Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2023, 09:39 AM   #1

Door handle broke?

2022 Accolode XL 37K. Our first granddaughter was just born and we decided to take the coach vs flying. Woke up this morning to take the dogs out and the inside door handle literally fell off? I tried (unsuccessfully) to get the door open with some tools to see if the handle might be able to be reattached to the mechanism inside, but no joy. I’m thinking there’s a silver lining that this happened with the door closed vice open. Anyone experience this? Fixes? I called the repair shop (dealer) this morning and left a message about this new issue as well as the ongoing issue with the AquaHot not working for the whole trip! Grrrr.
Thanks, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
88DB5870-3CB6-48E4-B2B9-205D6E6EF695.jpg  
Lasvegasstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:57 AM   #2

I have heard several reports of the handle breaking off. I have also read that RVLock has a replacement keyless lock out now that fits but you would need to check on that.

I say a post of a repair of a broken handle, not sure if the break is the same but here is the information from that post. Also pictures are attached.

“ As some of y’all know, the door handle broke on our 2021. I managed a “field fix” consisting of JB weld until I got home and was able to hopefully fix it right.
Basically filed the boss for the c-clip completely down, drilled the hole in the middle of the handle deeper and tapped it with a 1/4-20. This way you can thread a bolt down to hold everything together Instead of relying on a c-clip with pot metal (useless).
I strongly suggest making some sort of pull handle instead of using the actual handle to slam the door shut. (Maybe it’s just my 200lb gorilla hands)
Just figured I would share to help other people if the problem arises.”

Here is a link to the new lock.

https://www.rvlock.com/collections/c...a-c-motorhomes
Attached Thumbnails
E0451D38-ABD7-4EA2-973A-8E9BEB394B14.jpeg   8EABEBEB-9453-4A3D-8C95-4A1D97B4793B.jpeg   1D1700FB-069A-44B3-9D67-5D8DD942B23B.jpeg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:02 PM   #3

Thanks for that info and hyperlink. I will definitely look into that. Thank goodness that we can get in/out via the cab doors. I would be absolutely dumbfounded if this happened in our 5er with a single entry door. Crazy!
Old 03-17-2023, 07:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasvegasstones View Post
Thanks for that info and hyperlink. I will definitely look into that. Thank goodness that we can get in/out via the cab doors. I would be absolutely dumbfounded if this happened in our 5er with a single entry door. Crazy!
We had the exact same experience in our week old 2023 Accolade XL 3LM. It took us many phone calls and over a month to get a replacement door handle. I drove an hour to pick it up and install it myself otherwise it would have been who knows how long before they would get to it. I finally had them out to adjust it so that we weren't slamming the door all the time risking a repeat. The entire door and latch setup is terrible. We get the flapping at the top as well and had the tweaking of the door adjustment done. It's better but still bad. Next they want to apply their factory "recall" fix which I believe is a magnet at the top, but that has been three months and nothing yet.

I will be looking at the new keyless lock by RVLock hoping it will fit so we don't have the dumb handle break off again.

I like the dedicated pull handle idea as well, will contemplate that...

James
737SimGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 03:19 PM   #5

The RV Lock website says they are currently sold out until Spring? Other than that the picture those shows handles/locks NOT compatible sure looks like the one we currently have on our rigs. Don’t know, maybe I’m wrong. I’ll look into further after we get back from our trip and talking with the dealership. Other than a couple WTF issues, overall comfort of winter travel has been above my expectations (knock on wood). Safe travels to all. If anyone has actually used this Atlas and it worked, I would be appreciative to know that.