Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #1

Dual A/C replacement

I have a 2018 TS and have just experienced dual ac failure. First two months ago the front unit stopped cooling while in Myrtle Beach. I was able to wait until I got home and started to diagnose the issue. First thing I saw when I removed the cover was oil in the pan and on the lines going into the compressor so with the current era regulations I had to replace the unit. Got this unit ordered and was hoping to survive on the rear unit. Unfortunately this past week the weather got hotter and the rear ac started to cool less and less. I went up there today and pulled the shrouds and again saw oil in a similar location. I was kind of surprised as I have not heard that many issues or complaint with these units. I expected or was prepared for solenoid, relay or capacitor issue but no such luck. Has anyone else experienced this type of failure?
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I have a 2018 TS and have just experienced dual ac failure. First two months ago the front unit stopped cooling while in Myrtle Beach. I was able to wait until I got home and started to diagnose the issue. First thing I saw when I removed the cover was oil in the pan and on the lines going into the compressor so with the current era regulations I had to replace the unit. Got this unit ordered and was hoping to survive on the rear unit. Unfortunately this past week the weather got hotter and the rear ac started to cool less and less. I went up there today and pulled the shrouds and again saw oil in a similar location. I was kind of surprised as I have not heard that many issues or complaint with these units. I expected or was prepared for solenoid, relay or capacitor issue but no such luck. Has anyone else experienced this type of failure?

Ouch! Mine is only several months older than yours. In preparation (oh I hope not) who did you order from and how long will it take to get it? Our Macerators failed at the same time ... sure as hell hope that was just a coincidence!
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #3

I negotiated a deal on an extended warrantee when I bought the unit. So I worked through RV one who ordered it from Jayco. It has been three weeks on the first one and no idea of when it will come in. I just sent the information to them on the second unit today so I will cross my fingers until I actually see a unit. I have portable 15000btu unit set up in the rv for the time being. it seems to be keeping up but then it is only 84 outside, 72 inside but dehumidified so seems comfortable especially when you come in from outside. It looks like the unit are available on several websites but I would rather have the warrantee company buy a new one then go through the hassle to get it covered if I bought it directly.

The first unit lines leaked where the tubing comes through the interior housing unit, it looks like they might have been rubbing against the shroud. The second unit failed no where near any bulk head or other tubing.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #4

Well I certainly don’t like hearing this since our Seneca’s are the same age. Sorry you are dealing with this.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Well I certainly don’t like hearing this since our Seneca’s are the same age. Sorry you are dealing with this.
Sadly we have had three AC units replaced on ours since we bought our 2015 Seneca...

Today it crossed the 100F mark and unit #4 and #5 are still running/cooling. I am starting to wonder if they will last as well as a typical roof top AC unit... The Heat Pump functions don't really work like a residential Heat Pump at low temps... and have not used the Heat Pump settings with these latest units...

Not sure it matters, ""but if it aint broken, I'm not fixing!""
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:24 AM   #6

I find it sad that these can not be sealed up and recharged easily. There are companies that have the correct tools but not readily available in this area. The Freon has already fled the unit and now we have two units that have to be recycled. Not sure how that is any better for the environment. On the bright side I am recovering some of the money I spend on the extended warrantee....
Old 06-06-2021, 01:15 PM   #7

I am changing my stock ac units (15k front heat pump and 13k rear) for (2) 15k Mach 8 low profile units in preparation for a 4x4 conversion. If anyone is looking for units, mine are 6 week old units, please contact me.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:27 AM   #8

What kind of heat are we talking about? Basically black Seneca in 95 degrees Sun or 110 plus degree heat of the West?

We stay mostly East and deal have dealt with AC Problems. Replaced the front 15K unit and had to have the 13K unit serviced. But we usually don't run them at the same time. 15K unit usually runs on hot, full Sun during the day and 13K unit most of the time for nights and cooler days. We thought of your upgrade, but don't think 2 15K unit would run on our 8k generator. Have run both the 15k and 13k units on 8k generator, but not for long periods of time. Another deal breaker on next unit is never to be black or the dark colors. Having to run air on a 70 degree day, always seems rediculous.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
What kind of heat are we talking about? Basically black Seneca in 95 degrees Sun or 110 plus degree heat of the West?

We stay mostly East and deal have dealt with AC Problems. Replaced the front 15K unit and had to have the 13K unit serviced. But we usually don't run them at the same time. 15K unit usually runs on hot, full Sun during the day and 13K unit most of the time for nights and cooler days. We thought of your upgrade, but don't think 2 15K unit would run on our 8k generator. Have run both the 15k and 13k units on 8k generator, but not for long periods of time. Another deal breaker on next unit is never to be black or the dark colors. Having to run air on a 70 degree day, always seems rediculous.
Ric,

We have two 15k AC/HeatPumps on our Seneca and can run both along with all of the other AC appliances all day long in over 100F weather on our 8k Onan QD.

On our annual Country Jam adventure, we spend six days in a hay-field running our AC's from 9AM to 2AM every day... No issues at all!

Old 06-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post

Ric - Did you swap the rear A/C for a smaller non-heat pump unit? I thought Jayco didn't downsize the rear A/C (and make it a non-heat pump) until several years later. Your rear thermostat doesn't have an "Elec Heat" position on the controls?

And I have run both my 15K A/C units, my electric water heater, and done laundry in my Spendide combo unit while driving down the road without any issues. It is best for both the generator section and the Kubota diesel to be run with a good load. I have never popped the generator or other breakers running it that way.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #11

Having two 15000 btu units was great. Even after the first one died the second was able to keep the rig cool at 85 outside for cooling and hot when the temp dropped to 45 this spring. We normally use the unit that is in the room we are not in, this keeps it quieter in the room we are in.

The heat pumps work great down to 40 or so. I have never had any issue with the generator when boondocking or traveling.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:12 PM   #12

Just as a bit of info the 15k btu heat pumps draw 15.4amps each, so a 8,000 generator will handle the ac's with no problem, as others have chimed in here.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:30 PM   #13

Quote:
The heat pumps work great down to 40 or so.
That is what we found too... If it is going to fall below 40F, we turn them off and switch to other heating sources like our electric Fireplace.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:05 AM   #14

Robbbyr,

It was the 15K that had to be replaced. I think it was bad from new. The idea of not being able to install 2 15K's was stated by the technician. SloPoke proves with his use, that the 50 amp system can handle it.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Ouch, with 3-yo units, did you check/ verify Possible WARRANTY COVERAGE? This TYPE of failure should definitely be covered, if there was a 48-60-month? 36-mo might be questionable?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
That is what we found too... If it is going to fall below 40F, we turn them off and switch to other heating sources like our electric Fireplace.
You can add the heat strips and they will come on when the compressor shuts off. They are plug and play.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You can add the heat strips and they will come on when the compressor shuts off. They are plug and play.
Nope... the unit has to shut off and allow the heat strip to melt the iced up coil on the outside - while providing NO heat to the interior. They can't run at the same time as the heat strip AND the heat pump power requirements exceed the circuit provided capacity...

Even at the shoulder temps where the ambient outside is at 40F and DP is below 32 it fails as a heat pump due to icing. ...

Old 06-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #18

AC failure

Just bought a 2017 37HJ in Lake Havasu a week and a half ago.

Both units blew cold for the demo. Brought it back to Mesa....110 degrees all week long. Just had a rear AC failure and the front unit cannot cool the living room. Lucky we're not living in it.

Depending on the diagnosis tomorrow, any recommendations on what to replace it/them with?
Deputydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #19

Just got the two ac units replaced yesterday along with new slide out wheels in kitchen slide, I was able to recoup some of the money I spent on the extended warrantee. When I got home and the front unit ran great, the rear unit did not operate at all. Used an electrical proximity meter and I could see the power going on and off as I powered the unit up and down. Rather then drag it back to the dealer I decided to do some investigating. Tested the neutral to ground and did not get any reading so I looked at the wiring harness and found the neutral wire nut was loose and wire fell out. Rejoined the wires and put on a new nut and the unit runs perfectly.

Once again people rushing to get done and the job is half done. The dealer is 1.5 hours away and if I had to take it back I might have been pissed off. I feel for people who are not able to work on these units themselves.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #20

My AC unit lasted about three or four years.
Shameful.