Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Help - Complete Electrical Failure

I had hoped my first post would be how much fun we were having in our new RV but instead I'm here to ask if anyone has had a complete electrical failure on their Seneca. I did found a couple of threads mostly having to due with bad grounds and poor factory wiring practices. Ours is a 2022 Entegra Accolade 37TS. A week after we picked it up and put it in storage I picked it up and drove it home. Everything worked fine when we went to pick it up then got it home and the power step wasn't working or the power front seats or rear turn signals. Everything else worked for a day or two while we were loading and setting up. I checked the power to every fuse and circuit breaker, all were good no power going to the step or seats and the chassis battery showed 0 volts on he digital display. On day two the generator wouldn't start. The house batteries were at 12.8 volts when I turned off the main power and locked it up the night before but at 10.7 the next morning. I plugged it into my gas powered generator and got the onboard generator running but it would not charge the batteries. Chassis battery showed 0 volts and the house battery showed 10 volts and dropping while the generator was running. With that said the coach starts fine and the lights and front turn signals work fine. Just posting to share my experience and see if anyone has any ideas or has seen this before. Thank you
70gsrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #2

You haven't mentioned if your 120v electrical system works.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
You haven't mentioned if your 120v electrical system works.
The first couple days yes everything worked. Once the steps, seats And blinkers went everything else still worked. Then the last day The firefly (I think it’s called) screen would come on long enough to read the batteries but as soon as I touched it it would go dead. The lights in the coach worked but that is about it. I did not check the 120v outlets as the coach batteries showed 10.7 volts and would not charge even when plugged in. Everything in the cab works except the seats. Could it be the power converter?
Old 12-16-2021, 08:09 PM   #4

I would suspect either the Converter/Charger or the Battery Isolation Manager is causing your issues….seems to be a lot of new Seneca/Accolades having issues with these 2 items. If you are handy and have a multi-meter, there some things to start checking. The first thing I would check is plug the coach into shore power and see if your 120v outlets are getting power. While still plugged into shore power, check the voltage at the batteries or the output lines on the converter to see if it is putting out a charge, you should see around 13.7 volts at these points. If the BIM is bad, this could cause the chassis batteries to be drawn down. Since your step, seats and marker lights are not working, I would lean more to a bad BIM since these items are powered through the BIM. Being you have a residential fridge, our batteries will go down fast if no charge is going into them.
Attached Thumbnails
49A1C4AC-E4A9-449D-9925-2925F735C909.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:10 PM   #5

I may not have mentioned that when the on board generator was running or when I was plugged into my smaller gas generator everything seemed to work fine. Just wouldn’t charge the batteries.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I would suspect either the Converter/Charger or the Battery Isolation Manager is causing your issues….seems to be a lot of new Seneca/Accolades having issues with these 2 items. If you are handy and have a multi-meter, there some things to start checking. The first thing I would check is plug the coach into shore power and see if your 120v outlets are getting power. While still plugged into shore power, check the voltage at the batteries or the output lines on the converter to see if it is putting out a charge, you should see around 13.7 volts at these points. If the BIM is bad, this could cause the chassis batteries to be drawn down. Since your step, seats and marker lights are not working, I would lean more to a bad BIM since these items are powered through the BIM. Being you have a residential fridge, our batteries will go down fast if no charge is going into them.
Awesome. Im handy with most things but have very little experience/ knowledge on the mystery electrical things. But I can follow your directions and have a multi meter gathering dust so I’ll give it a shot. I will share my findings. Thank you
Old 12-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gsrick View Post
Awesome. Im handy with most things but have very little experience/ knowledge on the mystery electrical things. But I can follow your directions and have a multi meter gathering dust so I’ll give it a shot. I will share my findings. Thank you
Here is the troubleshooting guide to see if you charger have of the main panel is bad. I have one for the BIM but it is the older style and you should have the newer style but testing might be the same procedure.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:53 PM   #8

Wow this is great. I’ll get started and on this in the morning. I can’t thank you enough
Old 12-17-2021, 03:19 AM   #9

Shouldn't all this be covered under waranty?
Timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #10

Yes it’s all under warranty as it’s two weeks old but we already have reservations and are trying to get it fixed without waiting to get into the dealership. They said the Mobile tech is limited in what they can do.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes it’s all under warranty as it’s two weeks old but we already have reservations and are trying to get it fixed without waiting to get into the dealership. They said the Mobile tech is limited in what they can do.
Your dealer should have you on priority with a 2 week old coach and any mobile tech worth having should be able to fix this and if their mobile tech can’t they should send one that can. I would be extremely upset.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #12

I agree. I would get somebody who knows what they are doing to fix it and send the dealer the bill!
Timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #13

I agree with that expectation. Called the dealer this morning and expressed that and they said to bring it in and they would look at it today. I guess I was hoping I might be able to do it without taking it in there but at least they took it in.
Old 12-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #14

I had the same type of problems. They replaced the BIM first and after that I was able to charge each set of batteries with the engine but not with the generator. Then, they replaced the converter and finally everything worked.
It was under warranty (2021 37TS) but it took many weeks for General RV to fix it. It was done under warranty.
It's just like what Rustynuts explains.
Check your batteries after it is fixed. I my case, the batteries drained to zero and stayed there for a long time. They would not take a charge after the repair, I got new batteries.
jacquesmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesmm View Post
I had the same type of problems. They replaced the BIM first and after that I was able to charge each set of batteries with the engine but not with the generator. Then, they replaced the converter and finally everything worked.
It was under warranty (2021 37TS) but it took many weeks for General RV to fix it. It was done under warranty.
It's just like what Rustynuts explains.
Check your batteries after it is fixed. I my case, the batteries drained to zero and stayed there for a long time. They would not take a charge after the repair, I got new batteries.
Good to know, thank you for sharing.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:41 PM   #16

They are telling me that it’s the charge side of the converter. They are replacing the batteries and converter should be done Monday. I’ll be happy if that takes care of it and I’ll have a better knowledge of how to troubleshoot for the next time it happens.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:50 PM   #17

Quote:
They are telling me that it’s the charge side of the converter. They are replacing the batteries and converter should be done Monday. I’ll be happy if that takes care of it and I’ll have a better knowledge of how to troubleshoot for the next time it happens.
That’s good to hear. Hoping you get out and have some fun.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
That’s good to hear. Hoping you get out and have some fun.
Thank you. Happy holidays
Old 12-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #19

I just posted a thread about this (didn't see this thread!). I am having the same exact issue on my 2022 37TS.
TridentAccolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #20

Oh great. Sorry to hear that.

What failed on yours?

They said they would have mine done Monday or Tuesday. I’ll be asking what parts were replaced and why they went bad. I’ll be sure to update this post