Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2018, 05:43 AM   #1

house batteries in 14 Seneca not charging

Hi all I have a 2014 Seneca and my house batteries are not charging. I left on a weeklong vacation had no problems came back unplugged everything in the RV and plugged in my 4 bank battery tender. The next day I opened the door went to turn on the master switch it would not come on. I had to start the coach for a few minutes then the master switch came on not sure why batteries are discharging so quickly after having use the coach for one week Street any suggestions
marcstiefeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcstiefeld View Post
Hi all I have a 2014 Seneca and my house batteries are not charging. I left on a weeklong vacation had no problems came back unplugged everything in the RV and plugged in my 4 bank battery tender. The next day I opened the door went to turn on the master switch it would not come on. I had to start the coach for a few minutes then the master switch came on not sure why batteries are discharging so quickly after having use the coach for one week Street any suggestions
Are they the original Harris "dual purpose" batteries? If so they might be shot and won't hold a charge. My original Harris batteries gave up long ago so I swapped them for Trojan 6-volt "true" deep-cycle batteries unlike the original Harris batteries. Very happy with the swap.

Regarding charging, they should charge from the converter and/or the chassis alternator. If they are not charging from the converter, check the 120-volt breaker for the converter and cycle it on and off to make sure it is actually energized. Also check the reverse polarity fuses in the power panel to make sure they aren't blown. Beyond that you could check voltages with multimeter if you have one and know where to check.

In your power panel, do you see a small green LED light (through a small hole in the panel) on or blinking when connected to shore power or with the generator running? It will tell you what mode the converter's battery charging circuit is using to charge the batteries. If no LED, you may have no power to the converter (check breaker) or a problem with the converter itself. But our Progressive Dynamics units are usually very reliable.

On my original Harris batteries, one developed an internal short. It would get physically warm just sitting there (not charging) and would drain the others in short order. Once charged with your external charger let them sit a while and see if any are warmer than the rest. And if you can get them individually load tested. I bet you will find out they are diminished.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #3

Here is a link to the manual for the converter in my 2014 TS, I would bet big money it is the same as yours! It might help your troubleshooting.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/d...?do=file&id=41
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #4

Is there a reason to use a battery tender versus the onboard system?