Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Done. And it seems to work with no smoke or odor. Lol

Went with Duracell’s since they were readily available at Sams Club and got pretty good reviews. Most of our boon docking will probably be at Walmart.

Thanks for the assistance.
Hi Mark,

Going to replace my Harris batteries with 6 volt this week. I am also interested in the Duracells. Are you satisfied with yours?

Thanks!
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Hi Mark,

Going to replace my Harris batteries with 6 volt this week. I am also interested in the Duracells. Are you satisfied with yours?

Thanks!
Hi Dave.
To be honest, I really don’t know how to answer that question. I don’t know if they are really much better than what I had. On paper they are but it still seems they drop from 12.7 to 12.5 within a couple of hours and by the morning of Walmarting down to 12.3 ish with only the fridge on. I keep thinking I must have some unknown parasitic draw. Maybe my expectations were too high but personally if I were to do it again I would maybe go with go with Trojans or another higher end battery. Or at least until I priced them. Lol. Not what you wanted to hear I know. Sorry.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #23

I am seeing that everyone on this thread did standard lead-acid. Any reason that 6V AGM batteries were not used? Of the research I did, it seamed that was even better.

Thanks in advance
tpastorini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpastorini View Post
I am seeing that everyone on this thread did standard lead-acid. Any reason that 6V AGM batteries were not used? Of the research I did, it seamed that was even better.

Thanks in advance
I just got done recently switching fro four 6v Trojan Flooded batteries to six 6v Lifeline AGM. Could have been cost, AGM do run a little more but worth it...plus no more watering!
Attached Thumbnails
AAC17081-7D02-4756-9757-1071A98E1270.jpeg   65B25FA9-E5AF-4534-9119-9C69B2AFE6DE.jpeg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Hi Mark,

Thanks!
I decided to quantify my answer to you. I unplugged the shoreline, turned everything with a switch off, including the inverter, but left the battery solenoid turned on. After 24 hours the voltage reading on panel was 12.4 volts and at 48 hours the voltage is down to 12.3.

I don’t know if this is normal, if a parasitic drain or if a battery(ies) is bad. I do know that if the refrigerator is running I’m good for about a day.

I will be pulling the batteries out soon so I can clean and paint the battery tray and will test the batteries individually.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I just got done recently switching fro four 6v Trojan Flooded batteries to six 6v Lifeline AGM. Could have been cost, AGM do run a little more but worth it...plus no more watering!
I see you only had the Trojans for a little over 2yrs. Did they fail or did u just want to make the change
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #27

Novice battery question - If I replace the 12V batteries with 6V is it a one to one swap or do I need two 6V for each 12V?

Thanks for all the information on this site!
allanlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma/opa View Post
I see you only had the Trojans for a little over 2yrs. Did they fail or did u just want to make the change

No they didnt fail, they were still doing great. We bookdock a lot and I have converted our Norcold fridge to a compressor style with the JC Refrigeration unit and it now runs off the inverter. Been wanting to move to six batteries and AGM for a while and when a friend called me to ask about upgrading his Harris batteries to 6volts Trojans I said....."well I'll make you a deal" I really like to not deal with watering and even though I had a watering system on it, its just another thing to remember.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanlr View Post
Novice battery question - If I replace the 12V batteries with 6V is it a one to one swap or do I need two 6V for each 12V?

Thanks for all the information on this site!

If you have four 12 volts, you put in four 6 volts. The 2 pair of the 6 volts are wired together in series to make 12 volts, then the 2 sets are wired in together parallel.
Attached Thumbnails
batts2.gif   i-jDmFsCN-XL.jpg  

Old 12-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #30

Thank you, making sense now!
allanlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #31

I decided it was time to take a look at the battery compartment. What a mess!

I scraped what I could out and then plugged the drain holes and gave the tray a nice baking soda bath to get rid of all the acid residue followed by a good rinse. Sanded what I could and then sprayed the tray with truck bed liner paint.

While the batteries are out I tested each and all have a reading of 6.3-6.4 volts. I leave them out a couple days to see how much they drop.
Attached Thumbnails
B8FC09B1-3DD3-4247-B12B-287A6CAC8308.jpg   C7AD3695-BE96-417A-B5DE-24B506BF77FA.jpg  
Old 12-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I decided it was time to take a look at the battery compartment. What a mess!

I scraped what I could out and then plugged the drain holes and gave the tray a nice baking soda bath to get rid of all the acid residue followed by a good rinse. Sanded what I could and then sprayed the tray with truck bed liner paint.

While the batteries are out I tested each and all have a reading of 6.3-6.4 volts. I leave them out a couple days to see how much they drop.
—————————-

After letting the batteries sit disconnected for 24 hours they each read between 6.29-6.31. That’s a drop of about .09 volts in 24 hours. I’m going to assume that’s good and not think about this for a while.
Old 06-28-2023, 08:47 AM   #33

I have Harris 6 volt batteries and the inverter won’t charge them.
Maybe this is an inverter question.
We have only camped twice with the Senica and it seems like all we have is problems.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:59 AM   #34

The inverter is for changing 12 vdc to 120 vac. You need to look at the converter which is located in the power panel. Check to be sure all your battery connections are tight. Then use a multimeter to see if you are getting a charge from the converter. There are several dc fuses on the unit and even reverse polarity fuses in case someone hooked the batteries up wrong.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote