Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #41

Freightliner S2RV chassis slow fuel fill rate

I was wondering how to respond to the first message. Glad you clarified.

I think if you had hit the mode button it would have switched to performance and you would have seen a better response. The numbers are the range numbers. Similar to moving the stick gear shift, by pushing the button you are lowering the range and limiting the available gears. Typically you would use this for driving down hill to keep speed in check.
Funny how the dealers don’t have specific sales people trained on these units so they can be more knowledgeable. I watched a video of the new unit and the person had no idea about the engine size or anything about the new platform just spouted out information on the m2 which this is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #42

Ps did you drive the unit I posted the picture of?

Old 12-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #43

Rvermont,Thanks for trying to clarify but I'm still not sure I understand the plus and minus buttons and how the numbers corospond.Possibly the freightliner owners manual would explain it a little more to someone like myself who is a total new-be to this type of transmission.Again,thankyou ,Marty
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #44

Basically. If you look at your gear selector indicator in your car or truck you have the same thing. Normally p for park. There is no park on this transmission. N for neutral, d for drive and then 3,2,1 or some such numbering. The electronic switch is doing the same thing. When you start the unit up it is in neutral with the brake on. (I hope). You then press d and the unit is now fully operational and all gear ranges are available normally 1-5 or 1-6 depending on the unit. You release the brake and start to drive the transmission will cycle up through the available gears as appropriate for speed. Once you hit the top gear it stops. What happens is if you are in six gear and starting to go down hill the truck will pick up speed as the transmission has no gear reduction in place. However if you hit the down button the top gear will be removed and you will now be in the next lower gear and the engine will slow the vehicle albeit at a high rpm. Lower it again and the engine will speed up and the vehicle will slow down further. The transmission will not allow you to over rate the speed as it is controlled electronically.

This is useful for down grades and can be useful for snow and sandy muddy conditions. By reducing the range to a low number you slow the available speed of the tires this reduction of spin and gets better traction

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #45

RVermont,I drove the sundial paint seneca and yes ,the extra literature you posted helped a lot.I understand how the downshift works now going down hills.Guess it would be the same principles going up hills also,Right? Thankyou!
Old 12-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #46

Going up hills it would not really work as it would hold it in a lower gear and you would never make it over the hill. To go up a hill up I would press the mode button taking it out of economy mode the performance mode would take over. This mode allows the engine speed to ramp up to a full 2500-2600 rpm before upshift occur thus you climb the mountain quicker and don’t feel like the tortoise in the tortoise and the hare story.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #47

RVermont,now you have me wondering if the transmission controll did indeed have the mode button to switch from economy to performance.I know the plus and minus buttons under the mode definately did something and the numbers appeared where the "mode" indicater [above them].I cant for the life of me remember if the mode was also a switch.With so many things going on watching the road and looking at gauges It was a lot to comprehend.You guys on here are the best,thankyou!
Old 12-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #48

Funny how the excitement of driving a 40’ vehicle makes you forget everything going on. I can not remember anything from the first drive.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #49

Personally I would really like having the gear lockout. I like having the ability to control what gear I'm in while climbing and descending. If we had the lockout I don't think I would have bothered with the reprogram to performance mode as ours was great with the exception of climbing. Although I must admit it is much more fun driving now with no noticeable fuel use change.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:17 AM   #50

RVermont
After reading all the replies and reading the instructions you posted it all came together to me.I think I fully understand it with the exception of the numbers on the keypad but yes I will figure it out if I do in fact purchase a new one.I can't thank you enough for your time and patience in helping me,and for that matter all the friendly people here on the site.Merry Christmas to all !
Old 12-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #51

Freightliner S2RV chassis slow fuel fill rate

Happy to help. If you decide to move forward I would recommend you get a quote from the online arm of Albany rv. You will have to come up with a out of state phone number or they will give you a ridiculously high price. The online unit was 35% discount off list. This will give you a basis for your negotiations . Good luck and merry Christmas.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #52

An update to our slow fuel fill issue...yesterday we had our appointment at Freightliner. The 70 gallon fresh water tank is installed above the 100 gallon fuel tank. The water tank rests on the fuel line - crimping it. Freightliner spent the day talking back and forth with Jayco in Indiana. Definitely a complex, high expense, and time consuming solution. It’s a Jayco problem but not one that can be fixed by the RV dealership. We notified Dixie RV. We have a meeting scheduled for Thursday morning. Now as to whether this is a design flaw or just a bad installation-don’t know.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #53

Many of us have experienced sagging water tanks, Jayco repaired mine when it was at the factory service center for other issues. They bridged the frame rails with 1" steel tubing to hold up the compartment floor that the water tank resides in, preventing it from sagging. Other owners have done this fix on their own. It seems the poly water tank is quite "flexible".

However.........None of us have a 100 gallon fuel tank in the way underneath! It wasn't too difficult to access under our units to add the cross supports, but I can imagine what Jayco will have to correct having the big fuel tank in the way. I remember the pictures showing the bare chassis sitting at Jayco!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #54

Isolated case?

It makes you wonder if this is an isolated incident or if many/all on this new Chassis will experience the same issue. You would think that is this happened to them all more people would be googling this subject and chiming in. You would also think they would have taken this aspect into consideration during planning. I don't understand design, but would this not have all played out on a computer prior to construction? Preferably you are back on the road soon; back to enjoying your new Seneca.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #55

I picked up a new 2018 FS tonight. It has the S2RV chassis and I had no issues filling it. One caveat, the fresh water tank has not been filled yet so I'll post back if I have any fueling issues with a full fresh tank.
ralett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralett View Post
I picked up a new 2018 FS tonight. It has the S2RV chassis and I had no issues filling it. One caveat, the fresh water tank has not been filled yet so I'll post back if I have any fueling issues with a full fresh tank.
Welcome to JOF... I am sure lots of folks are interested in your experience.

We love our Seneca... and hope you do yours too!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #57

Yesterday I attended the Cleveland RV Show and was hoping there would be several new Senecas on display. But alas there was only one, the new floorplan 37K.

Being very curious I tried to see how the fuel filler and vent hoses were routed, but it proved difficult to get a complete view not having a flashlight and mirror. It travels through the top of the wet bay, passing under the water tank there. And it definitely appears to be a tight fit. As you can see in the attached photo it certainly seems to be the freshwater tank since it is a white poly tank. I wonder if and how the tank locations might change in a different floorplan that doesn't have 2 toilets. And would that affect the fuel hoses? In my 2014 TS that compartment is where my black tank lives. I wonder if all holding tanks are "rearranged" in the S2RV units?

I also looked at the batteries, it appears all 6 are in the slideout tray. Also hard to get a good look, I was on the "wrong" side of the display and did not slide the battery tray out. But in my picture the left rear battery appears to have a handle and no fill caps, whereas the 3 close batteries are different. Maybe the left rear is one of the chassis batteries? Also as you can see it is obviously a larger tray than on earlier Senecas, made to hold more batteries than earlier trays.

Additionally I noted that this unit was equipped with a dedicated AM/FM radio antenna, unlike the dual-purpose antenna mine has. No mirror-mount CB antenna anymore apparently. Many have indicated the old setup did not work well as a CB antenna anyway!

My wife was getting impatient so I could not dig deeper. And I was half anticipating someone to tell me to get back into the display area and out from in between the units!
Attached Thumbnails
S2RV fuel piping routing.jpg   S2RV batteries.jpg   AM-FM antenna.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:39 AM   #58

Different floor plans

Ralett, congratulations on the new Seneca! Rob, you could be on to something as Ralett has an FS with only one toilet. In the past, different floor plans had actually been done on different truck lengths (FK I thought I remember had a shorter wheelbase than something like a TS) and therefore could change, to some small point, the placement of some RV components in relation to some Freightliner components.

I just met a Jayco rep at the Raleigh RV show and he must have had some major involvement with the Seneca because he knew them better than the other vehicles they sell. He did not report complaints when I asked him about this issue.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #59

Just looked at a 2018k. This is the fill line in the wet bay. You can see a noticeable kink in the tube. This is before the fill line goes under the black/grey tank no telling if it is further restricted. Seems like a simple fix but not one that a new owner should have to deal with.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:40 PM   #60

Our thoughts exactly. A picture is indeed worth a thousand words. Thanks! That’s what we’re kinda “seeing”. As for our Seneca 37K, all warranty work is approved, parts ordered and delivered, and our appointment is set for Monday afternoon with Dixie RV. Moving along at a snail’s pace but still on target of meeting our drop dead date of March 1st. Keeping our fingers crossed!