Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

Freighliner M 2 for Seneca Brake warning light and buzzer

I have a 2014 Jayco Seneca 36 FK . This is on the Freighliner M 2 . The problem I am trying to fix is below .

The red brake light on the dash and the warning buzzer stated going off while driving and taking a right turn. It comes on for a second or two and the goes off. . Over time it has gotten worse and come on more often even while driving straight. I thought it was just a lose connection somewhere.

There is no help from Freighliner help line because it's a M 2 .

I was wondering if any one else has had this problem.
Enjoying Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #2

Did you check to see if one of your jacks are dropping? That would cause an alarm.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Life View Post

Call JAYCO and ask which dealer they are using in the Middlebury/Elkhart area then call that dealer. My guess is it will be Truck Center in Elkhart.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Life View Post
I have a 2014 Jayco Seneca 36 FK . This is on the Freighliner M 2 . The problem I am trying to fix is below .

The red brake light on the dash and the warning buzzer stated going off while driving and taking a right turn. It comes on for a second or two and the goes off. . Over time it has gotten worse and come on more often even while driving straight. I thought it was just a lose connection somewhere.

I was wondering if any one else has had this problem.
Please give us a follow-up when you get this solved...thanks.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #5

Freightliner will help, just dont talk to the RV division. You need to talk to the standard truck division. I would be super careful driving right now. It is possible that there is an air leak in your park brake system. Your park brake is engaged when the the pressure is released from the park brake line and disengaged when it is pressured up. If that light is coming on, it could be that the pressure switch is detecting a loss of pressure and assuming the brake is engaged, which it very might well do. Check your tank pressures via the gauges, also listen for any air leaking down near the tranny and also if you notice the compressor running more than normal. If all of those seem fine, you could be lucky and just have a bad pressure sensor. In any case, this is a freightliner issue and they should be able to help you.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #6

It could simply be a loose door/door switch. If you open your door after releasing the parking brake, you should get the red light and an alarm. If your door or the switch is a bit loose, it can do the same thing as if the door is wide open. I felt pretty foolish when frieghtliner told me I wasn't getting the door closed all the way, but they did adjust the door so it closes without a hard slam.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmccormick View Post
It could simply be a loose door/door switch. If you open your door after releasing the parking brake, you should get the red light and an alarm. If your door or the switch is a bit loose, it can do the same thing as if the door is wide open. I felt pretty foolish when frieghtliner told me I wasn't getting the door closed all the way, but they did adjust the door so it closes without a hard slam.
This could be true, but when my door is not shut all the way when I put it in gear, I dont get the red brake light like he is saying. I get a warning buzzer and a warning text in the main display that says "Park Brake Not Set" or something along those lines...the red brake indicator light does not come on.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #8

Unfortunately the 2014 units do not have an air pressure gauge. That is because, unlike the newer Senecas, ours have 4-wheel disc hydraulic brakes. The air system is only for the parking brake, rear suspension, and the engine clutch fan.

Since it seems so repeatable, I am leaning towards an electrical connection issue. But it is critical to get it resolved in case it might be an air issue. If it was indeed an air leak, it could cause the parking brake to pop on unexpectedly just like in an air brake equipped Seneca.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #9

Recall on PB

I almost purchased a 2015 Seneca (Twice; long story), so I know there had been a recall on the PB where it would either spontaneously activate or not release. Call your local Freightliner dealer and tell them you have an M2 and provide the VIN to see if you have one with the faulty PB.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #10

I had this problem. Turned out to be a $15 air pressure switch in the dash. Your's definitely sounds electrical.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #11

Thank you for all your help

Again thank you all for your help. I assume that it was a loose wire or pressure switch in the dash.
But I was wrong and I found a very helpful freightliner dealer that I'm embarrassed to say had a very simple fix
The problem was I was low on brake fluid . I had checked it in the past and to me it was OK it's hard to see through the container . I simply added some brake Fluid and the problem went away . Apparently there's a sensor in the holder of the fluid that when I took a turn it would go below the sensor and set off the buzzer and made the red brake light come on. And that's why it would only go off making a left-hand turn and not a right-hand turn
Again thank you all very much.
Enjoying Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #12
Site Team

Why was it low on fluid? Do you have a leak in a line somewhere?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #13

If it was that low you may want to check the brake pads/ shoes. They may need replacing since the level goes down as they wear.