Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2021, 07:09 PM   #1

Jayco Safety Recall J1HF0092

Anyone else receive the safety recall for 2017-2020 Senecas concerning the previously recall and the cancellation on the supporting structure for the hydraulic leveling system pump and reservoir. Which is it?
Is it going to stay on or fall off, Jayco?

Randy & Linda
2018.5 Jayco Seneca 37FS
Randyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:35 PM   #2

Yes, I got two letters from Jayco today. Lol.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:54 PM   #3

Safety Recall

I too received 2 (why 2) recall letters today. (Sometime ago received one. Then one stating it was sent in error.) After receiving the very first letter I went to my local dealership & she said she would have to order the parts. Today after receiving the 2 letters I called her & told her it must be back on. She said she had received the original set of parts they had changed and she would have to reorder. Sorry if this sounds confusing.
Martigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:38 AM   #4

I've been going back and forth with Jayco Motorized regarding the pump bracket fix on my Greyhawk. One of the repair instructions they sent me pertains to the 2017-2020 Senecas.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20V-796 2021-001_Seneca_support_brkt leveling system_2.pdf (762.4 KB, 110 views)
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #5

I have a 2017 Greyhawk & received a recall notice on the Hyd. pump bracket. I crawled under unit to investigate- the original welds were terrible- looked like a 3 year old welded them with bird ****! I was in metal fabrication all of my carrier & these are some of the worst I've seen!

Local dealer said it would be 9 months before he could look at it - translated- he didn't want to do the repair/recall.

I took it to a friend of mine who runs a welding shop- had him grind off the old welds, make 2 - 45 degrees 1/4" thick gusset plates & re-weld everything. Cost me $125. It will never fail now & my sons can travel with confidence & not have to wait 9 months.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #6

I finally received my 2 identical letters today.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I finally received my 2 identical letters today.
With all that you do for all of us here on the forum, you should have gotten your letters way sooner. 😂
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
With all that you do for all of us here on the forum, you should have gotten your letters way sooner. 😂
Well I am probably the furthest West than anybody else The Pony Express is slow this time of year.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #9

New Recall

I have had three notices from Jayco. The original notice was in November of 2020 with recall numbers 20V-548:

This was withdrawn on November 30,2020 and contained the following language shown below:

A week or so ago I received new recall notice with a new recall number 20V-796.
This notice applies only to 2017-2020 Seneca models. Do all of you have this new numbered recall? Anyone checked with dealers? When the original recall came out I did my own fix as I didn’t like the look of the little welds on the support. Short skinny little vertical bead. I used a piece of Superstrut Beam Clamp and U-Bolt purchased at Home Depot. The starboard side of rig needed a shim as the existing mount was not level (big surprise). If anyone needs pictures let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
original recall November 6 2020.jpg   recall withdrawal .jpg   20V_796.jpg  
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
I have had three notices from Jayco. The original notice was in November of 2020 with recall numbers 20V-548:

This was withdrawn on November 30,2020 and contained the following language shown below:

A week or so ago I received new recall notice with a new recall number 20V-796.
This notice applies only to 2017-2020 Seneca models. Do all of you have this new numbered recall? Anyone checked with dealers? When the original recall came out I did my own fix as I didn’t like the look of the little welds on the support. Short skinny little vertical bead. I used a piece of Superstrut Beam Clamp and U-Bolt purchased at Home Depot. The starboard side of rig needed a shim as the existing mount was not level (big surprise). If anyone needs pictures let me know.

Yes the new recall is the 20V-796, I also got the Nov 20 recall letter that was then reversed, our Senecas got thrown into the same recall as the Class C by mistake. Bullitt6283 posted a copy of the recall repair instructions and it does look like it it correct and specific to the Senecas. I will probably have it added to mine or see if they will just give me the kit to install BUT I will still keep my added brace as while this new fix does address the weak weld to the frame, it is still al lot of weigh being supported on the small channel material and I could see over time, with vibration a fatigue crack starting where the new bracket ends.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Yes the new recall is the 20V-796, I also got the Nov 20 recall letter that was then reversed, our Senecas got thrown into the same recall as the Class C by mistake. Bullitt6283 posted a copy of the recall repair instructions and it does look like it it correct and specific to the Senecas. I will probably have it added to mine or see if they will just give me the kit to install BUT I will still keep my added brace as while this new fix does address the weak weld to the frame, it is still al lot of weigh being supported on the small channel material and I could see over time, with vibration a fatigue crack starting where the new bracket ends.
I guess I skipped over Bullitt's attachment. Took the time to review and it looks adequate. I could probably drill the same frame hole and bolt down the port side SuperStut to better effect and have a mount that goes across to opposite frame rail.
Let me know if you sweet talk Jayco out of sending you the kit direct!
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:21 AM   #12

There is a NHTSA Part 573 Safety Recall Report out on 20V-796 that establishes the recall manufacturing dates as April 1, 2015 through July 17, 2019. Jayco states that after July 2019 extra welds were made between the support channel and the bottom flange of the frame rail. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V796-7130.PDF

So with all that, I'm wondering if this is the final limit of the issue going forward. And what was the mounting system prior to April 2015 that is adequate? This mounting system reminds me of a diving board and the load is still hanging out there flexing the support.

Rusty's Unistrut channel and beam clamp fix that spans frame to frame seems like a much more durable solution. And I guess if drilling a 7/16" hole through the flange is OK then you should be able to drill a much smaller hole through the starboard frame flange and use standard Unistrut hardware...
JohnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #13

Recall Almost Complete

My 2018 Greyhawk was recalled for the same issue. The dealer went out of their way to squeeze me in. The first fix was temporary with parts from Home Depot. The final fix is scheduled for this Friday. Again the dealer was more than accomodating when it to came to making an appointment and then rescheduling because of snow. The longest wait was 3 weeks.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #14

Yes. We received a notice for 2020 Greyhawk Prestige but have not
inquired about it yet with the Dealer
DB4035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #15

Mine fell off, 2019 Entegra Esteem, Called Camping World, several weeks to repair. I constructed my own structure for the pump and tank.
pscearcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
Let me know if you sweet talk Jayco out of sending you the kit direct!
I am going through my local Jayco dealer which doesnt even sell Motorhomes. I talked to them today and they said they will get the kit ordered. I mentioned that I could just put it on since its a drill and bolt on and they said "We'll see what we can work out"

Old 03-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #17

We have a 2021 Greyhawk with same issues. Taking it in to the dealership to fix. Also have a recall concerning the Ford 450 chassis that could overheat.
Pastorlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #18

I just talked to Jayco Motorized about my 2020 Accolade and this pump bracket recall. There are no Accolades being recalled and the reason given is that the Accolades go down a different assembly line than the Senecas.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorlarry View Post
We have a 2021 Greyhawk with same issues. Taking it in to the dealership to fix. Also have a recall concerning the Ford 450 chassis that could overheat.
This shoudn’t be an issue on 2021s .... I wonder if you were just unlucky?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I just talked to Jayco Motorized about my 2020 Accolade and this pump bracket recall. There are no Accolades being recalled and the reason given is that the Accolades go down a different assembly line than the Senecas.
But they are built on the same assembly line Possible that they had already started adding additional bracing on the pump unit by time the Accolades started coming off the line. It would be interesting to see a picture of your pump mount.