Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #1

Coachnet roadside assistance question

Dumped AAA due to their terrible service. Thinking of going with Coachnet but they have several options so trying to decipher what I should have;

Roadside Assistance
Tire & Wheel
Service Agreement
Paint & Fabric Protection

Confused because it seems that some of the services are redundant. Opinions from those familiar with Coachnet welcome and TYIA!
1Chillyharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:53 PM   #2

I haven't used Coachnet services, but it's my understanding they are the best. However, their prices went way up so I went with Good Sam roadside. If you go with Coachnet, go with their roadside service.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I haven't used Coachnet services, but it's my understanding they are the best. However, their prices went way up so I went with Good Sam roadside. If you go with Coachnet, go with their roadside service.
Thank you Don
Old 04-14-2021, 09:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Chillyharley View Post
Dumped AAA due to their terrible service. Thinking of going with Coachnet but they have several options so trying to decipher what I should have;

Roadside Assistance
Tire & Wheel
Service Agreement

Confused because it seems that some of the services are redundant. Opinions from those familiar with Coachnet welcome and TYIA!
We had Coachnet when we had an axel failure on a new 5th wheel. They were worthless. Left us stranded on the side of the road for 6 hours. Longer really because they never did send help. We spoke to them 5x by phone, about hourly, we initiated every call, they never called back to say they found a tow service. The one call they initiated to us was in hour 6 to say that they have called us in to 911 as an unsafe emergency stop on the highway. They said the cops would have better luck getting a tow service to take us 20 miles back to the closest town.

Then they had the audacity to call us the next day ask how we liked their service. I unloaded on the woman. The short version was: you called 911!?! That was your service!?

I saw a Les Schwab truck drive by. Called them, they gave me a number for a guy who would come out. I paid that guy $200 for his service.

I wouldn't take Coachnet for free. Keep shopping. Maybe they're all this bad. But you know the story, screw me once... Screw me twice...

End Rant
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
We had Coachnet when we had an axel failure on a new 5th wheel. They were worthless. Left us stranded on the side of the road for 6 hours. Longer really because they never did send help. We spoke to them 5x by phone, about hourly, we initiated every call, they never called back to say they found a tow service. The one call they initiated to us was in hour 6 to say that they have called us in to 911 as an unsafe emergency stop on the highway. They said the cops would have better luck getting a tow service to take us 20 miles back to the closest town.

Then they had the audacity to call us the next day ask how we liked their service. I unloaded on the woman. The short version was: you called 911!?! That was your service!?

I saw a Les Schwab truck drive by. Called them, they gave me a number for a guy who would come out. I paid that guy $200 for his service.

I wouldn't take Coachnet for free. Keep shopping. Maybe they're all this bad. But you know the story, screw me once... Screw me twice...

End Rant
OMGosh! DejaVu with our two incidents with AAA!!!!!! Why I cancelled and looking. Geesh, that doesn't sound good
Old 04-14-2021, 10:01 PM   #6

I agree. But I'm beginning to think they're all the same. I've read other user posts saying what a great experience they had with one company or another. But nothing beats first hand experience. I guess in the end we have to learn how to manage any roadside problem.

On the upside I learned how to remove a bad wheel (that part I knew), jam a 4x6 into the suspension to keep the axle without the wheel from hanging low, and drive the RV on three wheels back into town. That's something everybody should know how to do.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #7

Quote:
I agree. But I'm beginning to think they're all the same...
Yeah, I have to agree. I've heard horror stories about GS also. Who to go with is a bit of a tough decision. When you have a roadside problem, you gotta be prepared to deal the best you can and hope for the best.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #8

Maybe the way to look at roadside service is to think of it like buying a lottery ticket. Winning equals good service, but very bad odds. Be self reliant, plan ahead, hope you don't need it, but buy it anyway. Maybe we'll hit the lottery and the service will be useful. But probably we'll get nothing for the cost of the ticket. And we'll have to solve the problem ourselves, be it by manual labor or by working the phone.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:41 AM   #9

1CH, what kind of RV do you have? A travel trailer with 1 or 2 axles, a 5th wheel, motorhome?

What do you take with you on the road to deal with tires and wheels?
Old 04-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
I agree. But I'm beginning to think they're all the same. I've read other user posts saying what a great experience they had with one company or another. But nothing beats first hand experience. I guess in the end we have to learn how to manage any roadside problem.

On the upside I learned how to remove a bad wheel (that part I knew), jam a 4x6 into the suspension to keep the axle without the wheel from hanging low, and drive the RV on three wheels back into town. That's something everybody should know how to do.
I carry heavy duty ratchet straps for this purpose. A bit easier to both carry and deploy. I've heard so many horror stories from RV owners that are deficient in the mechanical skills needed to not only maintain the every day stuff but in handling roadside emergencies. This lifestyle is not for the faint of heart!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I carry heavy duty ratchet straps for this purpose. A bit easier to both carry and deploy. I've heard so many horror stories from RV owners that are deficient in the mechanical skills needed to not only maintain the every day stuff but in handling roadside emergencies. This lifestyle is not for the faint of heart!!
How would you utilize the ratchet strap, if it can be, in this scenario... double axle with one of the four wheels removed? I don't think it would matter TT or 5er. The axel with the missing wheel would want to hang down low to the ground on the missing wheel side. The underbelly of our rig is covered with coroplast. I can't envision how to utilize the ratchet strap in this situation.
Solar, Lithium, Inverter
Old 04-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #12

We jammed a 4x6 about a foot long in between the suspension rocker on the good wheel side. This prevented the rocker from moving up, thereby preventing the rocker from dropping low on the missing wheel side..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181003_172730374.jpg   IMG_20181003_182856912.jpg   IMG_20181003_182848904.jpg  
Old 04-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #13

Quote:

Roadside Assistance
Tire & Wheel
Service Agreement

We had Coachnet for 1 year free - absolutely worthless because we still had to pay for the service. And the company didn't bother to check the 5ver, just our F450.

We have had AAA, then AAA RV Plus and now AAA Premier for over 30 years. So far (knock on wood here) we haven't had any issues with them. In 2000, crossed a floating bridge on I-70 in the middle of nowhere Utah & broke off the hub & lost the tire on the 5ver. After walking about 1/4 mile & multiple tries to get phone service, 911 was able to understand we were broken down. Unfortunately 911 did not understand everything DW told them so only sent a tow truck. The closest town was 45 miles back so we spent the night on the side of the road (kids slept in the trailer with word to NOT open the door for anything & DW & I slept in the truck) - well off but still on the side of the road.

We have also had Good Sam's Roadside Assistance as a back up but never used it.

DW has been reading about AAA and apparently AAA services that we signed up for are not the same as AAA services one might sign up for in say Connecticut. Not sure how that works because I thought it doesn't matter, AAA was AAA.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
We had Coachnet for 1 year free - absolutely worthless because we still had to pay for the service. And the company didn't bother to check the 5ver, just our F450...
I've given a lot of thought to roadside service since our incident. For me, it's 1) getting the RV off the side of the road and 2) back to town somewhere with a likelihood of repair.

But just what exactly can they do? Yes it is possible to get a TT up onto a flat bed. But it ain't going to be easy unless they have the sort of transport trailer manufacturer's use to deliver to dealers. Those setups are rare, and not likely to be available in BFE. And a 5er, their never going to get that onto a trailer.

In essence, no matter the problem, the RV will likely have to be able to roll on it's own wheels back to civilization. There is no easy, common, way to transport a TT or 5er.

I think we need to be able to get the RV rolling and towable by ourselves. And in a worse case scenario we need to know what we'd do if we had to leave it on the side of the road and had to go back to town without it. Know how to take all your important valuables and papers with you.

I think they sell peace of mind, not solutions. I don't have the answer. I just know it's up to me to solve all problems. And I have to know how to triage a situation.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #15

Quote:
1CH, what kind of RV do you have? A travel trailer with 1 or 2 axles, a 5th wheel, motorhome?

What do you take with you on the road to deal with tires and wheels?
Mike, after years of using a TT we have a new-to-us 2008 Seneca. AAA really let us down twice with our TT and with a MH now I want to be sure I have some help if needed. I am usually the one who deals with troubles because hubby just isn't "mechanical" but there is only so much I can do due to lack of knowledge or just not having the strength to accomplish some things. We haven't started traveling yet because we are still in the getting-ready stage, one of which is finding roadside service and learning what I should carry.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #16

Quote:
How would you utilize the ratchet strap, if it can be, in this scenario... double axle with one of the four wheels removed? I don't think it would matter TT or 5er. The axel with the missing wheel would want to hang down low to the ground on the missing wheel side. The underbelly of our rig is covered with coroplast. I can't envision how to utilize the ratchet strap in this situation.
I've got a steel support brace just forward of my front axle. I can wrap the strap around it and ratchet it tight to suspend the bad one. If it happens to be the rear axle it would be a bit more difficult but still doable.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Mike, after years of using a TT we have a new-to-us 2008 Seneca. AAA really let us down twice with our TT and with a MH now I want to be sure I have some help if needed. I am usually the one who deals with troubles because hubby just isn't "mechanical" but there is only so much I can do due to lack of knowledge or just not having the strength to accomplish some things. We haven't started traveling yet because we are still in the getting-ready stage, one of which is finding roadside service and learning what I should carry.
I had to Google it, so it's a Super-C (big class C motorhome)? I'm sorry but I'm at a total loss for suggestions, save one. Since we're not really talking about fixing an RV related issue (for which I would call a mobile tech) I think I would explore the idea of who a (smallish) trucker would call for vehicle related roadside service. Something like Goodyear has, or Les Schwab in the northwest part of the country. Maybe see what companies service the area of the country you'll be driving through so you know who you can call from where.

I picked up two nails in one tire at the same time. I googled and found a truck stop with a commercial Goodyear service on the premises. Told them I had a 5er and explained the nails. Because I could still pull they said bring it in. Maybe because of the size of your rig they'd come to you with with commercial tire truck. I'm thinking your tires are probably big enough they'd carry them.

Just a thought.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #18

Make sure to check the fine print. Saw a post recently where someone paid $1800.00 to tow a Super C. I have a Super C which weighs 33,000 lbs. I will not be working on this rig. I have Roadside Assistance through FMCA. There are several worthwhile benefits just being a club member.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #19

This is the service they provide as a member. It is called FMCAssist.

Medical Evacuation and Repatriation
Return Home
Family Travel Expense
Return of Mortal Remains
Return of Dependent Children
Recreational Vehicle/RV Return (limited to trips in North America only)
Return of Private Passenger Automobile (limited to trips in North America only)
Pet Return
Prescription Medication and Glasses Replacement
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefits
Emergency Cash and Emergency Room Cash Benefits

My wife has never driven our motorhome and has no desire. If I'm incapacitated FMCAssist takes over.

I also have the Roadside Assistance I pay for.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:22 PM   #20

Quote:

Roadside Assistance
Tire & Wheel
Service Agreement

Just to make sure you saw this. There's some info about insurance companies covering towing etc...

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...m_medium=email