Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2018, 08:39 PM   #1

House Battery Replacement For Seneca

I am looking to replace the 4 house batteries I have. Not sure if the PO installed these or they may be factory from 2016. They are "The Best Battery" High performance marine battery group 27 90AH with 175RC. I have never heard of them but probably a private label of one of the few battery manufacturers out there.
Is there a particular battery brand out there that most everyone has had good experience with? And if you used flooded lead acid or AGM?
I used NAPA group 27's standard flooded lead acid deep cycles on my last unit and had good luck with those.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #2

I have been very pleased with my Trojan T-105 6-volt batteries. They are "true" deep-cycle batteries, not a dual-purpose "Marine" battery. I also invested in Trojan's "HydroLink" system which allows me to quickly add water to all 4 batteries simultaneously precisely filling each cell without overfilling them.

Real secret to long life is not to excessively discharge them, properly and fully recharge them, and to keep them properly watered.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #3

Did the Trojan's fit right into the battery tray with no modifications or did you have to make some adjustments?
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #4

Very slightly taller but that was not an issue. Obviously the wiring needs to be adapted to provide 12-volts.

Below is a picture of mine in the tray with the HydroLink connected as well as the power connections. Pardon the dirt, this picture was taken and annotated in the middle of a long road trip in order to help another Seneca owner!
Attached Thumbnails
Battery wiring.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

Our original house batteries were Harris. Since yours are a different brand, you may have newer than original batteries from the PO. The only rating they had listed on the battery was RC @ 25A 160min, so it looks like you currently have better cells in your rig than what came with it.

We did replace our original Harris house batteries this year that were tagged with an 8/14 stickers on them, we took a different approach than others (what they did was good, ours was just different) based on access to a larger group 31 battery at $73/each. We had never deep-cycled our original batteries since we use the Energy-command 30 automatic feature all the time, so we thought that ultra-expensive deep cycle batteries would be overkill vs the $73 deal on a standard dual purpose deep cycle battery.

The Group 31 will fit the battery tray - but requires modification to the bottom where there are partitions welded to keep the smaller batteries from sliding around in the tray. A typical welders grinder had them removed in 10-minutes, with the longest wait for the spay paint to dry in the bottom of the tray.

After the paint was dry, dropped the new cells in the tray and hooked all of the original connections to the new batteries in the same way they were before.

Our choice was mostly based on the availability of these larger batteries at a killer price. I wished all of our other vehicles could use(fit) these group 31 units as we are battery poor with a total of 17 batteries installed in our vehicles right now .
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #6

I have always used Trojan 105's. Out 2018 came with 4 new 12 volt Interstate deep cycle and first thing I did was swap them out for 6 volt Trojans. The Interstates went to use in my sons trailer and my boat.
Attached Thumbnails
i-tR2QKdB-X2.jpg  

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #7

We always choose the 6 volt golf cart batteries from Costco for about $90 each with core. We have had at least one over many motorhomes that failed within the first year and we were able to return it for a free replacement, no receipt needed.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 AM   #8

Batteries

If you do any dry camping I would highly recommend the Trojan T-105
Some day when I win the lottery I will upgrade to Li-On but for the next few years I will continue to LOVE my Trojan T-105 RE batteries Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #9

Just replaced mine with Interstate group 29 deep cycle. $122 each, with 210 RC @25 amp. Had to grind out the metal bracket as these batteries are linger than original.
JJFRANCIS is offline   Reply With Quote