Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2021, 11:17 AM   #1

installing a Battery Isolation Manager

I have a 2018 Seneca 37HJ. The original batteries are starting to swell and corrode the battery tray. With that said, I am thinking I want to put in some Lithium batteries when I replace the Harris flooded ones.
My big question is where do I install the BIM (Battery Isolation Manager) so I don't overload my alternator.
I called Jayco and they sent me an electrical diagram dated Oct 2019 which shows a BIM already installed. I have found the solenoid and I am thinking that is what I need to replace.

Has anyone installed Lithium batteries and a BIM on their 2018 Seneca? And if so, please share what you did.

TIA

Bob
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #2

You would need to replace the old BIM with one for lithium batteries. You will have to make sure the convert/battery charger is changed to Lithium if it has that option or install a new one which can.
Attached Thumbnails
1069671E-8D53-4CC1-816E-2EDB4BB97EBD.jpg  
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75462 View Post
You would need to replace the old BIM with one for lithium batteries. You will have to make sure the convert/battery charger is changed to Lithium if it has that option or install a new one which can.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, got that, what I am looking for is someone that has already installed and wired the BIM. I am looking for pictures and some hints on the wiring.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpietsch View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, got that, what I am looking for is someone that has already installed and wired the BIM. I am looking for pictures and some hints on the wiring.
It shows it in this diagram, it’s in the red circle.
Attached Thumbnails
4FE7B7F9-643B-4237-BA27-DBD69C57DE89.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:40 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to harryoh
Bob
I am doing the same with my 2018. My 37ts is in winter storage right now and I don't have access to it but I am collecting all the parts to do in the spring. Did you have to change your converter? Also where is the BIM located in your rig? My converter Model # is PD4590K18NS2.
TIA
harryoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoh View Post
Bob
I am doing the same with my 2018. My 37ts is in winter storage right now and I don't have access to it but I am collecting all the parts to do in the spring. Did you have to change your converter? Also where is the BIM located in your rig? My converter Model # is PD4590K18NS2.
TIA
I ended up going with AGM batteries because I got a screaming deal, $99.00 each for 100Ahr, so I put in 6 of them. Because of this I did not have to change my BIM or my converter/charger.

Some people that put in lithium have not changed out their converter/charge. There is a button on the panel right of the breakers above the fan that you can push and get a couple of hours of "super charge". I have circled in yellow the button in the attached picture.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will post and give more details.
Attached Thumbnails
20210428_185832.jpg  
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
Old 11-30-2022, 02:06 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpietsch View Post
Thanks for the reply.

You have a BIM installed now but it may look different than the new model. And the wiring is the same with the exception that some older BIMs may have a "generator" connection which is no longer needed. If your rig has that generator connection just disconnect it and tape it off.

When you swap it out make sure you disconnect both your chassis batteries and your house batteries, and be unplugged from shore power so you do not have current from your converter.
Attached Thumbnails
00-10021-000_-1024x893.jpg   Battery area wiring after LiFePO4 battery installation.jpg   Lithium BIM.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Bob
TIA
In my 2018 ts m2 the BIM is located above the batteries slide out tray. look for the one that Robbbyr posted.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Bob
TIA
That power center model number is the same as my 2014 and it DOES NOT have the switch to change it to a lithium charging profile. Newer ones do, but not ours. I did just purchase a replacement converter section to allow full charging of my lithium bank, it has the same 90 amp output as the original lead-acid unit. I sourced it from eTrailer after talking to Progressive Dynamics tech folks.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:11 AM   #11

Thanks again Rob
I guess I should just order the new converter upgrade. I see they sell them lots of places. I am in Canada so I have to look around as we get beat up with exchange rate, duty and taxes. Did your have a wizard button on it?
Old 12-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks again Rob
I guess I should just order the new converter upgrade. I see they sell them lots of places. I am in Canada so I have to look around as we get beat up with exchange rate, duty and taxes. Did your have a wizard button on it?
I do have the button to force it to change charge modes, and I did use it to "force" it into the "Boost" mode to charge the lithium somewhat. But it automatically drops back to a voltage that won't fully charge lithiums after it drops back.

Just make sure the replacement converter is indeed the lithium version, a Google search kept showing regular models.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:38 PM   #13

When you installed the lithium batteries is there anything else you did? I was thinking installing a battery monitor to know how much charge is in the battery. Since the existing one will not work. Also maybe another shut off switch down in the battery compartment.
TIA
Old 12-01-2022, 02:33 PM   #14

If the converter, BIM and batteries are switched to lithium, will the Vegatouch/Firefly screen still show battery levels?
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #15

Quote:
When you installed the lithium batteries is there anything else you did? I was thinking installing a battery monitor to know how much charge is in the battery. Since the existing one will not work. Also maybe another shut off switch down in the battery compartment.
TIA
I relocated my LiFePO4 batteries (Three Renogy 200Ah@) to the pass-thru space one compartment to the rear of the original battery compartment. I fabricated a thermostatically-controlled heated base that the 3 batteries sit on so I can still charge them in colder weather. The three batteries are tied together (paralleled) using a Victron Lynx Power In (bus bar) which I modified to include fuses for each battery. Out of the Lynx Power In on the positive side I installed a cutoff switch. On the negative side of the Lynx Power In I installed a Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor (Bluetooth) which keeps track of a whole host of information.

I also have solar PV panels on the roof and Victron MPPT controllers; one is set up in a lithium charging profile and will charge my LiFePO4 batteries, the other controller is configured for my chassis lead acid batteries and keeps them charged whenever unit is stored.

I did change the rig's Battery Isolation Manager to Precision Circuits' Lithium-compatible device, it will protect the chassis alternator from damage by limiting charging to my LiFePO4 house batteries. Since lithium batteries can rapidly absorb large charge currents you don't want to fry an alternator trying to charge depleted batteries. The new BIM also protects the chassis batteries from being overcharged by my solar system or the new (but not yet installed) replacement Lithium-compatible converter section.

And I also changed/upgraded a lot of the battery area wiring to incorporate all the additions.

I still have to tie in the BMV-712 battery monitor to my Cummins Onan EC-30 generator control panel and use my LiFePO4 batteries "State of Charge" as a "trigger" to start and run the generator if needed to keep the batteries up in the event we are not plugged in and/or the solar can't keep up. Battery voltage is not as reliable of an indication for automatic generator starting since lithium batteries hold their voltage level more consistently while being depleted, unlike lead-acid whose voltage decreases in a more linear fashion with their state of charge. I need to ensure battery power is consistent since my Norcold refrigerator was converted to the JC Refrigeration 12-volt compressor unit, it does use more power than it did running on propane.
Attached Thumbnails
20220318_181148.jpg   20220412_161251.jpg   Screenshot_20220616-142223_DC Home.jpg   Screenshot_20221024-161212.jpg   20220219_010733.jpg  

20220315_130015.jpg   20220315_142932.jpg  
Old 12-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM22 View Post
If the converter, BIM and batteries are switched to lithium, will the Vegatouch/Firefly screen still show battery levels?
Not certain, but my guess is "not accurately". The reason I say that is the battery monitor function stock is likely calibrated to lead-acid state of charge voltage levels. Those values are much different than LiFePO4 battery voltages for a given state of charge.

Perhaps there is a way to configure the system to "tell it" LiFePO4 batteries are installed. But not having that system on my rig I have not explored its options. Perhaps others will know and chime in.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:02 PM   #17

Nice job Rob can I just bring it to you? This is great information. I am not sure if I am going to put solar on yet or not, if I do would be just 200-400w of panels to keep things charged up between weekends at the races.
Thanks so much for sharing it takes the guess work out of the equation!
Old 12-01-2022, 06:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM22 View Post
Not sure if you can change the battery type in the Firefly system or not, I would think it would be possible somehow. If not, then I would just install a Victron Smart Shunt which is Bluetooth and yiu can read it on your phone. It is a very simple install.

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...-battery-shunt

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:12 PM   #19

On my 2022 Firefly you can switch to lithium.
My converter was switchable to lithium. The BIM was an easy swap. I did put my 4 100ah lithiums (LifePo4) in the battery tray but they do have freeze protection cutoff.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220730_161637.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	85368Attachment 85367
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bim, lithium