Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2021, 06:21 PM   #1

How long will the house batteries power the fridge

I have a 2022 37k and I am wondering how long the house batteries will power the residential fridge with out running the genny or plugging it?
Grumpy413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:55 PM   #2

Not long enough
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:14 PM   #3

I have a ‘21 Kmodel, check your inverter display. Mine says the fridge uses ~110 watts when it’s running.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, 110 watts divided by 12(volts) equals 9.1 amps.
4 house batteries @224 amp hours each, (per batt mfr web site), maybe you get 100+.
So figure you might get 400 a/h total, at 9.1 amps I came up with 43 hours, not counting the time the fridge might actually be off.
We’ve gone overnight many times, usually would run the gen at some point during the day when off grid. Just installed solar, now we can go indefinitely without having to run the gen
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewrench View Post
I have a ‘21 Kmodel, check your inverter display. Mine says the fridge uses ~110 watts when it’s running.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, 110 watts divided by 12(volts) equals 9.1 amps.
4 house batteries @224 amp hours each, (per batt mfr web site), maybe you get 100+.
So figure you might get 400 a/h total, at 9.1 amps I came up with 43 hours, not counting the time the fridge might actually be off.
We’ve gone overnight many times, usually would run the gen at some point during the day when off grid. Just installed solar, now we can go indefinitely without having to run the gen
I think your numbers are close... but you need to add the rest of the Seneca to the battery load along with the Fridge load... and take into consideration that lead acid batteries only can be discharged to 50% of the AH rating.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #5

Thank you

Your so right spider…..
I picked it up and drove it to the house but was not yet set up with a plug in location yet. I am hoping the batteries can keep the fridge powered over night with out the generator running then I’ll plug it into a 15 amp just for the inverter and fridge and batteries to have power. Tell me if I’m wrong though this is my first time with a residential fridge in my RV.

After searching this forum for the past week gathering information on this RV I have already seen that I need to live next door to Rustynuts and Brian Miller and a crossed the street from Grumpy…

Again thank you all for your input as this new adventure begins.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:18 AM   #6

I did use the 50% number on the batteries.OP asked about the fridge, of course the rest of the battery run time estimated depends on what else you turn on.
It’ll be fine in the driveway overnight.
I keep our rig plugged in all the time at home, just a 15amp outlet. I run the fridge and make ice before we fill it.
If I need to run a lot of electrical, like roof air etc., then it’s probably time to exercise the generator anyway.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewrench View Post
I did use the 50% number on the batteries.OP asked about the fridge, of course the rest of the battery run time estimated depends on what else you turn on.
It’ll be fine in the driveway overnight.
I keep our rig plugged in all the time at home, just a 15amp outlet. I run the fridge and make ice before we fill it.
If I need to run a lot of electrical, like roof air etc., then it’s probably time to exercise the generator anyway.
Thank you I fell much better now about the plug concerns. I have checked with an electrician about running a 50 amp plug to the side of the house.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #8

Are the house batteries 6 volt or 12 volt? I believe they started putting in four 6 volt batteries and when putting 2 - 225ah 6 volts together you still only have 225ah but at 12volts. If they are 12 volt you add the ah's together. So if you have four 6 volts you only have a total of 450ah and at 50% usage, you really only have 225ah of actual use without damage.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy413 View Post
Thank you I fell much better now about the plug concerns. I have checked with an electrician about running a 50 amp plug to the side of the house.

If you dont ever intend to use the AC's or heavy use of the coach at home, all you need is a 20 amp plugin at home to plug the coach into. The converter will keep coach and chassis batteries all charged up. I am able to even run one AC on mine if needed. No need to have a 50amp plug unless you intent to live in it.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:23 PM   #10

20 amp sure will be cheaper to install than 50 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
If you dont ever intend to use the AC's or heavy use of the coach at home, all you need is a 20 amp plugin at home to plug the coach into. The converter will keep coach and chassis batteries all charged up. I am able to even run one AC on mine if needed. No need to have a 50amp plug unless you intent to live in it.
20 amp will be a lot cheaper to install as well. The run of wire for the 50amp was going to be expensive. I only want to keep everything charged and maybe run the a/c time to time. I’m in south Florida and things tend to get a little musty if you don’t keep up on them. My last RV was powered by lithium batteries and solar with the additional ability to charge by driving so never worried about plugging it in.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:24 PM   #11

Good catch on my math Rusty, just went out and looked, they are 6v batts. I thought my results looked a little on the generous side. So more like 25 hours. We have run the fridge and furnace overnight when off grid, I don’t think I ever saw the house bank below 12.4 when waking up.
At that number I start figuring out how we’re going to charge up. 3 choices, gen, plug in, or drive it.
I don’t need any gen auto-start nanny. Might be the one thing that I have never used…
4 choices now with the solar.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #12
Drv

My real world experience is 15-18hrs max with just the fridge and bathroom vent fan running(besides various system draws) while parked out front of house not plugged in. Temp inside rig was 90's so fridge was running a lot.
I have 4 6v house batteries like you and mine were abused by dealer on their lot so you might get a little more.

If you want to just run one A/C you could run 30amp or put soft starts on both A/C's and probably get by with running them both with staggered starts.
Otherwise, as stated regular 15/20 amp outlet will power fridge and keep everything charged up.
Drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #13

Propane?

I can run my Refrig on gas for weeks. Is this an option over batteries?
mcwoods2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #14

Nope its a residential fridge… battery, generator or hookups
Old 08-25-2021, 04:16 PM   #15

We ran ours on our initial run from the dealer to the house for about 6.5 hours. We have a residential fridge and the Jayco solar package with 2 panels. The fridge and ice were as good as when we left. mama extended the slides before i had a chance to hook up AC power, and no issues although she felt that they extended a bit slow.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #16

20 amp plugin?

Quote:
Hi All - just got home after purchasing our first 2022 37k. After 3 days and 2000 miles we love it. No problems thus far. Question related to this thread.. we also don't have a 50amp outlet at home... but I was intrigued by the notion I could just plug into a 110v and keep batteries fresh.... Was wondering how to do that? All I think I have is a 50Amp cord hanging off the reel. Is there another place I might plug a 110v into on the coach someplace that I haven't found?
DamnWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnWalker View Post
Hi All - just got home after purchasing our first 2022 37k. After 3 days and 2000 miles we love it. No problems thus far. Question related to this thread.. we also don't have a 50amp outlet at home... but I was intrigued by the notion I could just plug into a 110v and keep batteries fresh.... Was wondering how to do that? All I think I have is a 50Amp cord hanging off the reel. Is there another place I might plug a 110v into on the coach someplace that I haven't found?
You use an adapter plug like this and plug righ on to your 50 amp cord.

Camco RV Dogbone Electrical Adapter with Innovative 180 Degree Bend Design and PowerGrip Handle - 15 Amp Male to 50 Amp Female, 12" (55168) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HRHWHNW...F27VVC6JKQ4BTC
Attached Thumbnails
D8B22F0A-A59B-48E5-94A7-E44E87B811A8.jpg  

Old 09-12-2021, 03:51 AM   #18

Depends on the size of the battery and the refrigerator. I have a 12 VDC refrigerator in my RV. But, in a major power outage one year I put an inverter and battery on my 27 CF house refrigerator and it lasted for 6 hours. Not sure this will help with your RV but will save your meat when the power goes out at home.
Mcburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:33 AM   #19

Quote:
You use an adapter plug like this and plug righ on to your 50 amp cord.

Camco RV Dogbone Electrical Adapter with Innovative 180 Degree Bend Design and PowerGrip Handle - 15 Amp Male to 50 Amp Female, 12" (55168) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HRHWHNW...F27VVC6JKQ4BTC
That’s fantastic! Thank you! I assume the charger on the coach knows how to deal with only one leg of 110v coming in thru the 50a cord?
DamnWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:40 AM   #20

That adapter Rustynuts mentioned should be part of your electrical goodies to keep in the RV all the time when traveling. Same goes for a similar 50A to 30A adapter should you find yourself somewhere with only 30A or a faulty 50A connection. The charger will know, yes, but remember you only have 15A going in, regardless of the plug, so plan energy usage accordingly.