Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #1

Factory

For those of you who have returned with your coach to the Jayco factory, what kind of work have the technicians performed - elective or warranty or both? IF our Seneca needs warranty work at the factory, I would like to make the most of our appointment. Just trying to gather ideas from those who have been there done that!
Old 01-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

My 2014 TS went back to Middlebury twice for warranty-related issues and I couldn't be happier with the work they performed. Went above and beyond both times.

Each time when I delivered it to the service center the staff accompanied me and went over my list, but actually they were going over the whole unit. Both times they found smaller issues that I was going to address myself and included them in their work. On my first visit I had recently swapped out my Girard tankless (thankless!) water heater, and the new Atwood's cover was plain white. Prior to coming they knew they were going to do some other paint work and we discussed painting the cover to match. I certainly expected to pay for that "extra". When I went to pick it up they did it for free! Now I likely could have had them swap the Girard under warranty, but I would have received a LP-only 6 gallon unit. Instead I installed a 10-gallon Atwood XT gas/electric model. So maybe doing the painting for free was partial compensation for not having to replace a complete water heater.

And one thing they repaired on the last visit in addition to actual warranty items were several small tears in the dinette upholstery that my grandsons did accidentally with a toy. I didn't include it on my list being a self-inflicted damage item, but during the walk-thru they saw them and despite my explanation put masking tape on it and re-covered that seat!

Middlebury is "only" 4 hours from me, I know for many it would be a huge endeavour to take their unit back. And the wait time for an appointment is quite long. It worked in my favor, both of my appointments were during the winter when we didn't need it (working wife still!). So I am very happy with my factory service experiences!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #3

Unfortunately for us we are 2000 miles from a Factory service center! So we are stuck with dealing with the RV dealers! Uck
Attached Thumbnails
Sun Flowers Good.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

I too live a few miles away so I opted for the factory to pick up and deliver. Here's what they fixed as I can best recall:
- Separation at cab and house connection - "wing wall"
- Leak at wing wall both sides (improperly installed AC)
- Improperly installed drawer
- Improperly installed valance
- Rear cap improperly installed
- Plumbing leak in wet bay

They also fixed a number of other small items that they were aware of like refridge drain, corroded screws, misaligned doors, new entry lock, etc.

I don't have the records with me so I can't list all.

I give them a B- because it came back with the rear slide offset so the sweep seal on one side is barely touching and flattened big time on the other...not that way when they got it. I also had dripping under the bed slide which the dealer fixed (they claim).

If you do send to factory I would drive it because I suspect that driver may have screwed up the bed slide. I have sleep number mattress and must be deflated before bringing slide in. To avoid future problems and speed up deflation, I installed valves under the bed.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #5

I had our PINNACLE back for some warranty and non warranty at the same time and as Robbbyr mentioned work was excellent and a couple non warranty ended up n/c.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #6

Warranty work

We were there in August 2016 and the work was fantastic but the only did the things on my list ( nothing extra ) and I had to check everything and a couple of things had to have a second attempt.
You may wait a really long time to get an appointment- we have an appointment for April 9th we started trying to get an appointment in may ( 11 months ) and they want us there for 4 weeks - they wont order any parts until we arrive even though they diagnosed the issues when we were there before
One of my frustrations is that they won't upgrade anything ( only replace with white original equipment ) example they wont replace the junk Girard with a Truma but they will with another Girard - they know the Truma is the way to go because it it in the 2018s - the Jenson dash unit is no longer available from Jenson but they say that they wont replace it with the one in the 2018s ( we are going to go around and around over this )

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #7

This is all great information - extremely useful. Exactly what we needed. We should have a definitive answer tomorrow after speaking directly with Jayco this afternoon. Already you have confirmed that we will be better off delivering our coach to the factory - no third party delivery driver.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
One of my frustrations is that they won't upgrade anything ( only replace with white original equipment ) example they wont replace the junk Girard with a Truma but they will with another Girard - they know the Truma is the way to go because it it in the 2018s - the Jenson dash unit is no longer available from Jenson but they say that they wont replace it with the one in the 2018s ( we are going to go around and around over this )
Have you offered to pay the upgrade difference? If yes and they still say no, that is a recent policy change.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #9

I took my 31FS there. Worst welding I've ever seen. My dog can do better.

They did fix the majority of the issues, but per typical dealer shenanigans, they NPF'd a few problems (no problem found) and never bothered to call and ask about it before writing it off.

So, of course, I go down there to pick it up when they said it was ready. A couple of these things were small, but hugely annoying. I would rather have waited and explained exactly what the deal was, but it was too late at that point.

Sometimes they are super helpful. Other times, not at all. Reminds me of the old car saying, "don't buy a car made on a friday."
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #10

We have an appointment in May and are hoping for the best - long drive to get there. We've had a leak problem in our bedroom slide, only leaking when the slide is in and driving in a downpour with water splashing from our tow vehicle. Took it to our dealer twice. They gave us some weather stripping to put on. This, of course, is not the issue. We can see what the problem is; and when we sent the pictures to Jayco, they could also see it immediately. Our warranty is up mid-May, and this is the only issue we've had with our unit. For our peace of mind, it will be worth it and an excuse for a road trip.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote