the door. Was told the door was defective. When I picked it up from the dealership, the exact same issue continued. I returned the coach back to the dealership and was told there was a recall and they installed a magnet at the top of the door. It seemed to fix the issue but on our trip it began to flap violently again. We are currently on another trip and the door is worse than ever.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

kvick
Kvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:09 AM   #2

Common problem on these models. You can tweak the door. You’ll need a helper and a ladder. Have your helper hold a piece of wood between the door and frame, at the latch. Have them push in at the bottom while you push in at the top. You’ll have to lean on it a bit. Try it then check the fit. You might have to do it again. You want the top & bottom corners to touch just before the latch does. Helped a lot on our coach. Easy and free to do.
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:59 AM   #3

Common Issue and Jayco knows about it but will tell you they have never heard any complaints when you call. Our 2022 37K does this. I have not taken it back for the magnet fix yet, but I do lock the deadbolt while traveling and this seems to help a good bit.
Old 02-19-2023, 12:41 PM   #4

This has been a problem even on older units but has been much worse since they switched to the new style of door/latch. I personally believe it can be effected by unsealed floor, wall and ceiling penetrations and the build up of air pressure inside the coach when traveling. If you have the problem bad, when the door starts flapping, try opening both front cab windows and see if it stops of eases up. We have only had our door flap once on our 2018.5 but when we first got it, going down the freeway with all the windows and doors closed, the vinyl flooring would actually balloon up in the center of the floor. After scouring over the whole coach I found many unsealed openings for air pressure to build up in the compartments and then up through the floor penetrations. Since I have gotten everything pretty much sealed up, the flapping has never happened again and the flooring stays down. I was shocked at how many openings had never been sealed at the factory. I wish I would have started documenting some of the openings to help others but continue to find places after working on the coach for 5 years. One I was really shocked with was the hold on the rear wall where the wiring from the rood comes down the back in under our rear bath shower. This hole was wide open and as you can see from all the dirt, lots of air flow was coming in here....I always wondered why there were dust streaks on the walls around the top of the shower. Another one was behind the driver/passenger seats where the wiring comes through for the power seats....never sealed. That's only 2 of probably 20 spots that I have found.
Attached Thumbnails
i-8cvVhr8-X2.jpg   i-2vNJMKV-X2.jpg  

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 07:55 PM   #5

Seneca door integrity issues

An issue we have had to also deal with at about the 1 year mark into ownership. The problem for us was dual. The screendoor was the first to become overly loose in the partner door installation and produced an ever present " rattle, squeak, or whatever" during travel. That was then followed up by the main entrance door beginning to also rattle around after travelling almost two days across the plains in some very strong cross winds. Ultimately we also ended with what at times seemed to be a situation where the door could fly open so we adjusted to locking both locks during travel.
Ultimately our resolution....and it has resolved both of our issues (screen door and main door) was to first install some wide/deep heavy weather stripping to bring our screen door and main door into continual contact. That has resolved the screen door problem. As for the main door we first followed the earlier advice about "bending" the door to better match the opening...but...when that did not provide the solid solution we were looking for we had to once again install a "gradient" level of heavy duty weather stripping along the door and frame. It was not easy due to the need to custom fit the material all along the door/frame....but...has ultimately resolved the "flapping" of the exterior door even while driving in some pretty heavy winds. Oddly enough my wife reminded me that the tightness of the main door has returned to more of what it was like right after we purchased the rig....and she is right. This process has resolved our door integrity issues but it also has returned some of the latch tightness we had originally experienced. That had gone away during our first year and now I believe it was due to both doors shifting on the hinges with use. I am happy having to pull a bit harder on the door to enter.....but that is more than offset by the noise elimination during travel and no longer feeling the need to keep both locks engaged to avoid the entry door flying open during travel. Good luck on this one as a a couple of techs had no solid answers for us so it took a lot of trial and re-trial before landing on a solution that has worked for us. I expect over time I will have to re-address this issue IF the doors continue to flex along the hinges...but for now I have a solution that works and we are happy with.
Be well. THX
clpjr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:43 PM   #6

Rusty,

Did not think about the pressure being part of the culprit. Our unit only flaps with certain cross winds at higher speeds. The dealer is apply the magnet as we speak. I worry the magnet may fix the problem, but make the door tougher to open.

While poking around on my unit (for the few days we have had possesion of it over the last 12 months), I saw many of the same gaps in the 2022 model. Especially above the wheel wells. I plan on addressing those as well. The challenge for me is that I have to store our RV at a facility and I can't really work on it in my neighborhood as the road in front of the house is steep and not very wide. I either need to win the lottery or hurry up and retire so I can get a different house with a heated shop big enough for the RV! I have so many tinkering projects I want to get done on it.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 06:00 PM   #7

Seems like you have great answers. I'd like to say welcome!
Old 02-21-2023, 09:11 AM   #8

Imagine the air flowing around the front corner of the cab and house. It’s no wonder the door flaps. I see that Newmar has located their door back about 6-8 feet from the front corner. I’ll bet their door doesn’t flap.
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:44 PM   #9

The door on our little rig is at the back and takes a lot of torqueing, twisting, bouncing and in general is a little problematic to keep fitting correctly. Takes a fair amount of regular tweaking. Once it flew open and was flapping in the breeze. Wouldn't stay shut. Dropped into Gallatin Valley Jayco dealer outside of Bozeman and he said, "Do you lock the dead bolt?" Now we do and have never had a problem since. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever locked the door handle since. : /
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:32 PM   #10

I have had the Jayco magnet installed and drove in 40 mph winds this past weekend and no flapping, it works great. 22 37M
Utrzrdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvick View Post
I am new to this forum. I have a 2021 Jayco Seneca Super C. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this major problem of driving at highway speed and coach door violently flapping in the wind? I have been to dealership several times. They have replaced the door. Was told the door was defective. When I picked it up from the dealership, the exact same issue continued. I returned the coach back to the dealership and was told there was a recall and they installed a magnet at the top of the door. It seemed to fix the issue but on our trip it began to flap violently again. We are currently on another trip and the door is worse than ever.

kvick
We had the same problem. When you looked out the bottom of the door while being driven, not to mention when sitting still. We could see the entire area below, steps, ground, etc. it was over a 3” gap from the coach to where the door was. Took us about six months, they finally replaced the door and then Replaced the latch, it wasn’t making a good connection. Good luck.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvick View Post

kvick

I had the same problem on my Greyhawk 29 mv. During a trip to the Southwest the winds were brutal and my door was flapping like crazy. I tried to adjust the door, no joy. I found a solution on this forum. Use some D channel weather stripping (made by 3M) around the entire door. Use the smallest diameter you can find. It will be hard to close and latch the door at first, but after some time the D channel rubber compresses and all is well. No more flapping even in high winds..
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:17 PM   #13

I used velcro the soft side, used 3 pieces about inch square, 1 top corner 1 behind door latch 1 bottom corner. Took all freeplay out, You can slam the door no rattle Patient PENDING
Poorboy1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:41 PM   #14

I just pulled the striker bolt in a bit and put some weather stripping between the doors also if you make sure to deadbolt it it doesn't flat near as much
Cornpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:44 PM   #15

Just picked up unit from the Dealer after they had it since October. One of the items I had them fix was the flapping door. This is the Jayco factory solution. Not sure how well it works yet as we did not travel far to our first destination.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8290.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	86989

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8291.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	86990
Old 03-22-2023, 09:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
Just picked up unit from the Dealer after they had it since October. One of the items I had them fix was the flapping door. This is the Jayco factory solution. Not sure how well it works yet as we did not travel far to our first destination.
Hi,
We are waiting for our 'recall fix' which I assume is this magnet attachment as well. Curious if it makes it more difficult to open the door?

Thanks,
James
737SimGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:21 PM   #17

I was worried about the magnet making it tougher to open. It does not seem to affect it much at all.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
I was worried about the magnet making it tougher to open. It does not seem to affect it much at all.
Great thank you! Now to see if it actually works LOL
737SimGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:15 PM   #19

I have this same issue but whenever I hear the banging door and take a quick peak, I see the gap at the top of the door also. Just wondered if they installed magnets at the top and bottom? Have you found this corrected the banging door while in motion?
Barxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:49 PM   #20

My Bad, I just noticed your pics were posted sideways, and the magnet is in fact at the top of the door, just under the drip rail.
Barxy is offline   Reply With Quote