Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2022, 02:50 PM   #1

Fill fresh water and it siphons out

It this normal? Was it overfilled? Solutions?
The tank empties through three lines.

Thank you in advance.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:01 PM   #2

Common problem. Search and you'll find lots of info. I guess I'm lucky, mine only siphons from one 1/2" line. I put a shutoff that stays open unless syphoning, then opened at campsite.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:05 PM   #3
CAG

Shut off valves on all over flows but you have to put a note on your check list to open them before filling the tank or you expand the tank and blowup things.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:48 PM   #4

Many threads about it, mine would drain down to almost half empty. Like some said, you can add a valve but to me thats just asking for trouble....forget to open it when you set up camp and you can collapse your tank and forget to open before you fill can expand and pop the floor up, its been reported here.

Then best thing to do is to build an air gap to break the siphon, it doesnt take much, Many ways of doing it.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-54340.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ons-66946.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ank-54228.html

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:57 PM   #5

Yes "normal", but only because its common and ill designed.

No, not overfilled.

The problem is 2 fold. As you fill the tank with the high pressure of city water, near when the tank is full, the water flows out the overflows, ok; but then this high pressure (with no air) creates the siphon. The other issue is the shallow tank and once filled and as you travel; the water sloshes around and escapes out the overflows.

It helps to slow the fill flow once the tank is nearing full, hopefully not creating the siphon.

And the standard fix for many of us as others already mention is to install shutoffs at the overflows. These are open when filling (make a note, as @CAG states!) and once overflow, turn off supply water and quickly shut the valves. Then open when at camp and using on board water (I only open 1 valve at camp).
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:53 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Many threads about it, mine would drain down to almost half empty. Like some said, you can add a valve but to me thats just asking for trouble....forget to open it when you set up camp and you can collapse your tank and forget to open before you fill can expand and pop the floor up, its been reported here.

Then best thing to do is to build an air gap to break the siphon, it doesnt take much, Many ways of doing it.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-54340.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ons-66946.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ank-54228.html
I had valves on the cyclone for 11 years and never had “ trouble”. Put it on your checklist and much like flying don’t skip your checklist and yo are fine. Ignore the check list and pay the price.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post

So, yesterday, I was posting instead of thinking. I believe it was the heat of the moment i.e. packing up, ready to travel and water flushing out like no tomorrow.

After looking at the three lines all siphoning and reading a couple of lines, I ran one line to behind my fuel inlet as an air gap. 30 minutes to extend the line and tested. So far so good.

Thank you all for the help.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote