Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2022, 05:37 AM   #1

Fire Tv

2022 Seneca, how to get cable tv at campground on fire tv or the others sets?
blubeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:22 AM   #2

Any TV, fire or not, will require a cable connection from the campground.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:56 AM   #3

Ref Fire Tv

I have the cable connected to Rv
Old 07-22-2022, 07:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubeard View Post
Ok, had to start with the basics lol. Near your main TV, this is how ours works, maybe in a cabinet overhead, there should be a wall plate with coax TV/Satellite connections, and a push button that turns on a green light. That is a signal booster for Wi-Fi. Green light should be off. Needless to say, the coax should be connected to the cable input. Now go to the settings on your TV and search for how you want to connect. Choose cable and then have it do an automatic search for channels. Once its finished, you are done and ready to enjoy. If watching TV using Wi-Fi, the green light needs to be on, and you will have to do the TV settings routine again, except this time you will select over the air or whatever your TV calls regular TV.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #5

Some campgrounds that say they have cable have poorly maintained connections.. Check with the campground.. So far we have found very poor service in what was supposed to be cable tv supplied in about half of the campgrounds it was promised. That isn t a big sample.. about five out of ten campgrounds because usually there is no TV cable or over the air where we go.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #6

My understanding of that button with the light is the signal booster for the rooftop antenna, not wi-fi. I could be wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Ok, had to start with the basics lol. Near your main TV, this is how ours works, maybe in a cabinet overhead, there should be a wall plate with coax TV/Satellite connections, and a push button that turns on a green light. That is a signal booster for Wi-Fi. Green light should be off. Needless to say, the coax should be connected to the cable input. Now go to the settings on your TV and search for how you want to connect. Choose cable and then have it do an automatic search for channels. Once its finished, you are done and ready to enjoy. If watching TV using Wi-Fi, the green light needs to be on, and you will have to do the TV settings routine again, except this time you will select over the air or whatever your TV calls regular TV.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:

Fire TV on the other sets?
Those other sets need to have "Amazon Fire TV" built in, or you buy FireSticks for them.

Cable TV - if you connect cable direct to the TV, you can avoid a lot of potential problems and narrow down your debugging. I.e., booster won't matter. Connect cable direct, go to TV setup. Channels. Pick "Cable" in the "Air/Cable" menu item, then pick "Scan".

If this works, then you can change the cable from inside to the outside, mess w/ the booster, etc.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankstone View Post
My understanding of that button with the light is the signal booster for the rooftop antenna, not wi-fi. I could be wrong...
I believe you are correct.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankstone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
I believe you are correct.

yes, it is, and that is what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I actually used the "booster" word which is wrong. The point remains though, that the button with the light, ie, signal amplifier, is on when watching over the air TV and the green light on. The signal amplifier, however, amplifies whatever signal it receives, so it would improve a weak Wi-Fi signal as well. If not, we wouldn't be doing all the Wi-Fi connecting via Winegard. The company will be quick to tell you it is not a booster, but that the location on the roof and whatever fancy antenna they have inside the dome is what makes the signal stronger. In a 5-minute conversation with them, I was told at least twice that it was not a signal booster, lol.

BTW- our camper sits just outside WIFI range near our shop at home. A laptop or phone will not connect, however, once the home network is connected to Winegard, I have great reception, as well as monitoring the camper from home.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Fire TV on the other sets?
Those other sets need to have "Amazon Fire TV" built in, or you buy FireSticks for them.

Cable TV - if you connect cable direct to the TV, you can avoid a lot of potential problems and narrow down your debugging. I.e., booster won't matter. Connect cable direct, go to TV setup. Channels. Pick "Cable" in the "Air/Cable" menu item, then pick "Scan".

If this works, then you can change the cable from inside to the outside, mess w/ the booster, etc.
I believe he is trying to learn how to get his cable to work, and he has both types of TV's. If his camper is connected from factory as it should, he will accomplish what you mention here very quickly. Until he comes back, we don't know if he has a problem, or just learning about his new camper. The fire sticks are only for streaming anyway, and he wants to get his cable connection working. Unless I am mistaken, he made a general statement about how to get cable working on his TV's, and the Fire Sticks/TV are obfuscating the issue, lol.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #11

Ref Fire Tv

Still no cable, have tried solutions from comments. Tks
Old 07-22-2022, 02:47 PM   #12

I just stream everything we've been lucky and had some pretty decent Wi-Fi recently at camps and I have a hotspot Verizon it's a little spotty sometimes with live TV but Netflix and YouTube and things like that work just fine I tried to hook up DirecTV but it was all standard def and I figured it wasn't worth the trouble
Also check out Superbox it's pretty expensive but it's a one-time fee and you get everything all premium channels live sports everything completely legit
Cornpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:42 PM   #13
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Any TV, fire or not, will require a cable connection from the campground.
If I’m not mistaken FireTV much like some of the others that stream needs Wi-Fi but there is no need for cable or satellite.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:47 PM   #14

I probably sound like a broken record, but in yet another thread I will point out that up in the plate with the switch, on the backside there are 3 connectors. One for antenna, one for cable, and one for secondary TV. On mine the cable and second TV were switched. All three cables had connectors that were marginal at best, with center wire way back in the connector. Might have worked, might not. Up on the roof the wire inside the antenna had a connector that was definitely not on far enough to work at all.

Someone else pointed out very recently that they found the cable connection on the outside did not have its cable connected inside, just laying there.

So, you have to assume the worst and do basic troubleshooting. I made a tester from a 9-volt battery, a 9-volt battery terminal, and a short piece of cable. Connect that on one end, see if there is 9 volts where there should be.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:31 PM   #15

Yup

Fire TV or Roku imply WiFi needed for TV

If your looking for cable from provided campground. Green light off, do a search in the TV menu for channels

Has your Antenna TV channels worked before?

Or this is all new to you???
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
If I’m not mistaken FireTV much like some of the others that stream needs Wi-Fi but there is no need for cable or satellite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Yup

Fire TV or Roku imply WiFi needed for TV

If your looking for cable from provided campground. Green light off, do a search in the TV menu for channels

Has your Antenna TV channels worked before?

Or this is all new to you???

Yes, you are both correct. i misspoke again, and meant that he would need a cable connection from the campground to watch cable tv, fire TV or plain TV
Old 07-23-2022, 07:00 AM   #17

It is a signal booster for the antenna. I think the "wi-fi" comment was a typo.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:23 PM   #18

Quote:
On my 2022 Accolade, the connection in the wet bay for cable was swapped (unfortunately by the factory) with the satellite dish coaxial connection. Try to connect the cable from the campground to the other coax input in the wet bay.

2022 Entegra Accolade 37K
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
GibbysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Still no cable, have tried solutions from comments. Tks

Apologies for the miss on the FireSticks.

"No cable" is a very common issue in all RVs. Again, you've got to eliminate most of the variables. You take the RG-6 Cable TV Cable from the pedestal and you plug it into the "Antenna" jack on the TV.

If your TV doesn't have that - then you've got other issues.

A direct connection eliminates the chance of a dead or disconnected wire in the walls.

Direct from pedestal to the TV.
On the TV, it's some form of Setup, Channel Scan, Cable (not Air) and scan.

If you do that and still get No Cable channels - then:
- the campground cable TV feed is borked
- the Cable TV cable is borked
- the TV is borked (some TVs lack the right tuners to decode cable signals)
Old 07-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #20

I have not seen this answer to the problem and wanted to toss it out to the universe.

The physical connection of any cable is not needed or used (unless for internet) specifically for FireTV, RokU, Chromecast etc. etc. to work. These require Internet as they "stream" the service/channels.

The TV will function as a "normal" TV (whatever that means these days) and can/should have the coax cable connected to it from the antenna. It will also need to be connected to the outside cable/sat port on the pedestal as others have mentioned. Or connected to a portable sat dish.

Of course, these days there are many ways to skin a cat or get TV sooo... Introduce streaming.

For the streaming technologies to work, and for you to get "cable" TV channels on them you would need a service like YouTube TV or Philo, or Hulu, Sling, Amazon Prime (FireTV) and Netflix along with others. These will get you the TV/Cable channels. But to do so requires internet either via WiFi or RJ45 (hard connect via network cable, not coax). Also usually some sort of subscription. Tubi is free and will have a lot of old/older shows and movies.

Hope this helps.