Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2022, 09:17 AM   #1

Front AC not working

We have a 22 37L and while setting up at location we noticed that the Living room A/C is not working. It makes a slight clicking noise but will not turn on. The rear bedroom A/C is working. I checked the breakers in panel and seemed fine. I reset them anyway but still not working. Looking for some suggestion on things to check. i also tried both generator and shore power. I feel like I must have another fuse or breaker someplace that is for this particular A/C. Everything else is working properly in RV
nGONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 03:20 PM   #2

There are several places to start, does the unit work in any of the settings? ie fan, fan high, cool, heat and even heat with furnace. If the furnace runs that can help rule out the thermostat as the cause. if not then the thermostat would be the place to start. There are two legs of power in the coach one of the 50 amp legs supplies the rear ac and the other leg supplies the front. Are there items near the circuit breaker for the front unit still on and working? if so that leg is probably okay. Since you are hearing a click it sounds like the capacitor might have failed. if the fan doesn't even start on fan mode then that capacitor has failed or is not getting a signal to start.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #3

Thanks. It appears to me that the only thing that doesn't work is the front A/C. I will try to figure out what other things are supplied off that leg on 50amp to make sure. Furthermore, to your point the t-stat does not turn on anything (the fan, cool, auto, heat) for this particular unit. I am using Vega touch both on wall and my phone with no luck. I will try the furnace. I had only tried the heat pump. I certainly need to look into the capacitor issue. That may be covered under warranty repair.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:51 PM   #4

I have I think the exact same issue. We had no choice but to accept as is since we traveled to pick up and they didnt have the parts to repair it (they didnt know what was wrong though).

Things I found online that were common was a bad crimp connection to one of the wires at the control board or capacitor. The nice thing, you have a second working AC to swap parts if needed.

My 2022 37TS is parked not at home for now, or I would be out there troubleshooting on my own.

Positive note, the control board and capacitor are both cheaper than the 1h troubleshooting labor rate a dealer would charge you.
Dallas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:52 PM   #5

Could also be a loose connection at the control box.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:43 PM   #6

From a Seneca owner who has had three (Yea - 3 ) AC units replaced on our Seneca since taking ownership... Our last experience with CW soiled every expectation in getting it resolved.

I finally reached out to AirXcell and they put us in contact with a factory representative who helped us out A LOT!

The unit in our 2015 is a 15k in the front and back that were replaced under the CW warranty when we took ownership... Our front unit failed in May, and we suffered the entire summer while waiting for CW to get a replacement unit shipped (many months) ...

Only to find out that If we contacted AirXcell , they have a longer warranty than Jayco or CW... and would have told CW to install an "in-stock" unit that day... instead of 2- months later.

Needless to say... have we been back to the CW in Draper? NO! but our AC is still working today!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:49 PM   #7

Grumpy makes a good point. I had both units replaced last year and they both worked when I picked the unit up. when I got home the front unit stopped working but furnace would work. I pulled the plenum open and opened the control board box. I found a loose black 110 wire, replaced the wire nut and all was well. Then when I went to try the heat pump I only got cold air. I opened the roof box and found a wire fell off a crimp connection on the reversing valve. so two loose or failed wires on one unit.

I don't have any experience with the units that use the tablet so can not offer any help with that part. I would start by removing the plenum cover to access the control board. use a proximity tester to see if you have 110 on the Romex cable. Then if that is good open the roof cover and check the capacitors and wiring up there. It sounds like it might be the fan run capacitor or wiring. just grab the ones from the other unit and test it out. Be sure to discharge the capacitor to avoid a shock.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #8

It was in fact a 'loose' wire. I simply pinched the connection terminal tighter with small pliers and plugged it back in. Took way longer to find the problem than it did too actually fix it! thanks.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nGONZO View Post
It was in fact a 'loose' wire. I simply pinched the connection terminal tighter with small pliers and plugged it back in. Took way longer to find the problem than it did too actually fix it! thanks.
Awesome to hear and gives me hope mine is just as easy of a fix. Was yours a wire at the control board? Accessed from below or above?
Dallas J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c seneca