Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2021, 11:44 AM   #1

Dealer Confiscated Motorhome

I am buying a 2019 Seneca 37K and the guy I buying it from took it to the dealer to have the hot water tank cover braced better and have the recall done.

He called to check on it and they told him they are still waiting on the part to come in to fix it. He told them he want to come in and pick it up and they told him the Jayco told them not to release it back to him until after it was fixed because it is a safety issue.

Anyone ever here of this happening?
jmalaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #2

No. At my work we have the customer sign a release stating they are aware of the recall and decline the repair. Legally I am not sure they can keep it until it is done. It is not their property.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #3

In New York there is a criminal charge for this called Misapplication of Property. There is no way in hell I would allow a dealer to confiscate my property...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #4

If it were mine I would sign that release and bring it back on a specified date.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:55 PM   #5

If they have already done some of the work, they may have a mechanic's lien on it. Nevertheless, one could just pay for the work already performed and take it. I wouldn't be happy.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:05 AM   #6

Depending on the safety issue, in Michigan, they can. Buddy of mine had a truck that had a seat belt recall. He took it to the dealer and they kept it for 2 weeks due to lack of parts.

Had another buddy that took his car in to a big chain tire shop to have a slow leak repaired. Because the tires were over 10 years old not only would they not repair the leak they would not let the car leave because the tires were over the 10yr mark. Only way they would let it go is selling and installing new tires. He called a flat bed wrecker and had it "towed home". It made it to the bank parking lot next door, off loaded it right in their sight and drove away. Last time he went there.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #7

Just a couple of words:

Litigist society.......

You decide if you're a business.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:26 AM   #8

The dealer is owed nothing, I can tell you once he gets it back it will never go back to that dealer. He also had them look at the electric wire reel because it was not working, you could hear the motor but it would not wind in the cord (Trouble shooting guide said chain off).

They told him the motor was burned up and would need replaced. Quoted him $1,000 for the new reel and $800 labor. I think it just needs the chain put back on.

The Owner told me there was nothing he could do, I will wait a week and see what happens...
Old 04-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
Just a couple of words:

Litigist society.......

You decide if you're a business.

PaulB12
I have first hand knowledge.
Had a chimney cleaning business. If I just inspected and left I was told I could be held liable because I was the "expert". Liability insurance premium was more than I was making as a side extra income business. I got out quick before anything happened.
Just my real life experience.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Had a chimney cleaning business. If I just inspected and left I was told I could be held liable because I was the "expert". Liability insurance premium was more than I was making as a side extra income business. I got out quick before anything happened.
PaulB12
And by confiscating the RV they just became fully liable for anything that happens to the RV while it is sitting outside on their lot. i.e. damage from frozen plumbing (they told him they drained the water out but how good of a job did they do?). You and I both know just draining the water tank does not keep the plumbing from getting damaged, ask me how I know...

As stated all they had to do is have him sign a waver and take it home until the parts came in.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalaby View Post
As stated all they had to do is have him sign a waver and take it home until the parts came in.
That may vary by state.

Do liability waivers work in all cases?
Liability waivers are not 100% guaranteed to work in all cases.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
PaulB12
Different situation entirely. You were not holding anyone's property and refusing to release it to them.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Different situation entirely. You were not holding anyone's property and refusing to release it to them.
Definitely different.

In the OP's case the dealer would be releasing a Motor Vehicle onto the highway which could cause harm to more than the owner if there was a failure. It would be putting others in danger as well. So actually a more serious situation.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:24 PM   #14

Quote:
The dealer is owed nothing, I can tell you once he gets it back it will never go back to that dealer. He also had them look at the electric wire reel because it was not working, you could hear the motor but it would not wind in the cord (Trouble shooting guide said chain off).

They told him the motor was burned up and would need replaced. Quoted him $1,000 for the new reel and $800 labor. I think it just needs the chain put back on.

The Owner told me there was nothing he could do, I will wait a week and see what happens...
My power cord reel did not work when I brought the coach home from the dealer. Same symptoms you mention able to hear the motor but the reel would not function. It wasn't a chain issue the cord reel was defective and had to be replaced. Mine was replaced at the Jayco Factory Service Center under warranty.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #15

Not trusting any dealer, I would at least go and inspect it. Maybe their hiding a repair they caused!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #16

Where?

Wouldn't happen to be Chesaco RV in Gambrills, MD? I have posted my horror story dealing with that dealer in the Jayco Class C forum. Kept my RV for seven months, didn't do jack to it. Threatened to impound it and sell it. Did not provide paperwork for services done/not done. The most abhorrent dealer I have ever dealt with in my life.
Jim_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #17

It would be a COLD DAY IN H——— before any type Dealer kept my Motorhome for ANY REASON if I wanted it back. Me and the local SHERIFFS DEPT. would be be telling him to give me my Motorhome back. If he still refused I would report it STOLEN, then I bet Dealer would release it to me. You never want to tick off a Southern Red Neck because that is when things get Ugly Fast. If you know you are rite never give up, if that doesn’t work BOW UP .
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:54 PM   #18

Getting it Friday, he push them and they are getting the part overnighted and putting it on tomorrow. Still will not go back there after we pick it up.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #19
CAG

Quote:
Getting it Friday, he push them and they are getting the part overnighted and putting it on tomorrow. Still will not go back there after we pick it up.
How are they getting a part that all other dealer cannot get because it does not exist? The rest of the dealers in this country are being told that they have not perfected a part yet and have told dealers not to fabricate something on their own. These people speak with forked tongues.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:54 AM   #20

I am reading all these remarks and going wow. Never heard of someone keeping a car just because the tires are ten years old. I know mine were and they said something but gave me my car back. I really think there is something rotten in denmark with this whole scenario. Talk to an attorney I guess and see what can be done. What a wild story to hear. Glad I take mine to camping world. They tell me the problem, fix it and done. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote