Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #1

Equalizer leveler systems operation / deploy sequence

Confused on why / how the equalizer hydraulic leveling system should work.

Using auto-level The system on my Seneca will put down the opposite jacks that you might think need to come down first (the rear is higher it will deploy rear first) and no rhyme or reason / logic to the sequence it deploys the jacks ever that I could figure out.

I have set zero on the system and added snappads.

The system unless parked on a very level surface is not that useful. Am I expecting too much of the system which is possible.

I wanted to see if others have the same experience or the jacks come down evenly or not.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #2

On my Greyhawk, when I park if the back is higher than the front, it will raise the front first, since it can't lower the back. Having said this, my system will often over lift the low side, raising the tires off the ground, even though it doesn't have to, since it is not that uneven. Sometimes I need to level the rig manually, by lowering the jacks just enough to stabilize the rig, while using a manual fisheye level, on the floor, near the jack control panel.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

When we hit auto-level, The first step is where it lowers all four at the same time, about half way. Next they come down one at a time - the front drivers comes down first until it touches, then the front passenger comes down, next the rear passenger, then the rear driver.

Once all have touched the ground, then the system will start to level by raising two jacks each cycle until it is level... it pairs them up as front two, driver side pair, passenger side pair and rear pair.

It always follows this pattern.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
When we hit auto-level, The first step is where it lowers all four at the same time, about half way. Next they come down one at a time - the front drivers comes down first until it touches, then the front passenger comes down, next the rear passenger, then the rear driver.

Once all have touched the ground, then the system will start to level by raising two jacks each cycle until it is level... it pairs them up as front two, driver side pair, passenger side pair and rear pair.

It always follows this pattern.
Thanks I will have to pay closer attention to see if this is what mine is doing I still think I may be expecting too much of the leveling system.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:35 AM   #5

What is it doing that you are not happy with? Front wheels off the ground? Uneven"level?" The unit use pressure sensors to sense the feet getting planted. Once all feet are grounded it starts to level in pairs. The actual sensor for level is located on the ceiling of the basement storage bays.

The main issue I hear about seems to be related to the air bags. Leveling with the bags aired up seems to force the front tires off the ground. Many of us have developed tricks to dep the bags and some of us have installed air dump valves. Dropping the air bags lowers the rear ride height about 2.5-3 inches.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:57 AM   #6

As RVermont said above, the issue is the airbags raising the rear. As the jacks are raising the rear you will hear the airbags purging air, unfortunately the do not completely empty. Mine is usually good enough, however there are times when I will do an “all retract” and then “auto level” again and that seems to help since more air is expelled from airbags. Another trick is to pump the brake with the engine off and that will help empty the air tanks. The best solution appears to be installing dump valves which I have not done yet.

Most of the time the self leveling works goood enough. Sometimes I will re-level after a couple of days of camping as the unit/ground settles. I also carry a stack of cut 2x12s to place under the wheels and jacks for the rare instances that I cannnot level due to slope or terrain. In these instances I will manually raise and lower the jacks as needed.

And lastly, every so often I have to “set the null” as the Equalizer seems to forget what level is.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #7

Thinking about the description of the deployment when the jacks are doing the initial grounding it starts to lift wheels off the ground but honestly after reading the descriptions of the deployment I want to watch it deploy again.

The majority of the problem is not getting it level and lifting tires off the ground.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:45 AM   #8

Here is a good thread to start on to understand the issues involved with Jayco not integrating the leveling system and the air suspension system:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-58963-6.html

The key is to dump the air suspension otherwise the equalizer system gets somewhat confused and the front wheels have a tendency to come off the ground. You can do it manually or install a dump valve. Both are discussed in the above mentioned thread. Also, null out your equalizer on a regular basis. You don't have to have your equalizer deployed to null-out as long as your vehicle is level.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote