Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2022, 12:03 PM   #1

How much “off level” is acceptable for slides?

Hi all, have a 2022 37M and while parked in my driveway I have a pretty significant slope towards the rear when backing in. LevelMatePRO shows it needs about 9” to bring rear up to level. Was not a problem with previous travel trailer to just drop the tongue jack to level front to rear.

I can manually use the rear Equalizer jacks without any blocks to raise it showing it still needs 6” raised to be level. Not sure what that comes out to in degrees off level.

So the question, is this too far off level to consider putting the slides out? Don’t want any issues with slides if it is too much front to rear slope. Have a residential fridge so don’t think that is a problem.

Next step will be to add a few layers of 2x12s blocks under the duallies and the jacks to raise the rear a bit more before raising more with the jacks to see if I can get closer to level.

Plan to use the rig for a guest house occasionally and I also bug out there to work when the house is full of grand kids.

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom from the group in advance!
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #2

You’ll have to build some heavy duty ramps to back it up onto if you want to get close to level, I never put any slides out unless I’m fully level.
The last thing you want is to be lifting the rear wheels off the ground at all especially on that grade. The rear axle is the only axle with the parking brake(spring brake). If you do lift where the rear wheels come off the ground it will put huge lateral load on the jacks and will damage them.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceter View Post
You’ll have to build some heavy duty ramps to back it up onto if you want to get close to level, I never put any slides out unless I’m fully level.
The last thing you want is to be lifting the rear wheels off the ground at all especially on that grade. The rear axle is the only axle with the parking brake(spring brake). If you do lift where the rear wheels come off the ground it will put huge lateral load on the jacks and will damage them.

Yeah understand the rear wheels are the only parking break. I’m only lifting until they are still in contact with the ground. Don’t want to build big ramps either to get to fully level. The question is to see how off it can be without worrying about slide issues. If it can’t be out of level at all that’s fine, I will work around it. Driveway is in serious need of resurfacing anyways as it is broken asphalt now so may see about regrading a bit.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:04 PM   #4

It's preferred to be "as level as possible" before putting slides out. If a bubble on a carpenters level touches a outer line, it's too far out of level for slides.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:09 PM   #5

If you can drive in you can pick up 3-4 inches by dropping the airbags. When parking in places that have a significant slope I drive onto blocks on the front end and then drop the air in the back. I do have to put blocks under the front equalizer as the slope alarm will come on unless I add 4-6 inches under the jack pads.

I did use the unit in a back in site in PA once that required the rear to be up almost a foot off the ground. I built ramps and backed up the ramps. These were very heavy ramps as I used 6X6 for the base and 2 inch thick plywood for ramps. I chauked the front tires and again had to add several 6x6 post under the rear jacks.

I guess if it was my house I would design a heavy duty ramp system and bases for the jacks.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:13 PM   #6

Many camp situations, you simply cant get "perfectly" level. At times when manually leveling, I just figure good enough; 1-2 inches is no concern in my experience, been off level more at times.

9" is indeed excessive. Some sort of ramp implementation seems appropriate, but note the ramp sliding problem. If you can get it to 1-2-3 inch level, I would think good enough. Although cabinet door swing, floor unlevel... will be an irritant.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote