Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #1

House batteries not charging

I had an issue on our 5300 mile trip out west that we just got back from last week. I wanted to share what happened and how I fixed it just incase any of you run into the same situation.

Our house batteries got to where they would not hold a charge. When I would unplug from shore power or turn off the generator the refrigerator would almost immediately start beeping and read LOW DC. I just replaced all 4 house batteries last summer.

I immediately logged into here and did a search to see if anyone else had had the same issue. The post I read said to look for a ground wire on the rear of the chassis that sometimes comes loose because a screw head breaks off. Well evidently that had happened to the previous owner, because it had already been fixed.

With all the crap that breaks on these rattle traps, I come well prepared when I head out on a big trip. Lord knows what will break around the next corner. I had my ohm meter with me. I disconnect all the batteries from one another in a rest area and started checking voltages. 12.4....12.5....12.3.....11.2 BINGO. Mr 11.2 voltage battery I assumed had a bad cell. I stopped by an ORielly in Wyoming, replaced the battery and now all if fine. I guess that one bad cell was killing the whole battery bank.

Just letting you guys know what happened, just in case it happens to you.

I try to wave at all the Seneca's I meet out there on the interstate. I roll a lot of miles, so you'll eventually meet me. If you need help, I have a big tool box with me....LOL.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Seneca.jpg  
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:44 PM   #2

ouch, Glad ya found it, Been there with semis and combines, Like your toys, Maybe meet ya on a mountain trail.
Jump in say hey is offline   Reply With Quote