Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #1

Lost 12 Volt to Levelers and steps - Seneca 37 RB

Hello All,

Seemingly overnight, I have no steps or leveler function unless I am plugged into shore power or have the generator running.

Additionally, when I start the engine, I get warning alarms from the leveler control panel warning me of low voltage and indicating the pads are down, even though they aren't.

Also, if steps were extended when I unplugged from shore power to hit the road, steps do not retract when engine is started. To remedy, I must shut down the engine, start the generator, flip the steps switch to on, and shut the door. Only then will stairs retract.

Does anyone know of a 12 fuse or breaker for the levelers/stairs? I've checked the fuse panel in the bedroom but see nothing for steps/ levelers. Is it the engine battery that powers these two functions?

All meter indications are that both batteries are fully charged, 13 plus volts.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed light on my problem or maybe steer me in the right direction.

steve
Longtimenosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #2

On my 2014 TS the steps and levelers are powered by my chassis batteries. On top of the batteries, accessed via the panel by the driver's door, there were a couple of small 12-volt post-style circuit breakers mounted to the chassis battery's hold-down bracket.

I am wondering if you have some type of corrosion, broken wire, or bad breaker in that area? Are the chassis batteries starting the engine okay?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #3

Thanks for your quick reply Rob. I will check the chassis battery area at first light tomorrow and will post a result.

steve
Old 11-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

I was inspecting my chassis batteries earlier this year and things were starting to look "marginal" in my opinion. Although under the cab, you still can get road spray up there. So I took things apart, cleaned up all the connections, replaced some "iffy looking" connectors, and then sprayed the connections with battery terminal protection spray to (hopefully) keep things reliable.

Hope it is a simple thing!

Rob
Old 11-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #5

This happened to me and its an easy fix!

On top Of the chassis batteries is a little breaker, just reach in there and reset the breaker.
Chassis batteries are under the drivers seat behind a panel.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #6

Try resetting the breaker @ Chassis batteries....as described above.
2017 37FS
curbhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
On my 2014 TS the steps and levelers are powered by my chassis batteries. On top of the batteries, accessed via the panel by the driver's door, there were a couple of small 12-volt post-style circuit breakers mounted to the chassis battery's hold-down bracket.

I am wondering if you have some type of corrosion, broken wire, or bad breaker in that area? Are the chassis batteries starting the engine okay?

Presto!! There was indeed a flipped breaker on the chassis battery. Resetti g it seems to have solved the issue. Hopefully the breaker is still good and won't trip again.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #8

Presto!! There was indeed a tripped breaker on the chassis battery.

Thanks again for your quick reply Rob, and also thanks to others who also replied with similar advice.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #9

Glad it was that simple. Too bad the breaker isn't in a spot more accessible and that you have to pop the battery cover off. But you want the fuse/breaker close to the power source to protect the wiring run. Oh well!
Old 11-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
So I took things apart, cleaned up all the connections, replaced some "iffy looking" connectors, and then sprayed the connections with battery terminal protection spray to (hopefully) keep things reliable.
You must have a surgeon's hands cause I could barely reach to the rear battery to clean and coat the connections. I assume there is enough slack in the cables so you can remove the fore battery and slide the aft battery foreword for better access. Hope I never have to replace them!
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
You must have a surgeon's hands cause I could barely reach to the rear battery to clean and coat the connections. I assume there is enough slack in the cables so you can remove the fore battery and slide the aft battery foreword for better access. Hope I never have to replace them!
I had the driver's side step off giving me a little better access. Even then it had its challenges!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #12

Crazy issue

That same thing happened to me on the way to the Hershey RV show and i didn't get it figured out until we got back and I could work with the RV. Interestingly, the steps and levelers would work after the ignition was off for 10/15 min. Once I reset that breaker everything has been fine since.

It's usually always what Rob says; I think he told me how to fix it when I had the problem too!