Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2021, 02:07 PM   #1

Damaged Mud flaps/floor pan

We have a 2006 34ss and recently had a mouse issue in the heating system. When I went to pull apart the tin pans above the rear duals to repair the duct work, I found a new problem.

There are mud flaps forward and backward of wheels. The flaps behind the wheels are in perfect shape and I'm planning to reinstall them as is. The front flaps have apparently overtime from wind pressure cracked the tin pan they where mounted too and gotten into the wheels. Seems like jayco wasn't thinking about longevity when they screwed flaps exposed to the wind to flexible tin. As a result, the flaps have gotten into the wheels, I'm planning to replace the flaps, and repair the pans are cracked.

My question is on the cracked pans. I'm planning to rivet new tin in place to re-enforce the tin by sandwiching new material front and back. This will help a bit, but has anyone done additional work of adding some angle iron or other re-enforcement to prevent this from happening again? Or is this more of a one off failure and I'm the unlucky guy here? There isn't a lot of structure to build on behind the tin pan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flaps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	69167

Name:	Pan Crack 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	69168

Name:	Pan Crack 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	69169

Name:	Pan Out.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	69170
1averageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1averageguy View Post
This will help a bit, but has anyone done additional work of adding some angle iron or other re-enforcement to prevent this from happening again? Or is this more of a one off failure and I'm the unlucky guy here? There isn't a lot of structure to build on behind the tin pan.
The rubbing flaps were common, but I'm surprised you just found them or did you buy it used? All I did when we had our 08, was cut the front flaps shorter which eliminated the problem. Can't address the metal panning.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #3

My plan for replacement on the flaps was to take them down to a local materials shop here and just have them cut from similar materials. Did you have any issues from shortening them? It's certainly an option with the damaged ones I still have.
1averageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1averageguy View Post
. Did you have any issues from shortening them? It's certainly an option with the damaged ones I still have.
No, since the water coming off the tires does so near the top.