Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #1

Cummins 1761 10 code

Has anyone ever thrown a 1761 10 code with a Solid Amber check engine light and yellow def light? The Cummins codes says it is "After treatment 1 Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank Level Abnormal Rate Of Change"

My DEF tank level is 3/4 and the rig has been running fine. Approx 11,000 miles on the coach with 2500 miles during the last 30 days.

Any thoughts?

By the way, the code does not come up in the Freightliner message center but does display in my scan gauge.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:14 AM   #2

I would call or email FCCC directly and discuss it with them. The DEF Header has all the sensors on it and excessive heat can damage the sensors. Have you ever checked to see if your DEF coolant lines are backwards? Personally, any code that had any connection to the DEF header, I would contact FCCC immediately. DEF issues kind of went away with the colder weather but they are popping up now with the excessive heat, which is when my DEF Header went bad because of the coolant lines backwards.

Personally, I wouldnt trust a shop checking the lines, mine were wrong, the shop said they were fine. I traced them again after the new DEF Header install and they were STILL wrong. The shop finally admitted that they only traced then from the outside of the frame rail to the DEF tank but not from the inside of the frame rail, where they are usually connected wrong, up to the engine.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I would call or email FCCC directly and discuss it with them. The DEF Header has all the sensors on it and excessive heat can damage the sensors. Have you ever checked to see if your DEF coolant lines are backwards? Personally, any code that had any connection to the DEF header, I would contact FCCC immediately.

Personally, I wouldnt trust a shop checking the lines, mine were wrong, the shop said they were fine. I traced them again after the new DEF Header install and they were STILL wrong. The shop finally admitted that they only traced then from the outside of the frame rail to the DEF tank but not from the inside of the frame rail, where they are usually connected wrong, up to the engine.
My rig went in at 3000 miles and they found a loose DEF connection and the lines were not backwards.

I'll give FCCC a call.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
the lines were not backwards.

I'll give FCCC a call.

They also said mine weren't backwards either

Old 07-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #5

Im pretty sure those were some of the codes that were thrown when my DEF header failed last winter. I made it about 50 miles before the engine began to de-rate.

I asked the repair techs to make sure the DEF lines weren't crossed when they replaced the header. they told me the lines were fine, but I have little confidence they checked them. I planned to check the lines myself after Rustynuts posted the schematics, but holy hell there's no way to trace the lines visually.
phuggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuggit View Post
Im pretty sure those were some of the codes that were thrown when my DEF header failed last winter. I made it about 50 miles before the engine began to de-rate.

I asked the repair techs to make sure the DEF lines weren't crossed when they replaced the header. they told me the lines were fine, but I have little confidence they checked them. I planned to check the lines myself after Rustynuts posted the schematics, but holy hell there's no way to trace the lines visually.
It wasn’t easy but only took about an hour but what I did was work my way from the front, marking the supply line from the top of the motor ever 6” with a paint pen. While I was going along, I also unbolted any band securing the lines and corrected the position to match the drawings. It get tight where they cross over from right to left, but it is doable.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:00 PM   #7

2gallons of DEF and the code cleared. Now the question is will the code appear again when I drop to 3/4 full on DEF?
Old 07-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
2gallons of DEF and the code cleared. Now the question is will the code appear again when I drop to 3/4 full on DEF?

The Cummins ECU constantly scans for issues and if one comes up it will trip a light. Many codes will clear after 3 key cycles with driving time in between, cant remember the distance, if the ECU does not detect the same issue in these 3 key cycles it will clear the light. This is what happened initially on our Seneca but ours was the "3363" code which eventually lead to the DEF Header being replaced. Possible you just had a hiccup that triggered the code but personally, with the DEF Header track record, I would still call of email FCCC about the issue, they may want to look into it.

CUSTOMER SUPPORT CENTER
1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)
fcccservice@daimler.com

Old 07-20-2021, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
The Cummins ECU constantly scans for issues and if one comes up it will trip a light. Many codes will clear after 3 key cycles with driving time in between, cant remember the distance, if the ECU does not detect the same issue in these 3 key cycles it will clear the light. This is what happened initially on our Seneca but ours was the "3363" code which eventually lead to the DEF Header being replaced. Possible you just had a hiccup that triggered the code but personally, with the DEF Header track record, I would still call of email FCCC about the issue, they may want to look into it.

CUSTOMER SUPPORT CENTER
1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)
fcccservice@daimler.com
Thanks for the info. We are on our return leg from Wyoming and I will be on the lookout for the 3363 code. I will also contact Freightliner during a stop and have a talk with them.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #10

I fixed my def system....permanently
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #11

Well Rusty nailed it.

Everything was fine until I stopped at Loves to fill up. After filling up I went through a Blue Beacon. After exiting Blue Beacon all hell broke loose. All of a sudden I get a low def light, check engine light and Malfunction Indicator Light all solid amber. Message center said there was one fault and then said shutdown in progress. I pulled into a truck parking spot and called Freightliner.

The Freightliner rep, Derek was clueless and directed me to I State truck in Sioux Falls, SD. Thankfully we made it there without shutdown and we are number 6 in line for service.

Scan Guage codes this time are:

2573 01
3521 15
3364 10
3363 0
F385 00

We are now dry camping amongst the broke and wrecked Freightliners waiting our turn for the shop.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:39 PM   #12

Boy, that escalated quickly! Glad you were able to make it to a shop before derate or shutdown. The person that I dealt with, and probably is most familiar with this issue is Rick Houser at FCCC, he can help coordinate the correct repairs and make sure they properly check the coolant lines. Hopefully they get you going again quickly.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #13

In the shop being diagnosed now. We’ll see what they say
Old 07-22-2021, 08:39 PM   #14

These folks say it’s a short in the DEF heater system but they can’t find the short.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #15

Day 2 of troubleshooting. I requested assistance from FCCC so we’ll see if they contact the dealer. So far not a peep from them.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:30 AM   #16

Supposedly they found a Freightliner splice in the DEF heater system (line 2) Thai is loose. They hope to have it repaired and us back on the road in 2 hours.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Supposedly they found a Freightliner splice in the DEF heater system (line 2) Thai is loose. They hope to have it repaired and us back on the road in 2 hours.

Interesting, did they ever hear from FCCC?

Old 07-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #18

Newbie Question here

Ok so I’m looking at buy/ picking up this week a 2022 Jayco Seneca 37k. I generally travel 7 to 10 K miles a year. What is the approximate mileage I should expect to have this DEF issue everyone is talking about.
Grumpy413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Interesting, did they ever hear from FCCC?
Not that I am aware of. I’ll ask when they’re done
Old 07-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #20

Back on the road. Number 2 DEF heater line splice was disconnected causing a short. Reconnected and all codes and lights cleared. Drove 100 miles to tonight’s stop and all went well.

FCCC did not contact anyone. So much for their support. As worthless now as they were with my initial problem at 3000 miles.