Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

House batteries

What is the biggest house batteries I can put into my very new to me 2016 Jayco Seneca. Right now I have 25 anp 160 min ? Would like to put 75 amp .
ibubuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #2

You can put as many batteries as you want or have space for. I believe that the 2016 unit has 4 12 volt batteries I am not sure what the amperage was. I switched my unit to 4 6 volt batteries. These are paired together to make a 12 vt system with 220 amp hours. Others have started to install lithium and have systems up to 600 amp hours.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:59 PM   #3

Seems you should be getting double 220 a/h. Each pr of 6 volts are 220 a/h right?
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #4

Each 6 volt battery is 220 amp hours. So at 12 volts you have 220ah for each pair or total of 440. With a 50%usable amp hour. I came up with about 220 usable. Let me know if I am off on the math.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:00 PM   #5

I know its splitting hairs but useable wasn't mentioned. I am aware of lead acid batteries limitations. But in a pinch you can use much more than 50% although permanent damage/ lowered capacity will ensue. That being said, 6 volt batteries are more robust than other lead acid options and will " bounce back", be more resilient, than most deep cycle lead acid 12 v options. Just for the record, others may not be aware.
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:40 PM   #6

Ok. I finished the battery swap to Lithium. The following was done:

1. replaced BIM with Lithium capable model. (Need to install switch will explain below)
2. Replaced converter to support lithium batteries. Very easy.
3. Replaced batteries with 100ah 12v Ampere time.

So, all told, it took me about 3 hours. One hour of that was spent fixing the Battery Disconnect Solenoid. Yes, it was explained to me that you CANNOT charge the Ampere Time batteries below 32 degrees. I live in California and my fix to that is to pull the breaker to the converter if I am plugged in and nights fall below 32. I will also install a switch to kill the ignition signal to the BIM so if I have to drive the RV, I will flick the switch and no charging until the temp increases. I have only used the RV a few days where the temp falls below freezing at night and turning off the converter seems to be a really easy fix.

I just used the RV over the weekend at 6,000 feet at mid 80's during the day. Never ran my AC, but I ran two pellet BBQs, radio, 80 Feet of LED lights and the batteries were awesome. Only ran generator for about 60 minutes over 4 days. I do have 125 Watt solar panels that were being used as well. I had the same RV in the same spot last year with 2 year old lead acid batteries and had the run the generator most of the time.

I have pictures, but I guess I can't post them because my website is not HTTPS. PM me for pix.
tpastorini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpastorini View Post
Ok. I finished the battery swap to Lithium. The following was done:

1. replaced BIM with Lithium capable model. (Need to install switch will explain below)
2. Replaced converter to support lithium batteries. Very easy.
3. Replaced batteries with 100ah 12v Ampere time.

So, all told, it took me about 3 hours. One hour of that was spent fixing the Battery Disconnect Solenoid. Yes, it was explained to me that you CANNOT charge the Ampere Time batteries below 32 degrees. I live in California and my fix to that is to pull the breaker to the converter if I am plugged in and nights fall below 32. I will also install a switch to kill the ignition signal to the BIM so if I have to drive the RV, I will flick the switch and no charging until the temp increases. I have only used the RV a few days where the temp falls below freezing at night and turning off the converter seems to be a really easy fix.

I just used the RV over the weekend at 6,000 feet at mid 80's during the day. Never ran my AC, but I ran two pellet BBQs, radio, 80 Feet of LED lights and the batteries were awesome. Only ran generator for about 60 minutes over 4 days. I do have 125 Watt solar panels that were being used as well. I had the same RV in the same spot last year with 2 year old lead acid batteries and had the run the generator most of the time.

I have pictures, but I guess I can't post them because my website is not HTTPS. PM me for pix.
The question we all have... What is the total you have you spent on this battery swap?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:36 AM   #8

Batteries from Amazon $2,218.44
Updated Converter from Leisure Time Distributors $280.00
BIM from Amazon $187.05
$2,685.00 all in.
tpastorini is offline   Reply With Quote