Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #1

Getting Older

Hi all. My wife and I just returned from a 6-day trip from southern Oregon to Utah, about 800 miles each way, in our 2018.5 Seneca. I do all the driving and we took two days travel each way. As usual for this time of the year, there was a fair amount of road construction and one accident on I84 that set us back about 90 minutes in stop and go traffic. I just turned 71 and my wife is 70, and we are both in good physical condition. However, this trip seemed to be more tiring than usual, probably because we can't figure out a way to stop aging. I'm sure that helping our daughter and her husband move into a new apartment on the 3rd floor didn't help either.

I remember a thread a year or two ago where people shared how many miles a day they usually drove. I'm looking for ideas about making our trips less tiring and stressful, and overall a little more enjoyable. On our trip home we actually discussed the idea of downsizing our motorhome and if that might make travel a little easier. In the end we both agreed we would like to just stay with the Seneca. We also discussed staying with a Super C but upgrading to a new one. Would we gain anything except a significantly lighter wallet?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Ed
EdwardOrmsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardOrmsbee View Post
Hi all. My wife and I just returned from a 6-day trip from southern Oregon to Utah, about 800 miles each way, in our 2018.5 Seneca. I do all the driving and we took two days travel each way. As usual for this time of the year, there was a fair amount of road construction and one accident on I84 that set us back about 90 minutes in stop and go traffic. I just turned 71 and my wife is 70, and we are both in good physical condition. However, this trip seemed to be more tiring than usual, probably because we can't figure out a way to stop aging. I'm sure that helping our daughter and her husband move into a new apartment on the 3rd floor didn't help either.

I remember a thread a year or two ago where people shared how many miles a day they usually drove. I'm looking for ideas about making our trips less tiring and stressful, and overall a little more enjoyable. On our trip home we actually discussed the idea of downsizing our motorhome and if that might make travel a little easier. In the end we both agreed we would like to just stay with the Seneca. We also discussed staying with a Super C but upgrading to a new one. Would we gain anything except a significantly lighter wallet?

We're about the same ages, I don't drive anymore than 350-400 mi. in a day or until I get tired, whichever comes first. We're done traveling in 100° heat however and if I'm going to sit in the MH all day I'd as soon be home. Just my two cents, I think those Seneca's are perfect for we seniors, wish I had one myself. If you've resolved the minor issues I'd hang onto it. Better the devil I know.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:01 PM   #3

I just turned 60 and the DW is still 59. We try to keep it to 250 to 300 miles in a day. Unless we are really trying to get some where I will drive up to 450 sleep in a Walmart and move on. But if we aren't in a hurry we keep it under 300. Hell a few times we did under 100 miles a day
It is about enjoying the trip. We stop at historical markers, farmers markets, etc.
Each time we have done the Alaskan Hwy we keep it around 200 a day.

i.e. stop and smell the roses :- )
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpietsch View Post
I just turned 60 and the DW is still 59. We try to keep it to 250 to 300 miles in a day. Unless we are really trying to get some where I will drive up to 450 sleep in a Walmart and move on. But if we aren't in a hurry we keep it under 300. Hell a few times we did under 100 miles a day
It is about enjoying the trip. We stop at historical markers, farmers markets, etc.
Each time we have done the Alaskan Hwy we keep it around 200 a day.

i.e. stop and smell the roses :- )
Great advice and well taken. Everyone has their comfort limits.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #5

I turn 70 today and DW turns 70 in three days. We both have been retired for a few years now. One thing we started a couple of years ago is we don’t travel more than 4 hours a day or as close as we can get to that time. We travel for pleasure so traveling 7 or 8 hours a day just “ ain’t no fun “. I find that having shorter traveling days my stress level is low , we make much better dinners , and I have time to enjoy a couple ( or maybe three ) adult beverages before I go to bed. We also don’t have to start our day out in a hurry to get someplace. I guess just slowing things down has made traveling a lot more enjoyable for us.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #6

Well I’ll you kid’s that my driving starts at around 9:00AM & I like to pull in around 3:00. That puts me at about 350 miles for the day. Then take “Tunce” for a long walk of about 2-3 miles then we’ll have a meal, enjoy the sunset, read a bit and lights out.
Oh, BTW I’ve been around the sun 77 times and counting
Old 09-14-2022, 04:44 PM   #7

My crazy as heck dad just did 2,340 miles from Detroit to San Diego in 3 days at 67 years old. While pulling my hydroplane.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:34 PM   #8

I do all the driving, however my wife makes all the reservations and does the trip planning.

For years I told her "every hour of driving equals one night of camping.” This year, the rule has changed to every half hour of driving.

It might change again soon. I’m usually ready for a cat nap once I reach the end of my street.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:03 PM   #9

I am 61 and my wife is 9 years my junior. I do all the driving which we keep to 350 miles or below. I am winding down my second career now and plan to fully retire in 3 or 4 years.

I had a work related accident in 2009 where I broke my back and my hips so driving much more than the 350 miles causes multiple problems for me. I plan our trips so on arrival day at our destination we drive only 3 or 4 hours so I am not shot that whole day.

My plan is to continue the RV lifestyle well into my senior years or as long as I am physically and mentally able.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:31 PM   #10
CAG

We don't make that many long trips any longer but do make a 5 hour to our summer parking location. When we did make those long trips, even with just the car and not the RV we trade off driving. We are both 77 pretty active, with a trip to the gym every morning and high altitude hike when at the summer location but long trips can be very tiring.

What I think that many RVers fail to do is share the driving. That has two purposes, allow the spouse to learn the vehicle and a break for both.

My wife is a ranch/farm girl so combines, tractors, horse trailers, and other large vehicles are not something she fears but if you are not sharing the chores you should be. What if something happens and she is forced to drive?

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
We don't make that many long trips any longer but do make a 5 hour to our summer parking location. When we did make those long trips, even with just the car and not the RV we trade off driving. We are both 77 pretty active, with a trip to the gym every morning and high altitude hike when at the summer location but long trips can be very tiring.

What I think that many RVers fail to do is share the driving. That has two purposes, allow the spouse to learn the vehicle and a break for both.

My wife is a ranch/farm girl so combines, tractors, horse trailers, and other large vehicles are not something she fears but if you are not sharing the chores you should be. What if something happens and she is forced to drive?

I agree with you however we have tried having my wife pull our trailer and in all seriousness it did not end well amd for the good and well being of everyone it's best that she not drive. I mean no disrespect to anyone but she simply can not do it safely.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:02 PM   #12
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
[/B]

I agree with you however we have tried having my wife pull our trailer and in all seriousness it did not end well amd for the good and well being of everyone it's best that she not drive. I mean no disrespect to anyone but she simply can not do it safely.

I have seen more than my share of husbands who should not be driving.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I have seen more than my share of husbands who should not be driving.
Isn't that the truth!

We always did about 350 a day, even when the kids were little. I always set the cruise on 62-65 and 7 hours was about it with stops. We always planned the trips out and had reservations all along the route. When we would do Caravan trips many days were set up with some stops only 200 miles apart. That was especially so when we were up East or in Canada since the sights were in abundance.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:20 PM   #14

My wife and I are both 75. Most of our travel is open-ended, and slow. In general, I try not to travel more than 3 hours in a day, although sometimes that limitation is impossible for one reason or another. We also try to stay in one place for more than a day, at least every other day. The reality is that almost every place has some unique and interesting stuff to do and see. We've been coast-to-coast 7 times, and each trip was a minimum of 3 months. Heading east from California next week. How far? We don't know. Two things will determine that: 1) are we having fun? and 2) How's the weather.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:28 AM   #15

Our daughter might be moving to Alaska and driving the Alaskan Highway scares the heck out of me!
EdwardOrmsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Our daughter might be moving to Alaska and driving the Alaskan Highway scares the heck out of me!
You don’t say what your hauling but it’s a good idea to carry an extra tire
Old 09-16-2022, 11:47 AM   #17

In our younger days, we could make it from Cincinnati, Ohio to Long Beach, California in 2 days - 1st pulling a tag and then a 5ver. With DW helping drive, that would be the only way we could have made it. At the time, we were both still working and only had 2 weeks of vacation. DW wanted to see her family & have them meet our kids.

Alot depends on where we are going. We try to travel no more than 6 hours, which includes fueling and stopping for those necessary breaks. DW looks at the route we take and makes the reservations.

Definitely recommend that DW learns to drive or have the insurance to cover getting the family and RV back home. My DBIL lost use of his one arm when he was 18. He did all the driving of their 5ver. Something happened and he couldn't drive for a while so their vacation plans were cancelled. We drove to West Virginia so I could teach my sister. And I wasn't kind either. Instead of stopping in a parking lot so she could practice (which she didn't want to do), I stopped in a left turn lane and got into the back seat. Told her we were staying there until she took over. Then we went into the parking lot so she could practice. Now she does 90% of the driving.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Don't let it scare you. It is a decent drive now. plenty of fuel and campgrounds. Yes there are some stretches without cell but every town has cell and wifi.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:30 PM   #19

Quote:

The DW and I are 58, and I do all of the driving. We recently drove just the truck about 900 miles in two days, about 450 each day. While we were not pulling, it's exhausting driving that many hours in a day, let alone pulling, or handling a class C, or motorhome.

When we bought our 37MDQS, we had to drive about a 1200 miles to get it, and bring it back. On the way back, we did about 400 miles a day, and I was tired at the ends of those days for sure.

But one thing that I would recommend for traveling is Google Maps, and letting it give you directions. It would have tried to route you around the 90 minute pile-up, IF IT CAN. On our way 900 mile trip, it routed us around a road construction area that saved us about an hour. Of course, you have to police that a little bit, and make sure that it's not going to take you down a dirt road when you're pulling a 42' rig, but we've used it a lot, and it has definitely saved us time on long trips...

YMMV...

ON EDIT: I forgot to mention that if you have a vehicle that does Android Auto or Apple Car Play, that makes it even handier, because it's on the main car screen then, and you don't have to look at your phone for information...
Old 09-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Bauernfeind
74 and still traveling

Quote:

I'm 74 and now a widower, but now as before I like to keep my travels to 300 miles or less, 65mph or less and I always stay two nights as I travel. That one day of rest is amazing energy booster.
Bauernfeind is offline   Reply With Quote