Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Sam

Does any Seneca owner carry a spare tire?

I am thinking about carrying a spare tire. I tow a Chevy ZR2 and can easily place the spare in the bed of the truck. The bed is covered with a hard cover and I can secure the tire with a steel cable. I probably will not mount it on a wheel because of total weight of tire and wheel. Big rig tows can easily mount the tire on scene. I have Good Sam insurance to do the heavy work. I realize the wheel can be damaged when a flat happens but most of the time it is just the Tire.

My questing is does any Seneca owners carry a spare and what is your method?

Thanks, Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

When we had our KODIAK SENECA I.bought one of these and installed it underneath. Not sure how the FREIGHTLINER frame is, but it may be doable.

TufTug
Old 02-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #3

norty1 has a google search tool that can help you find several conversations on this topic. There are several people that do carry one. I tried to copy this link but was not able too. You can search for norty1 and find his posts.

Spare tires are one of the great debating topics on this and other rv sites. So it can get interesting.

Really a personal choice. Some would not move without one and others feel it is a waste of space and weight.

I would be curious from the some of the long time seneca and large class a rig owners how many tire failures they have actually had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #4

I considered it. Once I figured out that I wasn't up to breaking the lugs off at 500# I got a roadside assistance package. :-)
Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #5

Hello. I carry a rimless spare tire in the pass-thru storage of my '08 Seneca because I feel better about having it when on a long road trip. No way, obviously, I do the installation in the event of a tire failure, but I feel better about not having to buy an overpriced new tire, or even used tire, in some small Podunk town. Also, I spare no expense when buying new tires, given the money invested in our coach. Just something that makes me feel better! Happy Trails...
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #6

Does any Seneca owner carry a spare tire?

How often do you replace the spare or do you rotate that into some sort of tire rotation. On that matter do people rotate tires at all? Side to side? Do tires have same problem with aging regardless if they are aired up or not mounted? I know UV is the biggest killer of tires other than low air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #7

The only way to rotate is to dismount/remount the tires since front and rear rims are not the same. Michelin says you don't need to do it in most cases anyway.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #8

I would think about the weight of tire and wheel. Seneca tires are way bigger than a PU's. Then there the 100+ psi which is the primary reason given for amateurs to have a pro change the tire. An oops moment could be very hazardous.

With 8 years of class A/super C experience I have never had a tire replaced while traveling. Dang, I probably jinxed myself!

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:04 PM   #9

I carry a mounted tire on a steel rim in my enclosed trailer. I also have the torque multiplier kit to R&R it if need be. We do a lot of boondocking in the Rockies and to get a tire company out there could get interesting, I believe in the old motto " Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it".
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #10

Whether it's the tires in use, or a spare kept in storage, tires do have a shelf life. What I've been told over the years is your RV tires will most likely be replaced due to age, not tread life. I've been told that RV tires should be replaced every 5 to 6 years, again, regardless of tread life. My spare tire...I'll probably consider replacing after 7 or 8 years if never used. The cost of doing business. I do love having this problem, though! It's only money. Happy Trails...
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #11

If you don't have a tire and have a flat it could cost you a good full day to find one and have it installed but that's your call. You can get road side service 24/7 but the tire store closes at 5 so you could be spending the night on the side of the highway till noon the next day!

I carry a spare tire!
Old 03-01-2018, 06:16 AM   #12

It seems like you would have to carry 2 on the Freightliner M2 frame, since steering tires and rear tires are different sizes.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #13

This is a low probability failure event IMHO especially considering we're dealing with robust truck tires on the Seneca and do frequent tire inspections and air-ups. We carry the 800 service number only and would be ok with boondocking while waiting for a jobber to source the replacement tire.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #14

I wouldn't travel anywhere without a spare. I believe in mounted spares that way you can change yours self in 30 mins vs sitting along side the road for 6hrs.

I realize everyone is not capable of changing 22.5 or 24.5 tires. Carry an impact and a big breaker bar and a 20ton bottle jack and you can change almost as fast as a pick up if you are accustomed to working on heavy trucks. If not I guess roadside assistance it is.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote