Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2023, 08:36 PM   #1

Generator oil fill

2018 M2 FS. How is everyone filling the Onan generator? I currently am using a funnel with some clear tubing. Such an awkward space with the door and the wall.
BIGPAPA1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:07 PM   #2

I used a small funnel and always made a mess. Worked better with this syringe. The trick is to suck in the correct amount into the syringe to avoid overflows.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPAPA1970 View Post
2018 M2 FS. How is everyone filling the Onan generator? I currently am using a funnel with some clear tubing. Such an awkward space with the door and the wall.
I use the same technique... I use a nylon wire tie to attach the funnel to a leg of a ladder to hold the funnel in place above the fill hole on the gen. Leave some slack in the hose so you can pull it out and put the end in a dixie cup while you check the level. I also suggest that you heat up the oil in the container so that it flows faster, I usually service mine in the early spring, and the days are still too cold for oil to flow.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:58 AM   #4

I am sure I over kill things, but I just pull the four bolts on the bottom of the Genny and slide it part way out. Much easier access for service. When done, I slide it back in and put the four bolts back in place.
I love my Seneca, but I really wish the would put the Genny on a drawer like they do in the front of the Class A's.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpietsch View Post
I am sure I over kill things, but I just pull the four bolts on the bottom of the Genny and slide it part way out. Much easier access for service. When done, I slide it back in and put the four bolts back in place.
I love my Seneca, but I really wish the would put the Genny on a drawer like they do in the front of the Class A's.
I'd like to see pictures of how that works...

Old 03-27-2023, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I looked, no pictures from last time. You will have to wait about 50 more hours of use before I service it again. I will try and remember to take pics and post them.
But basically, undo the four bolts, and I slide it out a little then rotate it so the fill spouts are out in the open. It really is the only way to check the coolant.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:57 PM   #7

I recently had the privilege of having my generator fail due to corrosion and I pulled the unit out my self rather than take the rig to Cummins. Once you remove the bolts, (two snapped off) the unit actually slides fairly easily for weighing 450 lbs. But not sure I would take the bolts off to get to the oil fill. The bolts are put in from the bottom and thread into the aluminum base. I had the tech at Cummins drill out the base and am going to use through bolts to secure it.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I recently had the privilege of having my generator fail due to corrosion and I pulled the unit out my self rather than take the rig to Cummins. Once you remove the bolts, (two snapped off) the unit actually slides fairly easily for weighing 450 lbs. But not sure I would take the bolts off to get to the oil fill. The bolts are put in from the bottom and thread into the aluminum base. I had the tech at Cummins drill out the base and am going to use through bolts to secure it.
We had ours removed at Cummins for the 1000-hour service. They have to remove the unit and all work is done on their bench equipment. They have specialized equipment to remove / replace our gen in the storage bay. I saw how it looked in the empty bay of our Seneca while it was in the service area and there are connectors, cables, wires on both sides of the unit. Fuel, Battery and bonding on the right side... Control cables, output cables in a flexible conduit on the left side with pretty short cables to get hooked up. I would be concerned with tugging any of these cables/hoses/wires if I was moving the unit around.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:56 AM   #9

So service fill isn’t really a problem, I just take the green cover off the front and unbolt the fill tube and coolant tank, swing them out and easy fill. My question really is when just topping off between oil changes. The syringe seems like a better option than the funnel tube.
BIGPAPA1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back with you on this, but here is the video of me servicing the Genny where I slide it out to fill.

https://youtu.be/V4qhp343ld4
Old 03-23-2024, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeach View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back with you on this, but here is the video of me servicing the Genny where I slide it out to fill.

https://youtu.be/V4qhp343ld4
Thanks Bob. Do you think you can safely slide the gen out far enough to replace the coolant thermostat?

Also, don't forget to clean the spark arrestor. I clean mine every time I change the oil so I don't have to keep track of it as a separate item.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 03:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Thanks Bob. Do you think you can safely slide the gen out far enough to replace the coolant thermostat?

Also, don't forget to clean the spark arrestor. I clean mine every time I change the oil so I don't have to keep track of it as a separate item.
If you are going to be tearing into it enough for the thermostat, you might want to build a little wood platform to slide it on. I only slide it out enough to fill and check the fluids.