Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #1

Code Reader for S2RV with Cummins Engine

As this request will demonstrate, I know just enough on this topic to be dangerous.

Having said that, does anyone know the protocol for using a code reader with the 2019 S2RV Freightliner Chassis with the Cummins 360 HP engine? One is OBDII but there are others.

Full disclosure, I had a check engine light pop up on a recent return trip and ordered and received a NEXAS NL102 Reader that is supposed to work with several of the protocols.

However, by the time I received it and went to the storage location, the code had cleared itself so I don't know if the code reader is the correct one and I don't know what caused the check engine light.

Thanks for any assistance,

Jim Duncan
2019 Seneca 37RB
Jpdunc9251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #2

Failure codes

Most vehicle computers store the codes even after the engine light has self reset. You should try the code reader to see any stored codes. The code history should be there.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:05 AM   #3

Freightliner uses J1939 protocol, many have tried cheaper readers or adapters for OBD2 readers that say they will work only to find out they don’t. Many codes that pop up and clear usually lead to a sensor showing a high or low voltage reading in the ecu’ s scanning cycle and it will hold that code for 3 keyed run cycles of 5 minutes or more. If the ecu does not see any issues within these 3 key/run cycles, it clears. Most scanners for trucks are expensive but IMO the best alternative is Bluefire for Motorhomes, it can be used as a Bluetooth engine monitor but also can be used to read and clear codes. The module plugs right into the port and connects via Bluetooth to a free app, I monitor many vital things on mine on an iPad mini mounted above the drivers seat and can monitor things like DEF temp and quality. If you do a search on the forum, you will find a lot of information on this system.

https://www.bluefire-llc.com/store/9...j1708-adapters
Attached Thumbnails
9F656631-4307-410F-8187-AA5716A03058.jpg   42C5A3BE-06D9-44EE-B01F-40B531C5F84D.jpg  

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:14 PM   #4

I bought the Bluefire adapter and used its software on my iPhone to see the cause my my dash check-engine light, and to reset it. Better than a dedicated code-reader, since it shows all the real time data, and its super easy to use.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:49 PM   #5

X2 on the bluefire
There is a lot of information on it in this thread:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eca-75955.html
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:13 PM   #6

Yep, Bluefire. Mounted like Rustynuts on a cheap Android 8" tablet in the same location.
I have my OBD first going to a splitter so I also can have my Scangauge-D running.

Redundant? Can be, but I keep different info displayed and already had the floor console with the Scangauge cutout before I knew of Bluefire. So I use the Scangauge for tracking instant and average MPG's and fuel used. The Bluefire is for engine data, temps, DEF info, etc.

I'm happy with it.
DonkeyFluffer is online now   Reply With Quote