Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2021, 05:16 PM   #1

Emergency Exit Window

Hey fellow Seneca owners. Has anyone experienced the rear emergency exit window falling out and shattering. I have a 2016 Seneca and someone must have pulled the emergency exit latch on back window. It looks like the window is 2 pieces and the bottom emergency window popped out. Trying to order the window from a Jayco dealer and they are saying the dimensions of the window is the total back window. Is there indeed 2 parts to the the window, the bottom connected to the emergency latch. Any insights would be appreciated.
ripples2ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Jayco buys the window assemblies from another manufacturer, and probably can't supply individual panels. There are a couple of choices that I can think of off the top of my head. First, look at the remaining glass, or another window, the manufacturer will be on it like Cleer Vision, RecPro, or Lippert to name a few. A call to them directly may be fruitful.

Second, take the RV to an automotive glass shop to see if they have the ability to make one from their measurements. I'd compare pricing compared to replacing the entire window.

Third is replace the entire unit.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #3

Thank you J flight for the advice. I will look into your suggestions. The whole window panel is really expensive.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #4
Site Team

I'm sure it is. Good luck on your quest, and let us know how it turns out. I'm sure you're not going to be the last one to have this mishap.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #5

Been there, done that. Fairly recently too, like this past summer.
You have to use tempered glass. My experience, my local glass shops dont like doing custom cutting tempered glass work.
I did find a one man company that only does commercial glass work. He helped me out and got me tempered glass custom cut to my size and corner radius, I have frameless windows, for a fraction of the price. It was just the glass. I still needed to figure out how to adhere the hinge and emergency latch to the glass like the factory does.
My jayco dealer got me a complete window ordered and had no idea on when it would be in. Ended up taking a couple of months.
However, I did a TON of sniffing around the ole interweb and found a place in Elkhart, IN. My window is an LCI brand window. This company showed this particular window only for a Keystone brand. Whatever. I learned windows are windows. Just like tires for vehicles, if it's a X brand tire in a Z size, it dont matter if it came on a Ford truck from the factory, itll fit a GM truck or a Ram truck if it has the same size tires on it.
The windows are sold by the size of the hole in the wall it fits into. Measurements dont have to be EXACT, if they are off by say 1/4" here or there, it'll fit.
Unfortunately you'll end up having to buy the complete window, frame and all. If it's a frameless window, itll slide right in the original frame.
Here ya go;

https://elkrv.com/

Dont have a heart attack when you see the prices, but they are still a bit cheaper than the dealer and much faster getting the needed window to you also.
I ordered mine late on a friday afternoon and it showed up Wednesday.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #6

I have had flat tempered glass made/cut for old cars. I have not done it in 10 years, but the price was not bad. I think it took them about a week to do it. If it is a framed E-Exit window like mine, just remove the frame holding the glass and bring it in. Also bring in a sample of the shattered glass so you can have it tinted to match.

Edit: I was just l looking at auto glass companies near me, none of them stated anything about custom work anymore. I did notice a few glass shops that do flat glass work like custom showers that state they could do this type of work.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Jayco buys the window assemblies from another manufacturer, and probably can't supply individual panels. There are a couple of choices that I can think of off the top of my head. First, look at the remaining glass, or another window, the manufacturer will be on it like Cleer Vision, RecPro, or Lippert to name a few. A call to them directly may be fruitful.

Second, take the RV to an automotive glass shop to see if they have the ability to make one from their measurements. I'd compare pricing compared to replacing the entire window.

Third is replace the entire unit.
... agreeing with JFlightRisk. Some years ago I did some window and screen mods. Jayco gave me the suppliers information and I was able to deal with them directly. It worked well for me; hope it works for you, too.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #8

Thank you all for the great suggestions