Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2022, 11:56 AM   #1

Jayco Seneca Frozen hot water lines

Hello,

I am in single digit weather and my hot water line froze…cold still working nicely. I had a space heater in the wet bay and also in the main storage compartment. I believe it is frozen between the wet bay and the tankless hot water heater. I now have put a space heater in the way back compartment (removed the grey carpeted cover in the small storage compartment) but it hasn’t unfrozen yet. Does anyone know how to access the water lines between the wet bay and the tankless hot water heater?
Novax8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:11 PM   #2

First try running the generator for about 1/2 hour, the heat from it running will usually thaw that line out enough to get water flowing. Somewhere around 2020 I think some have access panels on the back of the WH compartment, between the compartment and the frame rail. I have a 2018.5 that had no access so I added a waterproof marine access panel so I could get into the back of the water heater and insulate everything.
Attached Thumbnails
7AD5EEE2-B611-4F10-BE4E-B0D5C87377BF.jpg   EED5CE2F-3589-4AA1-AEA8-49FB54DF74CE.jpg  

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:35 PM   #3

Thank you for the response @Rustynuts! So i did the generator for an hour to no avail. I crawled under there in the snow and jayco routed the water lines OUTSIDE!!!! I can believe it considering all the quality issues I have seen but it should be an easy fix…i am going to get heat tape and wrap all the lines and it should melt. I will post a picture when done. They literally routed water lines out of the wet bay under the coach (insulated about 80% of the lines…rest bare) then back into the rear compartment where the tankless hot water heater is. Pretty half a$$’d for an expensive rig.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:43 PM   #4

What year is yours? I have read on the newer ones the lines are exposed, they didn’t do anything like that on our 2018.5.

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:45 PM   #5

It’s a 2021. So you read correct! I suppose on one hand its way easier to replace the water heater but they should have heated those lines. Terrible design but I suspect plus in heat tape plus more insulation should work perfectly.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novax8 View Post
It’s a 2021. So you read correct! I suppose on one hand its way easier to replace the water heater but they should have heated those lines. Terrible design but I suspect plus in heat tape plus more insulation should work perfectly.
Sounds like you have spotted the problem. Why the water lines were routed outside I have no idea, but I think you are on the right track with the heat tape.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novax8 View Post
What model is yours?
GibbysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:01 PM   #8

Frozen pipes between wet bay and hot water tank

Same thing happened to me just now , I have ran the generator all day today but it did nothing and I put a space heater in the wet bay and still no hot water ...I guess I will have to wait in 2 days it's calling for much warmer weather
SG Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen pipes