Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #1

Cummins DEF Header Stop Gap Fix

https://www.rvtravel.com/cummins-def...tch-rvt-1019b/
2017 Seneca 36FK
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #2

Nice to see them step up and have something available!

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #3

Not sure if the S2RV Def Heads are considered short supply. The dealer that fixed my rig had one in stock.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Not sure if the S2RV Def Heads are considered short supply. The dealer that fixed my rig had one in stock.
I have seen several reports of Seneca owners being down a week or two for parts. Some larger dealers may have them in stock but those that don’t, can’t get them fast if at all. I have read a lot of Spartan chassis with Cummins in them have no supply of headers available.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I have seen several reports of Seneca owners being down a week or two for parts. Some larger dealers may have them in stock but those that don’t, can’t get them fast if at all. I have read a lot of Spartan chassis with Cummins in them have no supply of headers available.
One thing that is key, the DEF Head manufacturer has to be unable to provide the parts. Dealer stock status has no bearing on the issue.

Not sure if Spartan gets parts from the same manufacturer as Freightliner.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #6

Have to say this is frustrating as I've got the bad def header, the part is back ordered for 2-3 months, but my 2017 Senaca engine serial number is not showing up. At a Cummins service center and serial number doesn't show up so they can't do anything, so I called Cummins 1800 to try to get somewhere and they say the DEF header is OEM so call truck manufacture. Call Freightliner and they say it's a Cummins issues call Cummins and yes part is backordered for 2-3 months.
FYIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYIB View Post
Have to say this is frustrating as I've got the bad def header, the part is back ordered for 2-3 months, but my 2017 Senaca engine serial number is not showing up. At a Cummins service center and serial number doesn't show up so they can't do anything, so I called Cummins 1800 to try to get somewhere and they say the DEF header is OEM so call truck manufacture. Call Freightliner and they say it's a Cummins issues call Cummins and yes part is backordered for 2-3 months.

Have you tried contacting the Manufacturer of the chassis which is Freightliner Custom Chassis? They are the ones to contact for anything about your Seneca Chassis. Here is their contact info, I have always gotten immediate help and answers through them.

CUSTOMER SUPPORT CENTER
1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)
fcccservice@daimler.com

Old 09-27-2021, 12:31 PM   #8

When my DEF Header was replaced it was done by a Freightliner dealer that had the parts in stock. Since the DEF system is part of the chassis and not the engine it is possible Freightliner has the on hand stock and not Cummins.

BTW, how does Cummins know which engine serial numbers are in Chassis’s with bad DEF Systems? How can they know that before the DEF System goes bad?
Old 09-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
One thing that is key, the DEF Head manufacturer has to be unable to provide the parts. Dealer stock status has no bearing on the issue.

Not sure if Spartan gets parts from the same manufacturer as Freightliner.
I've called Freightliner local and Freightliner national and both said national backorder.

Here is the part number for the Freightliner M2 chassis. I can't find online anywhere that has it in stock.

04-31354-003

Thanks
Old 09-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
I've called Freightliner local and Freightliner national and both said national backorder.

Here is the part number for the Freightliner M2 chassis. I can't find online anywhere that has it in stock.

04-31354-003

Thanks
I guess I got lucky in Indianapolis because the dealer had it in stock, or the parts are different between the M2 and the S2RV.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:08 PM   #11

The DEF Header part number that comes up based on my VIN number on my S2 chassis through DTNA Connect is 04-31923-000. Hans Freightliner of Cleveland shows them being in stock. I believe the M2 chassis has a smaller DEF tank than the S2 which is 10 gallon.

Most Freightliner shops wont buy parts Freightliner parts out of their normal supply chain even though they might be available from another source. I know one person that said his dealer could not get one so he bought one online and then took it to the dealer to install to get his rig back.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  

Old 09-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:
I guess I got lucky in Indianapolis because the dealer had it in stock, or the parts are different between the M2 and the S2RV.
Yes the M2's have the 6 GAL def tanks and the S2RV have the 10 GAL (part number 04-35162-000)

Which, yes I see those are in stock.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
The DEF Header part number that comes up based on my VIN number on my S2 chassis through DTNA Connect is 04-31923-000. Hans Freightliner of Cleveland shows them being in stock. I believe the M2 chassis has a smaller DEF tank than the S2 which is 10 gallon.

Most Freightliner shops wont buy parts Freightliner parts out of their normal supply chain even though they might be available from another source. I know one person that said his dealer could not get one so he bought one online and then took it to the dealer to install to get his rig back.
Looks like this is the 10GAL and I need the 6GAL
Old 09-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #14

My DEF Head went out on the way back from Alaska in 2019. We were in Missoula MT. The FL dealer let us plug in and sleep in the parking lot while we waited 4 days for a new head. Took them about 20 minutes to install once they had it.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #15

Finally spoke to someone at Transwest in Denver (largest Freightliner Dealer/Service in Colorado) and they were beyond helpful and knowledgable. Was told yes they have trucks stacking up in their lot for over two months waiting for the part with 2-3 month from now ETA on part, but said he wouldn't hold my breath on it. He said the Software Fix was released last week for Emergency vehicles only. Was told that the Software Fix for the general public was to happen this week, but was in the EPA/Cummins court to agree and release.
Old 10-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #16

Why is this def blunder not resulting in a total recall. Is a long term fix available or is replacing the def head going to become an ongoing maintenance item? I'm getting frustrated just reading about this issue and I'm not even effected. My unit is pre def. I wont buy anything with def until they come up with a permanent fix.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #17

Quote:
I found a replacement header on e-bay for $1275.00. Part number is different from 04-31923-000. It is 04-35162 but seller says it will replace the original part. You may be able to find a better deal by doing more searches.
dcs500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #18

I’m building a DEF Simulator that was developed to not leave you stranded.

https://defsim.myervin.com/category/overview

Old 10-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #19

What does that mean, "it wont leave you stranded?" Does this simulator prevent your MoHome from going into derate? Can you explain the function. I read the article from your link but it's not specific about whether the derate will be delayed and for how many miles. Thanks
dcs500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs500 View Post
What does that mean, "it wont leave you stranded?" Does this simulator prevent your MoHome from going into derate? Can you explain the function. I read the article from your link but it's not specific about whether the derate will be delayed and for how many miles. Thanks
It basically does the same thing as the Cummins software patch. The unit tells the ECU everything is fine and still injects the def like normal so you can drive like normal to a shop. This is the best page to read what it is all about.

https://defsim.myervin.com/def-sensor-simulator