Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #1

Keep fixing or buy a new Seneca

I have a 2013 Seneca 37FS (Tootsie). We love it. it is the has perfect size, style, layout, and capability. It has been a tormented love affair from the beginning though. We have had water leak that took a while to find and repair along with compartment hatch issues. There were a number of other minor things that I expect are pretty typical of RVs. I am quite handy with experience in auto repair and home construction so I did all the repairs myself except of the original water issue as that was covered under warranty.

Tootsie is now 6 years old and I see the list of repairs/maintenance items that will need to be done soon racking up. Slide toppers, 6 new tires, resealing end caps and roof, reupholstery of any thing vinyl are the biggies. The vinyl is a huge disappointment in particular, the other things I could accept. We don't have a ton of money into her that would be lost if she were traded (less than $1000 of non-transferable upgrades).

So my question to you all is simple: double down on Tootsie and fix/replace all these items or trade her on a new one? I am looking for any opinion, experiences with new Seneca models - particularly quality, financial considerations, etc. We expect to be RVing for a long time, probably always having some type of RV for the next 30 years.

Thanks friends.
GuidoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #2

Quick Google search show 2013 Seneca for sale around 110000 so probable actually selling for 100000. +- new units can be purchased around 160-170k. So that is a starting point. All the items you listed would probably run around 10-15 k. Personally I would probably fix everything and hold it for two or three years. But then again if I had the money new is always nice. The new chassis is more powerful, heavier duty and many of the bedroom layouts are better then earlier units. Inverter and other items seem to be upgrades as well.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #3

How many miles? After reading your post I’d double down. I have a 2016 HJ with 41,000 miles. I’ve been through just about everything on it. My DW hints every now and then about a new one but I tell her I know every inch of this one. I would have to learn a new one all over again. I’m not looking forward to replacing tires but I know it’s coming. JMO!

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #4

Tootsie lives on.... fix what you got.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If you are a good DIYer keep and fix, your total operating cost will be cheaper in the long run. Anytime you buy new, you still have to fix things with or without warranty. New looses at least 20% driving of the lot.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

Love it!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Cajun View Post
How many miles? After reading your post I’d double down. I have a 2016 HJ with 41,000 miles. I’ve been through just about everything on it. My DW hints every now and then about a new one but I tell her I know every inch of this one. I would have to learn a new one all over again. I’m not looking forward to replacing tires but I know it’s coming. JMO!
Kind of how I am feeling. We only have 18k miles on ours. The upholstery is my biggest fear. The surface layer of the vinyl is separating from the base layer on nearly every surface. Lot of work. Time to break out the sewing machine.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #8

I think I would fix it. A large chunk of your "repair costs" will be the tires which should not be an unexpected cost. Depending on where you live, the sales tax alone on a new rig could be as much as your expected repair costs.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoDoc View Post
Kind of how I am feeling. We only have 18k miles on ours. The upholstery is my biggest fear. The surface layer of the vinyl is separating from the base layer on nearly every surface. Lot of work. Time to break out the sewing machine.
Oh my... you are not even broke in yet!

For the expense you will be shelling out on a new one - I would find a good upholstery shop and have them take care of it... Real Leather this time!!!

Actually, ours is holding up remarkably well - even with lots of sharp toenails by our kids.
Attached Thumbnails
20161025_182617.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #10

A little over 60 thousand miles on our 2015/2016 37FS. Have fixed, repaired, removed, replaced, upgraded and made it our own. I can't imagine having to start doing that again. More like a house, than a car. You know of the problems you have and what you need to repair, replace and upgrade. Keep it going, and continue to make it better.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
A little over 60 thousand miles on our 2015/2016 37FS. Have fixed, repaired, removed, replaced, upgraded and made it our own. I can't imagine having to start doing that again. More like a house, than a car. You know of the problems you have and what you need to repair, replace and upgrade. Keep it going, and continue to make it better.
We are with you on this... are not near where you are in miles, but it is all about "making it our own" . Our M2 chassis is easily capable of a half-million miles before any significant repair as long as we take care of the regular Preventative maintenance. As you say, it's more like a house that takes us to places we want to go. We work in ours while we travel too...

When our kids poke a hole in the couch... we will get it fixed and keep on enjoying it.. visit places we have never been, revisit places we really like and explore North America to see the beauty it has where we live.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #12

Seneca upholstery

We had a 2013 Seneca 36FK Just sold it today. I went directly to Flexsteel and had them sew a full set of skins in "ultra leather" they have all the patterns for your upholstery so you know its going to fit 100% The skins were $4,000.00. I removed all the seat frames and sent them to my upholstery guy. Another $2,000.00 to strip and install new skins. We had our tires done in spring of 2019 for $3,800.00 Installed Toyo M154 tires. Great tires but I did not bother to check the date code stamped on our set. The sidewalls cracked in 2021at which point we realized the tires were already 3 years old before being mounted to our coach. The dealer had Toyo give is a fresh set dated 2021 and I agreed to pay the labour portion of the replacement. They were done in Jan 2022.. We absolutely loved this RV. It was my pride and joy. I documented every repair and service ever done which was great for potential buyers. My biggest beef was with Freightliner dealers. They are all booking appointments 6 to 8 weeks out so if you are on a grand tour somewhere you may end up being stranded due to long appointment dates or lack of parts due to supply chain issues. If you decide to sell, nows the time. There are major shortages this year in a classes of coaches so demand is high. After spending 9 years in our Seneca, we sold it for what we paid for it in 2013.
Tomsboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintain, repairs, seneca