Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #1

Converter charger

I have a Seneca 37K. replaced the flooded batteries with AGMs. Will the converter charger that came with the motor home need to be changed out or is it compatible with charging the AGMs as efficiently as the flooded batteries?
dcs500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs500 View Post
I have a Seneca 37K. replaced the flooded batteries with AGMs. Will the converter charger that came with the motor home need to be changed out or is it compatible with charging the AGMs as efficiently as the flooded batteries?
It should be completely compatible, I just installed six - 6 volt Lifeline AGM’s in mine and they work great. Going to Lithium is where you need to change a few components.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
It should be completely compatible, I just installed six - 6 volt Lifeline AGM’s in mine and they work great. Going to Lithium is where you need to change a few components.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #4

Thanks again,
Old 02-25-2021, 02:36 PM   #5

I don't know what converter comes with your RV, however I would look it up and see if it has a separate profile for AGM batteries and if so set it to that. If it doesn't, I wouldn't worry with changing the converter out really, I have used AGM batteries for ~20 years (now going to lifepo4) and simply did a drop in replacement and never had any issues as the charge profiles are very close anyway.

Thought to share regarding AGM batteries, if you notice the guidance for lead acid batteries is not to discharge them past 50% as doing so will diminish their lifetime, however with AGM the guidance is you can go down to 80% discharge. (I would stop sooner though). Anyway, that that means if if you had say 300amp of Lead acid you should not pull more than 150a out prior to recharge, but with AGM you could discharge 240 amps out of the 300ah and still be ok, which is like having more batteries when it comes to calculating how much battery amps you need for your usage. (I still usually stopped at 50% though and I have always had a much longer lifetime with AGM, hope the same for my lifepo4 batteries that I have now). ~CA
Old 02-25-2021, 06:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I don't know what converter comes with your RV, however I would look it up and see if it has a separate profile for AGM batteries
The Senecas come with the Progressive Dynamics PD4590 which just has their standard charge wizard and don’t have any charge settings. Newer units starting about 2019/20 have the PD4590LI which has a switch to change it to Lithium batteries which is nice.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter charger