Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #1

First trip “bugs” identified

Took the new 2021 37L to Kentucky to stress test and ID fixes that need done before travel baseball season. Here’s the list so far. I’d love to know who else has had these issues and also fixes/repairs for if/when the dealer doesn’t address properly:

1. Fridge pulled away from the 4 small screws above holding it in place and was leaning across the aisle down the Highway. Seems like it needs shimmed below and better stabilized above.
2. Storage bays are soaking wet after driving in the rain. Worse in the front two passenger side. Is this normal? The carpet is soaked.
3. Mud flaps super loose. I’ve seen this on the board a few times and will look up others’ fixes.
4. Battery door just below/behind driver released several times. Luckily the latch is secured to the drawer so the door stayed closed only allowing it to jut out a few inches. I secured the pins well wedging a wrench in there to get a solid close but the vibration of driving must free the two pins that are supposed to secure it.
5. Cabin door at the top is clearly pulled away from the main house. Rattles the entire time and at times sounds like the door is wide open.

That’s it for the first weekend. Expected some things and glad to have the warranty to hopefully resolved all/some of that list by I suspect a few will be better taken care of on my own.

Appreciate any help/tips in advance.
jeffgladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #2

Door is a pretty easy fix. We locked the deadbolt and cured the rattle
Haven’t had any of the other issues.
AlvaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:12 PM   #3

My 2021 floorplan 37L received last November has two of your exact problems as well.

1. The battery slide-out tray pops out even though fully latched, forcing the compartment door out a few inches. I’ve found that cutting a piece of wood and wedging it in the closed tray will help with this.

2. The cabin door rattles and pulls away AT THE TOP when underway, even though dead-bolted and locked. You can clearly see light though it as it flexes outward. Its as if the entire door is too thin and flexes. Perfect seal when parked, but when underway.... damn.

Other than that, my first few-months problems have been few:

- Converter at the bed fuse box blew a capacitor, so that shore power would no longer go to the 12v systems (including the fridge) which wore the batteries down every night. Generator wouldn’t even power the batteries back up. Had to start the engine occassionally to charge even though 50amp shore power plugged in. Replaced entire converter, all now is well. Mailing the failed converter back to Progressive Dynamics for repair/replacement, then will keep as a spare.

- Drivers side rear fender flare lost its screws and was flexing outward on highway. Two new screws, fixed.

- One leaky left rear hydraulic jack. Topped off the hydro fluid tank underneath and its still working well until I can get it fixed. Appears to leak thru the seal ring.

- Front cab door latches were sticky, leaving interior cab lights permanently on even when driving or parked. Some lube spray in the door latch mechanism seemed to fix it.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:32 AM   #4

Below is the list from my first two trips with my 37L:

1. Baggage doors leaked, easy fix to adjust the latches.
2. Top of door rattled like crazy. Dealer adjusted and it was fine for a while, but now rattles again.
3. Hot water tank wouldn’t work on electric. Dealer found a loose ground wire.
4. Trim around the door came loose. Dealer reattached and put silicone around the leading edge
5. Rear lights (running, brake, turn signal) wouldn’t work. Dealer found loose grounds.
6. Drawer under cooktop came flying out and broke drawer glides. (Part is on order). I also added drawer locks to prevent in future.
7. Sony radio system would freeze while on Apple Play. New head unit on order.
8. Metal in wet bay was rusting. Dealer sanded and repainted.
9. Valance in rear window came 1/2 way off. Dealer reattached.
dopplemeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:31 AM   #5

[QUOTE=dopplemeyr;961668]Below is the list from my first two trips with my 37L:

1. Baggage doors leaked, easy fix to adjust the latches.

Genius @dopplemeyr! I kept wondering how the heck water came from below the storage bays since everything seems sealed well. Now I remember them telling me at the dealer they loosened them to make it easier to close. I don't see the Face Palm emoji here, but it's the perfect place for one.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #6

The only issue on your list that I had was the passenger side mud flap.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #7

So my unit was built between Christmas 2020 and end of January.....most of this list was from my PDI inspection prior to pickup....our first trip is this weekend.....

Cab leaks and there is water under rubber floor
Macerator pump worked once while dealer was showing its operation
Broken 3rd brake light mount
2 stripped screws on lower tail lights
Missing weather stripping on drivers lower door sill
Missing screws from passenger side kick and sill plate
Can’t lock dead bolt on rv door
RV door would not open when coach was on leveling jacks
Broken drawer slide on pantry
2 drawers that were off the track from factory
18k in Paint issues, graphics not aligned, scratches, orange peel, missing clear coat on front cap
Forward mud flaps rubbing on tires
Backup camera flickers
All basement door locks hard to insert key
1 screw on ladder broken
Leak from shower drain
Leak from corner of shower door
Missing kitchen sink stopper
Trim in passenger side bunk area missing
Furnace resonates
Broken dining room light switch
Broken bedroom ceiling vent
Toilet was turned parallel to wall, couldn’t use without leaning against wall
Initially nothing propane powered worked, faulty regulator

Ugh, it’s been an adventure for sure.....hopefully it gets better soon...
Old 05-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #8

What kind of drawer locks have you installed? Do they prevent drawers from opening while traveling?
lawingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawingnutz View Post
What kind of drawer locks have you installed? Do they prevent drawers from opening while traveling?
I used these. So far, so good. Note, these are the 10lb force to open

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #10

RV Designer H219, Bulldog Cabinet Catch, Antique Finish, 2 Per Pack, Cabinet Hardware https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRCEI8...HMK1B2HAS15JAW

I got these coming..and order the ones you used...will see which ones i like best.
lawingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cturrisi View Post
So my unit was built between Christmas 2020 and end of January.....
I wonder if it takes them that long to actually build it. I figured they would go like trailers do and be done in a few days.

Or, perhaps it was Covid related issues due to social distancing, staffing, and supply issues ...

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:01 PM   #12

Keep me posted on how those work. I got lucky with the ones I ordered as they just barely fit on the two big drawers (Those are the culprits anyway). There is very limited clearance for the drawer lock.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I wonder if it takes them that long to actually build it. I figured they would go like trailers do and be done in a few days.

Or, perhaps it was Covid related issues due to social distancing, staffing, and supply issues ...
Mine was built during the same time. They had supplier issues, especially with the paint vendor. I was originally supposed to take delivery Thanksgiving 2020, Took delivery on the 27th of January.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #14

I have 2020 37l. Having issues with slide rubbing on the floor going in and out. Lots of little things here and there that are easy to fix.
seneca323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:26 PM   #15

On the wet compartments, after a lot of looking and trying to track this down on our 2018.5 RB, I finally figured out where it was coming from on mine. When they build tjis section of the compartments, it is framed up with angled steel and then they use spray foam on the steel frame and screw down the plywood panels and then carpet them. There are quite a few areas that have pretty good gaps and Jayco doesn’t use very much spray foam. What happens when driving in the rain is water works it’s way into these gaps and soaks the compartment and if left like this, will soon cause the plywood to rot out. What I did was scrape off the excess foam from the joint, clean all the areas with Xylene and then laid down a heavy bead of Black ProFlex RV sealant and then smeared it into the seam and smoothed it out….wearing a glove of course. I don’t have any good specific pics of the job but here are a couple where you can see it. In the first pic, you can see the crappy foam they use and the second pic you can see where I have cleaned and sealed it with the ProFlex. My compartments are 100% dry even in the worst weather.
Attached Thumbnails
BE271176-5954-4B4B-941A-29F092B00F0D.jpg   6ECA1CF3-7C1F-44AA-B955-1698DCE8A7CB.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #16

Brian,
Did you post the wrong pix? Or am I missing the point? I too have leaking lower storage compartments, and was interested in your fix. I guess I don't really need pictures, but I was a little confused with these pix.
Damian Neeld
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #17

Those are the correct pics of the fix needed. It’s what my dealer identified as well. Only one seam was filled in with foam so the dealer finished the job all the way around both sides.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneeld52 View Post
Brian,
Did you post the wrong pix? Or am I missing the point? I too have leaking lower storage compartments, and was interested in your fix. I guess I don't really need pictures, but I was a little confused with these pix.
Damian Neeld
Correct pics, they are of the bottom cN back side of the front storage area where the plywood is screwed to the metal framework. I sealed every seam I could get to and haven’t had any wet storage compartments since. The same issue can be with the other plastic storage bays where the screw the plastic sides and bottom to the outer frame. On these areas, I use 3” black Eternbond tape around the perimeter and to the bottom of the floor. I used to have very dusty/dirty bay and after being sealed with the tape, they stay clean.
Attached Thumbnails
C372FCA2-1A89-450C-BB4B-4CD7C359AF6A.jpg  

Old 06-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #19

Hi All,

Out on my third trip and more issues keep popping up.

1. I noticed steady drip coming from beneath the wet bay. Turns out the fittings behind the shower were not tightened appropriately. I have now added plumbers putty tape (plastic safe) and silicone caulk to my travel kit. Had to reseal the shower unit after tightening the fittings.
2. Some of my interior lights started flickering and then went dead, along with my HVAC unit. Resetting the power temporarily fixes it. I think I found some loose grounds in the back of the RV that I’ll try to fix tomorrow.
3. I can’t get the cable to work at any RV Park. I tried all the fixes I’ve seen on the thread, but no luck.
4. Like others, my door rattles like crazy going down the road, especially in high winds. The dealer “adjusted” before and it seemed better for the first 100 miles, but back to flapping like crazy.
5. Baggage doors allow a lot of dust in. I’ll have to check out my gaps as Brian posted.
6. Stove top doesn’t work. No gas is getting to it. Normally I cook outside, so I never tried it until tonight. I did find a long hose coiled up and not attached to anything.

All this said, I love the RV. The layout is perfect for the family and driving it is a dream. Now if only they build quality was a little better on the house it would be perfect.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:33 PM   #20

Our first set of compartments behind the cab was the worst for dust. Make sure you stick your head in, look up and back toward the outer wall, ours is an RB. In this pic, they notch out the plastic tub for the slide out recess in the bottom of the wall. There was a crack there that I could stick my finger through and you cN see the dust trail at the top of the opening. This was wide open to what ever dust the front tires kicked up.
Attached Thumbnails
9FE14302-0C0D-4D0F-BCD0-DB543B4D6A47.jpg