Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #1

cold seneca cab

Our 2018 Seneca ts in cold weather the cab is very COLD, have to hang a heavy blanket as a divider to control some of cold air draft this of course is while going down the highway, Any Seneca owners have this problem?if so what did you do to fix it ?
tallcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #2

This probably should be on the class c site.
If you check and search there you will find a bunch of common fixes for this issue. Some have used heavy quilts to help slow the heat loss.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

Thumbs up seneca post

I thought I posted it on the class c site , where did it end up ?thank you for telling me
Old 06-27-2019, 05:20 AM   #4

I am no longer sure where it was. I thought I was reading the class a site but now it is on the class c site.... anyway I think robbbyr did a write up on this and reused the bed quilt as a insulated wall.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #5

Yep... every class C and every Super C we have owned have no insulation in the cab to speak of. Be it hot weather where most of the heat comes in from the cab, or cold weather.

We have camped in our Senca in 115-F temperatures, and in +5-F temperatures for days at a time. You have to take the same approach with your C-Class as you do with your own wardrobe - layers. We use a layer of silver back insulation on the side and front windows, then the wrap around curtain that Jayco provided. If the temperatures are going to be extreme, then we have put the curtain/blanket over the opening from the cab -2- coach to eliminate the last drafts.

When we are 'on the road' in hot/cold climate... we fire up the genny and run the AC units in the Seneca, or will run the electric heaters we bring in the Seneca. (can not run the electric fireplace with our slide in like HJ owners can)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I am no longer sure where it was. I thought I was reading the class a site but now it is on the class c site.... anyway I think robbbyr did a write up on this and reused the bed quilt as a insulated wall.
Yes, dear wife "repurposed" our original quilted bedspread as a cab divider. She even buttonholed the openings for the bunk ladder hooks. We also sill use the reflective sunshields on the inside of the cab. Combined it helps considerably.
Attached Thumbnails
20150905_071028.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:24 AM   #7

Our queen size above the cab bed is seldom used. During extreme cold or hot, we close it off entirely. I detached the curtain from the side wall and we can bring the TV all the way out flat and put the curtain behind it. Absolutely amazing how much difference it makes, especially in hot weather. Feel it would do the same in extreme cold. We will also isolate the truck cab from the Seneca cabin with heavy blankets or quilts in extreme cases.
Of course, the absolute measure for extreme temps is to bring the slides in. Not as much outside wall exposure and a smaller air space to cool or heat. And the last suggestion is get in the driver's seat and move the unit to a more comfortable climate. Just had to add that. ;-)
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:27 AM   #8

Wow! Was thinking about going from a high end fifth to the Seneca, didn’t ever hear about the cold and hot issue!
2014KTPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014KTPS View Post
Wow! Was thinking about going from a high end fifth to the Seneca, didn’t ever hear about the cold and hot issue!
It's not really an issue... think about the big Class A windshields... those are facing the same thing as the Seneca. No insulation, lots of sunshine beating in.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallcott View Post
Our 2018 Seneca ts in cold weather the cab is very COLD, have to hang a heavy blanket as a divider to control some of cold air draft this of course is while going down the highway, Any Seneca owners have this problem?if so what did you do to fix it ?
Here's what I did and maybe you can do it too. I found out about this VOID behind the driver and passenger seats, yes a fiberglass void with zero insulation, when I heard a buzz from a bug behind the driver's seat. Getting closer to that noise, I banged on the wall, just behind the seat and the buzz stopped. When I stooped down to floor level, I noticed daylight coming in and figured it was coming in from underneath. After several attempts to recreate that daylight at home, and failing, I decided to remove the wall portion behind the seat and that's when I found daylight and the void.
After several days of research, I decided to use spray foam insulation from FoamIt Green, the small job box, #12. I used two boxes as the first one was basically me experimenting how to get it where it needed to go. I sprayed the foam on both sides, driver and passenger, and can tell you that it worked like a charm!! No more hot spots and when winter rolls in, I will see if it will take care of the cabin cold spot I experienced this past winter.

It's a little tricky to get this done but if I can do it, you can too. Just take your time, suit up (goggles, gloves and a mask). The bonus in doing this is it also quieted down the road noise too!!

I hope this gives you some direction....
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:19 PM   #11

seneca

Going down the road this motorhome has enough Draft from the rear a full blast heater is not enough to be comfortable we hang the big quilt to help, just a pain when if you want to move about while traveling. Will get some foam search out the voids and hopefully fill them. I would rather be doing something a lot more fun, but with all the help from the forum it will be a grin. Thank you for all your valuable ideas(had 4 pushers with big windshields we do like super C)
Old 06-30-2019, 09:13 PM   #12

The other heat sink is the step box. The steps are basically a prefabricated metal box with no insulation. I am going to tackle that this summer to try to eliminate some of the heat transfer in this area.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
The other heat sink is the step box. The steps are basically a prefabricated metal box with no insulation. I am going to tackle that this summer to try to eliminate some of the heat transfer in this area.

Yep, that is on my list to do list this winter. Just too hot to be undertaking that task for right now....
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote