Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2023, 01:51 PM   #1

External propane tank into quick-connect?

Hi all.

Question: 2020-2021 37L Accolade (rebadged Seneca).

Has the quick-connect propane fitting for plugging in grills, etc.

Can that quick connect port be used to connect an external propane tank in the event my main onboard propane tank goes empty, WITHOUT having a separate "extend-a-stay" propane fitting installed? Or is a Camco extend-a-stay the only way to get external propane into the system?

Big thanks.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:53 PM   #2

To hook in an external tank you will need to tap in between the main tank valve and the regulator. I used the Sturgi-Stay kit that comes with quick disconnects and hoses you need to either connecting to a tank or other devices.

https://caloreequipment.com/products...ay-deluxe-kit/
Attached Thumbnails
i-ghdvmJs-X2.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM   #3

Have you looked to the left of the bay that has the tank in it? My 2022 has a fitting with a valve already there. Just needed an extended quick connet line to connect to it.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Jason View Post
Have you looked to the left of the bay that has the tank in it? My 2022 has a fitting with a valve already there. Just needed an extended quick connet line to connect to it.
That's what I'm asking. I have that valve, but it is meant for hooking up a grill to - to OUTPUT propane. I'm not sure if it can be used to INPUT propane. That's my question.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM22 View Post
That's what I'm asking. I have that valve, but it is meant for hooking up a grill to - to OUTPUT propane. I'm not sure if it can be used to INPUT propane. That's my question.
Sorry, I did not read your question correctly. You can't use that line for input and would need to use the type of valve linked to by Rusty above. Our unit only runs the heat from the tank so we have yet to get into a situation where we have stayed long enough to need the external tank. Hopefully when I retire I will get there and need the same valve!
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:55 PM   #6

Adding the Extend-A-Stay is not hard at all. Just make sure you test for leaks afterwards. It really adds a lot of versatility and options. Because the Extend-A-Stay will be unregulated, allowing you more choices with the items you hook up that come with their own regulators. And you'll still have the regulated port your rig came with. I have 5 or 6 different propane appliances I use between the two. (Blackstone, firepit, heater, lantern, BLUU torch). Not to mention I hook up 20lb propane bottles and use them instead of my onboard tank when campingso I don't have to refill as often.
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:14 PM   #7

If you turned off the main tank and the smaller external tank had a regulator on it Would it Work ?????
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
If you turned off the main tank and the smaller external tank had a regulator on it Would it Work ?????
The Extend-A-Stay tee is installed between the tank outlet valve and the rig's regulator. For the RV's propane system to function properly unregulated propane is what needs to be input from an external tank into the tee. My kit came with the appropriate hose to hook up an external tank.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:23 AM   #9

My previous reply was in reference to hooking up an external tank to the BBQ quick disconnect outlet, would this work ? Please read my first post after reading this one….
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
My previous reply was in reference to hooking up an external tank to the BBQ quick disconnect outlet, would this work ? Please read my first post after reading this one….
Most regulators that connect directly to a BBQ tank are sized to feed a single appliance (burner), compared to the large regulator on the rig sized to supply enough regulated propane for everything the rig has installed.

So depending on the BTU output of the specific regulator you attach to your external cylinder, you probably can supply some of your rig's systems. That is contingent on the rig's propane outlet connection not having a one-way check valve installed.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:02 PM   #11

IT WILL BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to connect a propane bottle to the quick-disconnect.

The convenience connection is a regulated source, at about 10"-11" WC pressure. This is very low pressure!

Connecting a ~200 PSI line directly from a propane tank to the convenience connection would be a disaster.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM22 View Post
Hi all.

Question: 2020-2021 37L Accolade (rebadged Seneca).

Has the quick-connect propane fitting for plugging in grills, etc.

Can that quick connect port be used to connect an external propane tank in the event my main onboard propane tank goes empty, WITHOUT having a separate "extend-a-stay" propane fitting installed? Or is a Camco extend-a-stay the only way to get external propane into the system?

Big thanks.
The external tank fitting is designed as a goes-outa, not a goes-inta. The issue is the valve interlock and the gas system on that side is low-pressure. You'd need a regulator on the external tank. I don't recommend doing this.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
The external tank fitting is designed as a goes-outa, not a goes-inta. The issue is the valve interlock and the gas system on that side is low-pressure. You'd need a regulator on the external tank. I don't recommend doing this.
If you take this a step further, and you add a regulator to the external tank, it would be prudent to measure the pressure in your propane lines that your appliances are used to, and make sure the pressure from the external tank is the same. Also, the capacity of the regulator needs to be large enough for whatever appliances may be firing simultaneously.

The flames in your existing appliances are adjusted for the pressure they're using from the onboard regulator. Too much or too little pressure and you could have unintended consequences.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote