Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2022, 05:16 PM   #21
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartpix View Post
I do have to admit, DTV customer service sucks, but how often do you have to call them?

I have had both, in-fact still have both. DISH in the RV, and Direct at home. I have had Dish for nearly 30 years, and Direct for the last 15. I don't think Direct sucks, in-fact I originally left DISH, and came back only for the RV because DISH sucked.

Since I only have one receiver in the RV and a Tailgator I have to deal with DISH very seldom, which is fine with me.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #22
CAG

As I said earlier, this is a "where you sit, is where you stand" issue much like which truck, which tires or which oil.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #23

Definitely Dish. I have Dish Network at home and added a Wally to the RV for another $8 a month. I got the King Tailgater bundle from Amazon and love the auto-search function on the satellite dish. The Wally is HD quality too. My friend has DirectTV in his RV and every time he sets up camp, has to add a power adapter cable to the portable satellite dish and his DirectTv receiver is not HD. FYI
Joedh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:00 PM   #24

I ordered our unit with the optional Winegard Trav'ler satellite dish. On the paperwork it specifically mentions DIRECTV. I imagine it can be switched over. We pick the unit up next week so I will begin research on it. We have cable at home and it snows here all the time so I am not keen on switching to a dish. We don't travel FT so buying satellite just for the motorhome does not make much sense...
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
just about everything, some apps come in better than others, but most now days are pay apps.

Sometimes the moderators miss these side comments. Let's police ourselves & stick to Jayco RV stuff on this Jayco RV forum. Thanks very much to all
Old 01-06-2022, 07:15 AM   #26

DirecTV or Dish

Get Dish! We share DirecTV with a friend. They use it in winter in their fish house, summer in our MH. If you don't use it for awhile you almost always have to call to get it going again. What a pain. Plus with Dish you can pay by the month. Direct is every month.
walchmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:47 AM   #27
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by walchmn View Post
Get Dish! We share DirecTV with a friend. They use it in winter in their fish house, summer in our MH. If you don't use it for awhile you almost always have to call to get it going again. What a pain. Plus with Dish you can pay by the month. Direct is every month.
Same with DISH. I have to reset with every trip when it is not used for a month or so.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Same with DISH. I have to reset with every trip when it is not used for a month or so.
Me too. But now I can go in and re-establish connection on the dish app. So much better than calling, answering all their questions before they just resend out the signal to the Wally. But you have to give it 15-20 minutes before it updates, sometimes, depending on how remote of a location your at, you have to resend signal twice. But still better than calling
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:18 AM   #29

Do you have to do something to the actual unit to switch over to Dish? I would prefer month to month. As mentioned, my rig is optioned with the DIRECTV dish...
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
Do you have to do something to the actual unit to switch over to Dish? I would prefer month to month. As mentioned, my rig is optioned with the DIRECTV dish...
You have to go with an antenna that’s useable with the Wally. More and more dishes are compable with both. Call the mfg of the dish your unit came with and see what they say can be done to change over, they may even have a compatible unit.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 mixson View Post
going to get a dish or direct tv satellite box any inputs on what the best to get ?
Dish all the way. Have app on phone screen share to rv smart tv and watch my local news everywhere I go
Sparky spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stauber View Post
We switched from DTV to Dish about a year ago. We weren't happy with AT&T CS or their latest price increase. Dish is quite a bit cheaper, and we like the ability to integrate OTA channels (antenna) into the system TV Guide.
Can you please tell me how to do that? I would love to be able to have my ota channels in the guide! Thanks!!

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW5AVRet View Post

Sometimes the moderators miss these side comments. Let's police ourselves & stick to Jayco RV stuff on this Jayco RV forum. Thanks very much to all
Amen! 100% agreed. This is a great site, with loads of good people with great advise & conversation. I, & lots of others come here to relax & hopefully learn something.
57gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:36 PM   #34
CAG

If we are trying to keep this out of that realm, then name calling comments about one side or the other are uncalled for. When you pick a side and start calling names you are not neutral.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spower View Post
Can you please tell me how to do that? I would love to be able to have my ota channels in the guide! Thanks!!
You will need to purchase a Dish OTA adapter. Dish store or Amazon carry them for around $50.00. It will come with instructions to attach to your antenna and then search channels and add to your TV guide. We think it's a nice feature and hope it is helpful to you as well.
stauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:01 PM   #36

We use our unlimited wi fi data from Verizon. Both have its pros and cons and we are getting rid of comcast once our dvr is cleaned out. Which should have been but isn't happening. We are going full roku with its apps and using our hot spots to stream. We have found all mediums to be disappointing. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post

On the Seneca with the Winegard T4, they come from the factory set to Direct and you just have to remove the dome with 4 screws and there is a set of DIP switches that you need to change to set up for Dish....thats it. We use a Wally receiver.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:02 PM   #38

Personally I always liked DISH, had it at my old house, but had to move to direct TV due to azimuth and elevation and my new house. In short, DISH network satelights are located more over the equator, and are easier to access in the lower states. I live in Maryland, so they are pretty low on the Horizon. Due to trees I had to switch to Direct TV for home use because their satelights are at a higher azimuth and elevation. I always had a receiver for the RV. For me Direct TV worked the best, in these northern parts because of the low elevation of DISH. Even when I go south, it was easier to get Direct TV mainly because of trees and low elevation of DISH compared to Direct TV.

Hope that helps.
From 2001 Daemon Escaper
From 1998 Daemon Intruder
From 1993 Daemon Hornet
From Tent (BEST RV EVER!)
Jmorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by stauber View Post
You will need to purchase a Dish OTA adapter. Dish store or Amazon carry them for around $50.00. It will come with instructions to attach to your antenna and then search channels and add to your TV guide. We think it's a nice feature and hope it is helpful to you as well.
I got it and I did it. Thank you for this idea, I love it very convenient and now I can cancel my local channels

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:00 PM   #40

We just take our house receiver and put it in the Motorhome when we are traveling, and use a Dish Playmaker satellite antenna.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote