Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2022, 08:23 PM   #1

Couple of Newbie questions and observations from a veteran camper

Not a first time camper by any means, but still have a few questions about our rig.

We boondocked for the first time over the 4th of July. We still don't have all of our warranty problems on our 2022 37M worked out, but we are able to use it. We have over 8,000 miles on it already as we travel about 1,000 miles each way to our destinations.

Questions:

I did not get the fresh water tank completely full. On the 5th wheels and other trailers I have had in the past, when the tank is full, there is an overflow that spits out right over the gravity feed. Is there a hose or something that dumps below the tank when the fresh water tank is full? The gauge is not accurate enough.

Speaking of gauges, has anyone found better sensors that work with the factory touch screen/app? Plug and play? I realize I can add in sensors and another screen but would rather be able to use the existing system if possible.

Manually filling the fresh water tank - I switched the little screen around and turned the valves to "sanitize" to feed water into the tank as there were no hookups so I had to bring 5 gallon jugs over to fill. The pump seems really slow, any tricks here? Or, has anyone added in a gravity feed?

Anyone having problems with the chargers in the theater seats? When we plug a phone into them, it says they are charging, but they are super slow or do not really charge at all.

Before I pull out the macerator, any real reason I should keep it? I have not found a use for it yet. I have to get the large hose out for the front tank anyway and it seems to dump much quicker.

Observations:

Better than expected gas mileage pulling my Grand Cherokee L. Almost 1 MPG better than pulling the lifted Wrangler over the same route. The weight is similar so it must be the rolling resistance from the tires. Jeeps continue to be fairly easy to set up for flat towing.

Knock on wood, drivetrain continues to work flawlessly and I don't see myself ever going to an A class. I really enjoy having two front doors and an engine sticking out for protection, plus ease to service.

I added two 190 Go Power panels to the 190 watt panel from the factory. With overcast days, I only ran the generator for about a half hour in the morning and an hour in the evening and never had battery concerns with the residential size refrigerator.

I wish the unit came with more plugs that worked off the invertor. I will be adding/swapping out a few.

For those of you with the cab separation and crackling noise, I am not tackling this myself as it has also effected the paint and we are under warranty. So, in the meantime, we found that by placing the removable portion of the bunk in the hole while driving (forming the full bed) the noise is greatly reduced.

We are not using our Washer/Dryer combo as much as I had hoped. I may take it out and place in a drawer style dishwasher. Seems like it would be a fairly easy swap as all of the plumbing is already there.

I have my tools in the second to last bay that has the plastic bottom. It seems like the tools are a bit heavy and I am afraid this bay may pull away. I imagine a piece of plywood might help spread out the weight or possibly adding in some angle iron below. I am not talking about a ton of tools, just a mechanics tool set, misc nuts and bolts and a couple of drills.

It has been said before, the placement of the pipes coming from the hot water heater are ridiculous and need insulation to try to help from freezing in Colorado during winter trips.

Couple of must haves in my opinion:
  • 50 Amp surge protector
  • 50 Amp extension cord
  • Scan D gauge
  • Snap Pads for leveling system
  • Snap ring tire covers
  • Cyclone or similar sewer vents (while you are up there, seal off gap from factory)
  • Vent Cover for circulation during rain
  • Tire pressure system for RV and Toad
  • Plugs/duct tape for wind noise of mirrors
  • Additional portable step to place below retractable steps
  • Mouse proofing bays and possible entry points or at least set up traps. We have caught 5 already and we don't leave any food in the unit during storage.

Nice to haves:
  • Additional Solar Panels
  • Off switch for dash stereo
  • Wood step inserts for bunk ladder (much easier on bare feet)
  • Build 5 center console
  • Speaker upgrades for Cab
  • Surround system for main TV
  • Mattress upgrade
  • 42" led light bar for fog/better visibility
  • Headlight upgrade (have not done this one yet)
  • Mouse proofing bays and possible entry points
  • Wife thought I was crazy, but I found a good deal on a battery operated leaf blower and brought it with us on the last trip. Sure made keeping the outdoor mat clean an easy task. Seems ridiculous, but this is Glamping and it was more fun than sweeping!
  • Zip away screen that attaches to the awning to block sunlight under patio awning. We have had these on the last several rigs and it makes a huge difference.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:02 PM   #2

Regarding your FW tank, there is an over flow under the rig. The new rigs have 1+" hose with a bug sock. As I recall the hose is black. Fill until its pouring out.

As for filling the tank, when boondocking. It uses the onboard pump, so the transfer rate is about 2 gallons a minute. To help this along, if you can place the jug on a small table, to reducethe looses due to the lift distance. Next, flip the cone washer on city water connection. This forces the cone to press on the check valve, so the pump does not have to work as hard to overcome spring force. Do not forget to flip it back, or you'll have a new set of issues.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:59 AM   #3

I would like to mention that the number one improvement we have made in the last two RVs was mattress replacement. My last one was stuffed with horsehair and crumpled newspapers (LOL, maybe). I upgraded to a Zinus because a short queen and hard to find but now have purchased two Zinus for the house. If you can't get a good nights sleep your days are not as much fun.

One small $ item is a 30 to 50 dogbone in case you have to park on a 30 amp site.
Love my Renogy Lithium battery with bluetooth and solar panels with bluetooth MPPT. Both made 4 nights at Great Sand Dunes NP more pleasant. NO worries about a dead battery or how many amps were left!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post

Anyone having problems with the chargers in the theater seats? When we plug a phone into them, it says they are charging, but they are super slow or do not really charge at all.
[/LIST]
We don't use the USB's in the recliners. I feel like we would bump into them while seated and mess them up. No, we're not large folks, lol, just a poor design. In the 37L there's a 120v outlet directly over the recliners. Into that, we plug an outlet extender (for lack of a better description) that also has 4 USB's. We also put these in the outlets by all beds and in the kitchen. They don't fall out as we drive either. See picClick image for larger version

Name:	20220707_222330.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	82591
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:51 PM   #5

"We are not using our Washer/Dryer combo as much as I had hoped. I may take it out and place in a drawer style dishwasher. Seems like it would be a fairly easy swap as all of the plumbing is already there."

Except for the boondocking days, we use ours quite a bit. But we have a 19,14, and 4 year old. Plus two dogs.. Knowing we're going full-time soon we both agreed that we wanted the W/D when we ordered this one. So far, after 3 straight weeks on the road, we've been really happy with the Splendide. Now we'll only need the laundromat when we do the Beddy's linens, as they are complete sheet/comforter sets and thus too big for the combo. But we did get spare bedding so we can go longer.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:31 PM   #6

"Couple of must haves in my opinion:

* 50 Amp surge protector

~ I have the Hughes Power Watchdog, portable version. I like the Bluetooth app. Yes I lock it.~

* 50 Amp extension cord

~Yep, it was not cheap, but I learned this lesson a long time ago~

* Scan D gauge

~Installed on my Fab 5 console. I use it for avg mpg, instant mpg, horsepower, and water temp. No real reason for choosing those, I'll probably fiddle with it some more after I get the Bluefire running~

* Snap Pads for leveling system

~Love them. I ordered them after using the levelers once.

* Snap ring tire covers

~did not know this style of tire cover existed, my last set was a pain to install, but the reviews on these say they are easy. Thank you~

* Cyclone or similar sewer vents (while you are up there, seal off gap from factory)

~Ordered 3 a few months ago and just haven't installed them yet. Haven't needed them so far with this RV (no smells yet) but added them on my last motorhome, they certainly did help.~

* Vent Cover for circulation during rain

~Always one of the first things I add. The 37L only has a vent over the bathroom, I went for the black one to match everything else on the roof~

* Tire pressure system for RV and Toad

~I am using the Tireminder i10. 2500+ flawless miles so far~

* Plugs/duct tape for wind noise of mirrors

~I haven't had any noticeable noise so far, but the VA says I'm deaf, so there's that~

* Additional portable step to place below retractable steps

~We have the folding red one in the pic below, it is used in many ways~

* Mouse proofing bays and possible entry points or at least set up traps. We have caught 5 already and we don't leave any food in the unit during storage."

~At home we have barn cats, haven't seen a bird, rat, or squirrel in years...but here in Maine, twice a few days ago, I ran off a chipmunk that was jumping up my front Axle and into my engine compartment. Searched extensively but found no damage. Sprayed my pepper spray on the axle and sprinkled coffee grounds under the axle and he hasn't returned, but when I get home I'm ordering two of the Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrent pictured. I'll install one under the hood and one near the rear axle. So they'll bethere for my next trip. I like that they also flash a strobe~
Attachment 82594
Old 07-07-2022, 09:58 PM   #7

"Nice to haves;

*Additional Solar Panels

~You're two 190's ahead of me now, I have two on my Amazon List to order when I get home~

* Off switch for dash stereo

~We just use it as the room clock~

* Wood step inserts for bunk ladder (much easier on bare feet)

14 year old have complained yet, but I just tried it abs agree with you~

* Build 5 center console

~Love mine. I upgraded mine with additional 12v and USB as well as Ham, GMRS, and CB radios~

* Speaker upgrades for Cab

~VA says I'm deaf, I think they're right~

* Surround system for main TV

~ We like the sound bar the inside big TV came with, the outside TV speakers aren't great, neither is the stereo/DVD combo out there~

* Mattress upgrade

~Wife put a pillow topper on ours and we both really like it. I had my doubts, but she was right. And that's saying something with the back I have. Very surprised, but I don't recall it being bad the 2 nights I slept in it before she bought the topper~

* 42" led light bar for fog/better visibility

~I've already run the wiring and relays. Just haven't picked out my lights~

* Headlight upgrade (have not done this one yet)

~About $1100, but yes, on my list~

* Mouse proofing bays and possible entry points

~Yeah, hoping I get ahead of this before I full-time. Not a problem with barn cats~

* Wife thought I was crazy, but I found a good deal on a battery operated leaf blower and brought it with us on the last trip. Sure made keeping the outdoor mat clean an easy task. Seems ridiculous, but this is Glamping and it was more fun than sweeping!

~We also use ours for stoking the campfire!~

* Zip away screen that attaches to the awning to block sunlight under patio awning. We have had these on the last several rigs and it makes a huge difference.

~Do they make one for our brand awning?~
Old 07-08-2022, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Regarding your FW tank, there is an over flow under the rig. The new rigs have 1+" hose with a bug sock. As I recall the hose is black. Fill until its pouring out.

As for filling the tank, when boondocking. It uses the onboard pump, so the transfer rate is about 2 gallons a minute. To help this along, if you can place the jug on a small table, to reducethe looses due to the lift distance. Next, flip the cone washer on city water connection. This forces the cone to press on the check valve, so the pump does not have to work as hard to overcome spring force. Do not forget to flip it back, or you'll have a new set of issues.
Thanks for the tip and help here. I figured there was an overflow, will fill until I see something coming out next time! I set the water jug in the bay to help with the lift distance, may shorten the hose and put it on a higher table as you suggest.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyFluffer View Post
We don't use the USB's in the recliners. I feel like we would bump into them while seated and mess them up. No, we're not large folks, lol, just a poor design. In the 37L there's a 120v outlet directly over the recliners. Into that, we plug an outlet extender (for lack of a better description) that also has 4 USB's. We also put these in the outlets by all beds and in the kitchen. They don't fall out as we drive either. See picAttachment 82591
Thanks, I have resorted to using something like that as I am a bigger guy and the factory placement is poor. I was thinking about wiring a plug inside the storage armrest of the theater seats. Would be fairly simple to do. My other thought around the theater seats is that I may add in two more cupholders in front of the armrest pad/door if that makes sense.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:48 AM   #10

Here is the Awning Shade I ordered. I have not received it yet, but will update once I get it on the quality. I had the older model without the zipper for my 5th wheel and it was great! I even added in the side pieces for extended stays in low wind areas. The side pieces would be more difficult to get to on our taller rigs. I am very interested in seeing how the mesh rolls up into the awning. I want to make sure it does not effect how close it sits to the rig or makes it thicker so that the protective black layer does not fully enclose the fabric when closed. Having the zipper attachment would be much easier than feeding the shade into the awning every time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RY436CL...roduct_details
Old 07-08-2022, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Here is the Awning Shade I ordered. I have not received it yet, but will update once I get it on the quality. I had the older model without the zipper for my 5th wheel and it was great! I even added in the side pieces for extended stays in low wind areas. The side pieces would be more difficult to get to on our taller rigs. I am very interested in seeing how the mesh rolls up into the awning. I want to make sure it does not effect how close it sits to the rig or makes it thicker so that the protective black layer does not fully enclose the fabric when closed. Having the zipper attachment would be much easier than feeding the shade into the awning every time.

It's nice that you're willing to try ot out before we buy! bfg
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:06 PM   #12

Quote:

The ShadePro works great and the section that stays attached does not affect the rolling up of the awning at all.
Attached Thumbnails
A5B4B357-F907-4A21-ADD8-8959DC53FD02.jpg  

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
The ShadePro works great and the section that stays attached does not affect the rolling up of the awning at all.
Great to hear! What length did you go with?
Old 07-08-2022, 08:08 PM   #14

I do like that
Old 07-08-2022, 10:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Great to hear! What length did you go with?
I went with the 15’ as the awning on our RB was 15’6”
Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:10 AM   #16

Quote"--Anyone having problems with the chargers in the theater seats? When we plug a phone into them, it says they are charging, but they are super slow or do not really charge at all.--"

Ours are definitely lower power. Use a good quality cord as the cheap ones have fine wire that loose a lot of current. I bent a cord plug sitting down that's now at a 35 degree angle.. Got some off of Amzn with 90 degree ends that work well.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:16 PM   #17

Only thing I would add as a nice to have for filling the freshwater tank, is an in-line water meter. I don't have a pressurized freshwater fill, just the old style "hold the hose in the opening" and run it till it overflows. After filling my tank a few times, till it was overflowing out the bottom of the trailer, checking the gauge inside the trailer and it showing full, then arriving at the campground and finding the tank now reads 3/4 or less, I wanted some way to determine exactly how much water I'm putting in the tank. I got a couple of these. One I use on my freshwater fill, I use a brass shutoff valve and run the water thru my inline water filter before it goes in the tank. The other, as shown here, is for my black tank flush. I know my black tank capacity is 38 gallons. I dump the tank using a clear elbow on the tank outlet. Once I see flow is down to a trickle, I can close the valve, turn on the tank flush, and add between 20-25 gallons to help flush out the tank. I keep these in separate totes on opposite sides of the storage compartment so I cannot get them mixed up. Yes, I know the meter is upside down in use, but it's good enough for me to see how much water has been put into the tank. For the one I use for the freshwater tank, if we're going boondocking, it allows me to ensure I have a full tank before leaving home. If we're going someplace with full hookups, I can add a measured amount of water for toilet use and washing hands while on the road without having to lug the weight of a full tank. Sorry about the sideways pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Black tank flush.jpg  
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:43 AM   #18

These do work well. Mine is green but otherwise identical. Fresh tank sensor reads full at 55 gallons or so, but knowing I have a 72 gallon tank, I continue filling until 68.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Did you get the 10' drop Jason?
Old 07-14-2022, 09:49 AM   #20

Before I pull out the macerator, any real reason I should keep it?

You can dump at home. I would have about a 25' run with about three feet of rise. There is no way to gravity dump after a weekend of boondocking.