Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2019, 05:01 AM   #1

Go Power Solar System for my Seneca

I am looking to add solar to my 2019 Seneca 37RB. My coach is an energy pig, with a residential refrigerator that consumes over 60% of our power needs. I have already added 4, 12 volt 100 amph lithium batteries.

After looking, reading and researching several companies, I have decided on going with either Go Power AE-4 (960 watts) or AE-6 (1140 watts) system. The system coms with the MPPT, but no inverter. My Seneca has a 2000 watt inverter, a separate switch and charger. I am looking at upgrading to an all in one 3000 watt inverter, charger and switch unit, most likely the Go Power IC Series 3000.

Using a kill a watt meter, I have concluded that either system will keep my coach going, and not have to use any external power sources to charge my batteries.

I am looking for any feedback from other solar uses, on how big are your systems, Watts, number of panels you are using or have mounted on the roof your Seneca, number of batteries you are using and your opinion on GoPower.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:08 AM   #2

There is lots of info here:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/g...ith+solar.html
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #3

We have 560 watts and 4 Trojan T-105 batteries - we just installed a Samsung residential fridge which uses a max of 3 amps - my Kill-a-Watt has never shown more than 162 watts ( i think that the Jayco unit uses much more power - check the sticker in fridge ) we can survive with some generator use ( still learning how much ) I would like to add a minimum of 300 watts of solar & 2 more batteries but will wait on the batteries until we change to lithium

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
We have 560 watts and 4 Trojan T-105 batteries - we just installed a Samsung residential fridge which uses a max of 3 amps - my Kill-a-Watt has never shown more than 162 watts ( i think that the Jayco unit uses much more power - check the sticker in fridge ) we can survive with some generator use ( still learning how much ) I would like to add a minimum of 300 watts of solar & 2 more batteries but will wait on the batteries until we change to lithium
That 162 watts that your Kill-a-watt is displaying is 110VAC, normal running, converting that 162 watts to 12VDC = 13.5 DC amps. This number does not include the defrost mode (unless you can disable the defrost mode with the fridge's control panel) but the amps needed for defrost mode (the length of defrost mode differs by fridge mfr) can be as high as 40+ DC amps.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
That 162 watts that your Kill-a-watt is displaying is 110VAC, normal running, converting that 162 watts to 12VDC = 13.5 DC amps. This number does not include the defrost mode (unless you can disable the defrost mode with the fridge's control panel) but the amps needed for defrost mode (the length of defrost mode differs by fridge mfr) can be as high as 40+ DC amps.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Don
Our normal running watts are between 88 & 126 watts and can be as high as 3 amps at 120 volts ( roughly 30 amps of 12 volt ) - the Samsung is very energy efficient which is why we chose it - the defrost mode cannot be disabled ( as per Samsung ) we knew that we would want more solar but removing the microwave from the inverter and replacing it with the fridge will “ force “ us to use the generator - now I won’t have to remember to exercise it Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMigra View Post
your opinion on GoPower.
Overpriced is my only opinion.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Overpriced is my only opinion.
What pconroy said x2

1140Watts of panels will use up a lot of roof real estate, does the Seneca have that much space?

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:51 PM   #8

Here's what we did: I bought a 90W Zamp portable solar unit. It was a little more than $500 a year ago. My hope was that it would help to maintain the charge of the single 12V wet-well coach battery. I did not want to run the generator as often as was necessary to maintain near-full battery level.
And the 90W does it well.
It means deploying the solar panel in the morning, aiming it at the sun during the day, and then packing it up at night. If there's no sun, then there's no solar power.
It takes maybe 2 minutes to deploy.
It was a great addition to our RV arsenal.
Zamp is expensive, and solar units can be purchased for much less. But I endorse it wholeheartedly....
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote