Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #1

Little Help 2018 Seneca

While driving the microwave lights quit showing. Now I know the circuit for the tvs and microwave is dead. Looked at breakers and fuses under bed and everything looks good. Any advice?
AGGIE00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #2

On my Seneca those circuits are powered by 110-volts AC and can be powered by one of three sources:
1. Shore power when plugged in;
2. Generator power if not plugged in and generator running;
3. Inverter power when neither of above sources is available AND my inverter is switched "On" in my control panel.

Originally (when brand new) my front TV outlet would go dead when the truck was started, but I disconnected the trigger wire so the grandsons could watch a DVD on the TV while going down the road to pass the time. But my microwave outlet always did work even if the truck was running.

Does it work for a while when truck engine running and quit after a time? If so, it could be that the house batteries are being depleted by the inverter current draw and not being replaced by the truck's alternator. The truck's alternator should charge them, but there could be an issue with your unit preventing proper charging.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

I also thought I would mention that to power my microwave and TV circuits there are actually more than one circuit breakers involved. I have one breaker in my "main" electrical panel that powers the microwave and TV's when I have generator or shore power. It feeds AC power to the inverter transfer switch. Then in a separate small breaker panel there are breakers for the microwave itself and another for the TVs. These separate breakers protect the wiring feeding those devices but are after the inverter's power transfer switch. If those separate breakers are off, those appliances will never have power even if the generator is on or shore power was connected.

I can make a little drawing of the circuit if that would help troubleshooting.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #4

Mine has done the same thing. It's been when the microwave as in use. First time after checking all the breakers, I cycled the power to the whole camper and it came back on. Next time, that didn't work. And it was in use again. I didn't want to cycle power as I was entertaining friends. After a while it came back on by itself. I'm thinking the microwave/convection oven has an internal shutdown when it gets too hot. It was over 90 degrees both times. Next time I'm gonna check the voltage at the outlet. If it's there, that's what it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

Tech support was no help. After much time said inverter is under bed and resenting it may help. Took the cover off under the bed and didn't see anything resembling an inverter. So I looked in the house battery box for it and still no dice. But, when I pulled the battery tray out I found the ground cable to be loose. Tightened all the posts and still no dice on inverter display. So, I held the two inverter display buttons down for a few seconds, cuz wth lets see, and whala it's working. I think the loose ground caused the inverter to fault and holding the buttons reset it. Maybe
AGGIE00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #6

My inverter is on the ceiling of the compartment behind the battery compartment.

Check the status lights on the inverter control panel. On mine, if the power to inverter was off the all the TVs and microwave were off. The status light should be amber if the inverter is on and you are running off the batteries and green if on AC power.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote