Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2021, 11:54 PM   #61

Here is the correct link to the plug that matches the S2 chassis.

https://defsim.myervin.com/dss-conne...er-chassis-xcm

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Here is the correct link to the plug that matches the S2 chassis.

You are awesome. Thank you sir
phuggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #63

Just curious what year is your rig and how many miles on it ?
01 mixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 mixson View Post
Just curious what year is your rig and how many miles on it ?
Mine is a 2018.5. Had minor codes that cleared at about 10k, then codes at 17k and it went in and coolant lines were reversed and they replaced the DEF Header. I am now at 23k driven in extreme temps and the system has been fine. I installed the valve in case I see DEF temps rising on my Bluefire monitor for no reason which could mean a DEF Heater coolant valve failure which has the same effect as reversed line, in this case I can just shut the coolant flow off. I built the DEF simulator for insurance in case of a def header failure I won’t have to deal with a derate or be stranded someplace waiting for help.

Old 10-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #65

Built, tested, and tucked away hoping I never need to use it
Attached Thumbnails
F1AD3A8E-FAAD-4EEC-88C8-3EC4DD071EC7.jpg   D1CA6E9D-A189-410B-8FDB-662197DF8021.jpg  

Old 10-08-2021, 06:38 AM   #66

I seen where you posted this on facebook first,,
Old 10-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #67

Quote:
Just curious, did you test it via USB or did you plug it into your rig and let it run for a little?
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:09 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
I seen where you posted this on facebook first,,

Only by about 15 minutes I work alphabetically.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpietsch View Post
Just curious, did you test it via USB or did you plug it into your rig and let it run for a little?

Once the board is programmed and assembled you test that everything is working by plugging it into a computer and make sure it powers up and the LEDs are flashing. When I asked the developers how you test it, this is their reply.

"First go over your wiring, preferably with an ohmmeter, checking for any shorts between any of the 4 wires. Double check your connector wiring and verify that it’s all correct. Make sure your vehicle ignition is off and then unplug your good OEM sensor and plug the DSS in its place. Turn on the ignition but don’t start the engine. Note that the DEF gauge reads 75% regardless of what the actual level really is. Wait a full 5 minutes while watching the instrument panel for any lights or fault codes. If there are none, start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes and watch for any faults or lights. Assuming no errors in the wiring it should be an utterly boring 10 minutes. If everything goes OK then shut the ignition off and re-connect the OEM sensor, put your DSS away someplace where you can find it and hope you never have to plug it in again.

If something goes awry and you do get any faults (and if there is a wiring problem the faults will not even necessarily be DEF sensor faults. They could be anything on the network like NOx sensors or turbo actuators) don’t panic. Just shut it down, reconnect the OEM sensor and deliberately (take your time-don’t be in a hurry) start the engine, let it fast-idle for a little over 5 minutes and shut it down. Repeat this sequence for 3 times total and on the 4th key-on all codes should be reset. You can also use a scanner device but it may not clear the 3031 code and you’ll still have to do the engine run cycles anyway so you might as well just do it instead of messing with a code reader or scanner.

Obviously then go back to the bench and figure out what isn’t right and correct it, then test again. We have never seen one not work unless there was a wiring mistake."

Old 10-09-2021, 07:26 AM   #70

are all these plugs the same on the newer models
Old 10-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
are all these plugs the same on the newer models

The plug on our Freightliners are different than the original build shows, using the DT-4 connector. Freightliner uses the TE plug and you have to make up the plug, there is not a pigtail that anybody has found. The DEF Sim page now has info on the Freightliner plug with part numbers. I found all the part numbers available from Mouser Electronics.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:12 PM   #72

What have you engineered now?

I picked the wrong couple of weeks to go fishing in Alaska! Cummin's corporate attorney finally wrote back and said that the company response would be to only add the bypass software IF you were at a freightliner or Cummins site and your needed part was "out of stock"! Some solution!

I can only guess that this DSS that you appear to have engineered is a DEF software bypass? Wow. Name your price and put me on the list, I'll buy one.

Also, you noted that you added a shut off ball valve on the DEF line coming off the engine. When would it be advisable to shut off the flow?

Sorry to be so simple, but I would like to use my RV and presently I don't have the confidence to head out on the road, considering my 3 DEF breakdowns.

Thanks in advance,

Damian Neeld
2018 Seneca HJ
Carmel, IN
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #73

Does your FCAR F507 allow you to clear the DEF codes, or just identify them? Are the codes expressed in numerical form or words? If the codes are numerical, do they coincide with Cummins' codes?

thanks,
Damian Neeld
Old 10-13-2021, 09:40 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneeld52 View Post
I can only guess that this DSS that you appear to have engineered is a DEF software bypass? Wow. Name your price and put me on the list, I'll buy one.

Also, you noted that you added a shut off ball valve on the DEF line coming off the engine. When would it be advisable to shut off the flow?

Sorry to be so simple, but I would like to use my RV and presently I don't have the confidence to head out on the road, considering my 3 DEF breakdowns.
First off, I didn’t come up with the DSS build and software, it was a great group of guys over on the IRV2 forum, this was developed for the Spartan chassis with the terrible Shaw DEF header but was found to also work on the one Freightliner uses. What is does is just simulate a DEF header by telling the ECU that everything is fine, basically the same way the Cummins patch does. The DEF system still operates as normal AND YOU STILL HAVE TO KEEP THE DEF tank full and keep track as the software will show the tank at 75% full all the time with the DSS or Cummins patch.

The second component that can fail is the DEF Heater control valve which has the same effect as the reversed cooling line by over heating the DEF tank. I monitor the DEF temp on my Bluefire monitor and have a warming set at 120 degrees, if this warning goes off, it could be a sign the valve has failed and I can manually shut the flow off before it starts cooking the DEF Header……damage starts occurring at 140 degrees or higher.

You may have the reversed coolant line issue if you have had problems 3 times. Have you ever contacted FCCC when you have issues or just went to a Freightliner shop? FCCC has the info to make sure to check for reversed lines and some shops are not replacing the Header and FCCC is making them swap it out.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #75

Yes, after initially buying this unit and bringing it back from Florida, I read your forum post about the reversed coolant hoses. I called FCCC and went to the freightliner dealer to have them check and they said my was correct, and they went ahead and changed out the pump bracket on the factory recall. I physically helped a John Deere ag technician drop the def tank and replace the header, boy that was a bear for an old guy like me. Since then we've replaced the dosing valve and the def pump itself. My wife is so gun shy and tired of being stranded, that she won't plan any trips until we get this nonsense fixed. Seriously, would you consider building another DEF sensor simulator? I have MS and my finger dexterity isn't what it used to be. Or is someone else is building them, send me a link. I need to get one if possible. As always, thanks in advance for your help and consideration. I told Jayco they should call you!
Old 10-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #76

Quote:
Had (still have) a bad DEF header, been waiting over 2 months on the part (told Q1 of next year, yes I understand I can find one on eBay but it's all still under warranty), and been waiting over a month on my ESN to be put on the Cummins TRP list.

All that said I installed my DSS last weekend and all my codes are are gone and no more derate!
FYIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:07 PM   #77

Status of my 3800+ miles

Hello all in Jayco Land.
After reading all the issues not only on the Seneca but other RV’s and Commercial vehicles regarding the dreaded DEF issues. I thought I would post about my 2021 travels in our 2017 37ts Seneca.

First I like to say anyone that has had or still having DEF issues my thoughts and prayers go out to you. I would REALLY, REALLY, hate to be stranded for a long time and ruining my RV travel plans as some folks have had.

My wife and I took 2 vacations this season, well, now that we’re retired everyday is a vacation right.
We live in Northern Colorado so our first trip was to Branson, MO as we do every year. This time we went early because of our plans later in the season. We went in June / July and temps were pretty hot. We always stop off in Salina, KS before heading to Branson and the high there was 101. Driving from Salina to Branson the temperature was in the high 80’s to upper 90’s. The reason I’m mentioning the temperatures is from my reading I saw many had DEF issues with high temperatures. At this time I was fully unaware of the DEF issues.

After coming back from 3 weeks at Branson reading my Favorite RV News letter (RVTravel) I’m seeing all the DEF issues. I then did a search on the Jayco Forum site and saw what other Rvers were facing. BTW, no DEF issue to and from Branson, MO.

At this point I did more research and I was getting a little worried about our BIG trip back home to Upstate New York. Our Seneca had 13K+ miles on it and I notice most of the issues were occurring at around 5-9k(+/-) miles. I told my wife but we were not going to let this stop us what so ever. Well after our round trip of 3800 total miles from Colorado to Watkins Glen-to-Swan Bay (Alexandria Bay area) on the St Lawerence Seaway-to-KOA Canandaiqua-Back to Colorado I had no DEF issues. I would get DEF once I was ½ empty.

I just wanted to post my status for other people out there who are also concerned about the DEF issues.

Thanks
John Boy

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #78

Plug for S2RV

Quote:
The plug on our Freightliners are different than the original build shows, using the DT-4 connector. Freightliner uses the TE plug and you have to make up the plug, there is not a pigtail that anybody has found. The DEF Sim page now has info on the Freightliner plug with part numbers. I found all the part numbers available from Mouser Electronics.

Just to be clear the wires in the DB9 need to match the pin numbers in the picture of the TE plug for the Freightliner S2RV .
jack4540 is offline   Reply With Quote