Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #41

Read an interesting article on deletion of DEF systems yesterday and how those vehicles can no longer be insured because they are not legal for street use.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlugson View Post
Had the same code right after purchasing my truck. Took it into the dealership and they put the computer on it and could not find anything. They said may have had some old DEF in my tank, asked me what the date code was on the DEF that I had recently added. I didn't know nor was I aware that DEF gets old. They recommended that I start checking future DEF purchases, or start using the DEF pumps at the big truck diesel stations. Never had the problem re-occur.
DEF doesn't like heat.. I try and run mine down to 15% or less then fill up from a pump at a busy station... no issues... if on the road and in the boondocks I carry a spare 5gal, if needed, but add it the next time I fill up...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Has anyone ever thrown a 1761 10 code with a Solid Amber check engine light and yellow def light? The Cummins codes says it is "After treatment 1 Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank Level Abnormal Rate Of Change"

My DEF tank level is 3/4 and the rig has been running fine. Approx 11,000 miles on the coach with 2500 miles during the last 30 days.

Any thoughts?

By the way, the code does not come up in the Freightliner message center but does display in my scan gauge.
On my very first tow with my 18 Ram 2500 w/Cummings and less then one mile out, my truck started throwing codes and went into Limp Mode. Lucky i was half mile from a Ram Dealership and managed to get to the Dealer. Since i was towing i had to park out in the Curbside. Within an Half hour a service tech came out and started checking things, he immediacy pointed to my main trailer harness plugged into the truck. It was loose, barely making contact. He said they see this all the time. The loose trailer harness connection somehow confuses the CAN BUSS computer and it starts throwing codes.. Ever since, i've made sure the connection is locked in secure and have never seen this issue reoccur.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #44

Def issue

Had a Def problem myself service engine light so the dealer replace the def injectors it not using up the fluid enough it was warranty all is good for now
2019 37k .Forgot to ask what code was oop
Bugs me couldn’t make my scanner work to find the code
So I bought Nexus NL 102 HD scanner it came with black plug in jumpers but would not communicate. The plug under th dash is green so I thinking now I got by an special adapter which is pricey I am afraid it won’t work either any thoughts….
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:22 AM   #45

Check engine lite

Quote:
Has anyone ever thrown a 1761 10 code with a Solid Amber check engine light and yellow def light? The Cummins codes says it is "After treatment 1 Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank Level Abnormal Rate Of Change"

My DEF tank level is 3/4 and the rig has been running fine. Approx 11,000 miles on the coach with 2500 miles during the last 30 days.

Any thoughts?

By the way, the code does not come up in the Freightliner message center but does display in my scan gauge.
Did you change brand of Def you use .I was on a trip out west and bought def from a truck stop and later the engine light came o called a dodge shop he checked the system and it showed the def heater was bad ,he turned it off two days the light back on had it checked when I got home said def heater bad the light went out and has not come back on I think because I went back to Blue def
Jerry Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:45 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Elliott View Post
Did you change brand of Def you use .I was on a trip out west and bought def from a truck stop and later the engine light came o called a dodge shop he checked the system and it showed the def heater was bad ,he turned it off two days the light back on had it checked when I got home said def heater bad the light went out and has not come back on I think because I went back to Blue def
I use bulk def from high volume truck stops as recommended by my Freightliner dealer.

Also the service center tested the Def in my tank and it tested good.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #47

Well we made it 270 miles without incident today. We’ll see what happens tomorrow
Old 07-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #48

Quote:
Well we made it 270 miles without incident today. We’ll see what happens tomorrow

I hope this is the end of your problems. My DEF header was replaced last January after experiencing all of the dash lights and codes you mentioned. About a thousand miles later we pulled into Williams, AZ and the amber MIL came on with a 3363 code. I called Freightliner and they weren't really any help. They told me to check the DEF heater lines because they were installed incorrectly on some chassis . I used the schematic that Rustynuts posted and my son and I were able to confirm our lines were routed correctly. I was kinda bummed, because if they were wrong at least I could see why the MIL came on and easily correct the issue.

We decided to drive it home and about 200 miles later the MIL cleared, but I'm not really confident this MH is going to get my family to our destination and back without leaving us stranded.

Would you happen to know where the fuse was located that needed to be tightened up in your MH?

Thanks
phuggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:12 PM   #49

Broke again

Broke again. Stopped for fuel in Oakwood IL and also filled the Def tank. Def gauge never changed level. Pulled forward so the truck behind could fuel and the low Def and Check engine lights came on. Found a spot to park and called Freightliner. Talked to Alex at Freightliner and he was surprised there was a CEL without an active fault code.

Alex directed us to Truck Country in Indianapolis and right as we checked in it went into 5MPH derate mode. This place can not look at it until Monday so we are once again in a hotel.

Alex called the shop and told them about our issues and where we were so they were expecting us when we got there.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:17 AM   #50

Rig went in the shop an hour ago. I called Freightliner and and asked that when they get all lights and codes clear and they think they have the problem fixed they suck 1/4 tank of def and see if it gets a CEL and Low def light at 1/2 or 3/4 tank. If so they need to fix the problem.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #51

DEF Header replaced

The third time is a charm. This time the repair shop decided to replace the DEF Header.

We'll see what happens when we head out again.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Old 08-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #52

I commend you on you patients

I have not even picked up my 2022 yet and you guys are terrifying me with the stories of this DEF issue. I commend you on your patients by now I think I would be very upset. It sure seems that you members here have a great understanding of the issue and with your guidance it would seem that they could remedy this issue in one visit.
Grumpy413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:08 PM   #53

Repair invoice

For those that might be interested, yesterday’s repair invoice.

Scan Aug 3, 2021, 2.35 PM 2.pdf
Old 08-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #54

Quote:
For those that might be interested, yesterday’s repair invoice.

Attachment 74311
I sure hope it’s all fixed now and you have safe travels from here on out.
Grumpy413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #55

290 miles today without incident
Old 08-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #56

210 miles after new DEF Header !

After spending two days outside Fargo pulling the tank and replacing the DEF header, the dreaded lights came back on as we were only a day away from Glacier National Park in upstate Montana. There were no Cummins or Freightliner dealers in that area so we headed south to Great Falls. Amazingly, we made it another 2.5 hours to Rocky Mountain Truck Service, an exceptional Cummins dealer. First day was testing the system and every component. He coulldnt find anything wrong. He even tapped into the exhaust and measured the amount of fluid that was being injected. I saw the beaker and it was pefect. After peforming all 28 of Cummins prescriptions, nothing was failing and the system was running fine. He felt that the one component, other than the DEF header that causes issues is the injector. Even though it was performing to spec, he was able to order a new one and have the entire 2 day episode covered under warranty. I agree with Rusty that the heat seems to mess with this touchy emission system. We ended up driving to Glacier for a day of horseback riding, while the coach was in the shop. We head back to Indiana on Sunday and we're praying for heavenly grace on our coach, because Lord knows we need it.
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #57

Looks like the DEF Header was the issue. Second 290 mile day without incident.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #58

Quote:

Any thoughts?

With what kind or model of device are you reading the codes that gives that detail of information? Cummins says they have a $300 device called an "In-line Mini", but they didn't elaborate on what amount of info it would give you. I've had so much trouble lately with this DEF nonsense that I need to get something that gives detailed information. If you coud share this info with me, I'd be most appreciative.

Damian Neeld
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneeld52 View Post
With what kind or model of device are you reading the codes that gives that detail of information? Cummins says they have a $300 device called an "In-line Mini", but they didn't elaborate on what amount of info it would give you. I've had so much trouble lately with this DEF nonsense that I need to get something that gives detailed information. If you coud share this info with me, I'd be most appreciative.

Damian Neeld

I'm not sure what EA37TS is using but the Bluefire monitor system will give you detailed info on the codes and the ability to clear some of them. It also allows you to monitor anything the engine ECU outputs including DEF temp and quality.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eca-75955.html

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:38 PM   #60

Quote:
Looks like the DEF Header was the issue. Second 290 mile day without incident.

So how are things going now? Hopefully you arent having any more issues. Several more DEF Header reports have popped up on the Seneca Facebook page.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote