Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2022, 02:47 PM   #1

HELP- Batteries NOT Charging

Last June I bought (4) sealed Duracell RV batteries, and took a few trips, no issues. I put it away in covered storage with a 2-hour per day charge for my batteries. I go to get it this month and they're dead as hell. I jumped the generator (house batteries) with my Ram truck, ran the generator for a few hours, and I thought they would maintain the charge. This week I brought the RV home and plugged it into shore power, and while I heard the big clunk under the bed, the batteries apparently didn't see any power. The inverter keeps beeping to indicate low power and my voltage kept dropping from 12.1 to 11.9. I jumped the shore power batteries to start the generator and Nothing. I've had the generator running for 3 hours today and the batteries are down to 11.2! I've turned everything off, unplugged the inverter comms cord to reset everything and we're still going in the wrong direction. Of course, the batteries are too dead, even with the generator running to extend the bedroom slide, so there's no way to access the transfer switch or any other wiring. I've checked my home wall outlet and the end of the extension power cord, so I know I have 240vac going to the coach, but it's not seeing it. What next?

Damian & Sally Neeld
2018 Seneca HJ
Carmel, IN
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #2

It sounds like you might have two issues, first is your converter is not providing power to the batteries and the other is now the batteries may have been damaged due to multiple complete drains of power.

FIrst item is to trouble shoot the converter. This is located in the bottom half of the power center most likely located in your bedroom. The unit is power via a 120 vac circuit and there should be circuit breaker in the panel. my breaker on my m2 2018 ts is located above the dual 50 amp breaker. make sure that breaker is on. There is a led light that should flash if the unit is getting power. There are also several 12 vdc fuses on the lower right side that should be checked as well.

I believe on the s2 models there might be a circuit breaker in the basement area that supplies power to the converter but I am not 100% sure on that. Rustynuts helped someone recently on their converter issues on a s2rv model so hopefully he will see this and point you in the right direction.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:55 PM   #3

As mentioned, the converter is your source of charging while connected to either shore power or generator. This appears to be where the problem is. Fortunately it is fairly easy to troubleshoot.

Put your voltmeter across your batteries and take a reading. Plug into shore power and see if the reading at the batteries increases. If it doesn't increase at all, which is what appears to be happening, your converter is not putting out.

The converter most likely will be connected to a circuit breaker. Toggle the breaker and check the reading at the batteries. The next check will be to look at your converter. If it is a separate unit and not built into your power center it is much easier to troubleshoot. There may be fuses on it that could be checked.

Your best bet is to see exactly what converter you have whether it is part of the power center or not. Look at the manufacturer's web site for a manual on it and download it. It may have a troubleshooting section that will help in narrowing down the problem.

If by chance your converter is working somewhat, it may not be going into a high charge rate condition. My converter, which is a separate unit, quit going into boost mode which resulted in very long charge times. This was easy for me to see as I have a voltage display I can see all the time and I always know what it is doing. I saw that it quit going into its 14+ volt charge mode so I knew it had failed. Replaced it and all has been well ever since.

Good luck!

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:13 AM   #4

Here are some pictures of what was posted on Facebook for person that had a similar issue with their s2chassis batteries not being charged. One is of a box that contains various switches and circuit breakers. The other outlines which they are. There is one marked b6 that is for the power converter. I don’t have this box in my m2 chassis and these are just mounted on the side wall above my batteries. I believe this person found a couples issues. Loose battery connection and bad ground at the rear of the unit but I thought these photos might help as a possible place to look.
Attached Thumbnails
E3679E40-4FA9-4AD9-98DA-03BD84905A18.jpeg   CDCF7948-4A2F-45A7-8F28-C7DFBB5110D3.jpeg  
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:15 PM   #5

It turned out that it was the Converter that was bad. Thanks

Damian & Sally Neeld
2018 Seneca HJ
Carmel, IN
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote